Premiere League & World Soccer Thread

Midfield was where that was won. Caicedo and Gallagher were massive. Cucurella also inverting into midfield helped a lot there too. They seemed to really overwhelm Bissouma especially.

I hear you on set pieces though. Idk what the numbers look like on set piece expected goals after today but coming into the match Chelsea had the lowest XG from set pieces in the league. Spurs were tied for 2nd lowest. Chelsea are a tad bit better defending them but still middle of the pack, while Spurs are bottom 3. Neither of our teams have been near good enough in that department this season. We just hired Brentfords set piece coach and he will start next season. Fingers crossed he can make an impact.
I was hoping Ange would recycle the midfield at halftime but he waited until the hour mark. Not sure it would’ve made a difference. Gallagher really impressed me.

And Bissouma is an odd case: pre-AFCON Bissouma was a borderline world class 6 and a big reason why we went on that initial run at the start of the season (press resistant, progressive and always picked the right pass); post-AFCON Bissouma, on the other hand, looks lethargic, unmotivated and out of his depth in the Premier League. I know he contracted malaria during his time in Africa but our doctors assured us he was over it. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Glad you guys got a set piece coach haha I’m jealous. Brentford’s coach should be a good one. Ange keeps insisting in his press conferences that we have bigger issues than set pieces. Which may be true but we’ve given up 4 goals in the last 2 games on set pieces. And like you said, we’ve been terrible pretty much all year. Both scoring and defending them.

Reactions: Nash_Vol97
The yellow wall was rocking against PSG, and Bayern's display of Franz Beckenbauer was amazing. May be an all German final.

I was hoping Ange would recycle the midfield at halftime but he waited until the hour mark. Not sure it would’ve made a difference. Gallagher really impressed me.

And Bissouma is an odd case: pre-AFCON Bissouma was a borderline world class 6 and a big reason why we went on that initial run at the start of the season (press resistant, progressive and always picked the right pass); post-AFCON Bissouma, on the other hand, looks lethargic, unmotivated and out of his depth in the Premier League. I know he contracted malaria during his time in Africa but our doctors assured us he was over it. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Glad you guys got a set piece coach haha I’m jealous. Brentford’s coach should be a good one. Ange keeps insisting in his press conferences that we have bigger issues than set pieces. Which may be true but we’ve given up 4 goals in the last 2 games on set pieces. And like you said, we’ve been terrible pretty much all year. Both scoring and defending them.
The way that Poch has deployed Gallagher, Enzo and Caicedo for most of the year has been my biggest gripe with Poch. Gallagher had been playing kind of a hybrid attacking mid if you want to call it that. His problem has always been how to reign him in and the question of what his best position is though. He and Enzo were both pressing up way high, especially Gallagher but that was by Pochs design, and Caicedo would be left isolated as a 6 and that's just not his best role. He can play it, but he's best as a box to box 8. With Enzo out, Gallagher and Caicedo are playing more as double 8s with help from Cucurella inverting into the deeper 6 hybrid role in possession. It's worked really well. Cucurella played this role a lot when he was with Brighton so he knows it well.

Unfortunately, Gallagher will still probably be sold. No new contract offers yet. If we do sell him, sounds like y'all are still interested in him. It'd be interesting to see where he would fit in with Anges system. Madisson looked stellar until his injury so when he's healthy I don't think Gallagher would take his spot. Maybe in that role as a super sub to close out games. I'm much less sure on Sarr’s role. Maybe that's who he could replace? Either way, I'm sure Ange would love to have his pressing ability and his non-stop engine in midfield. I hope we don't sell him but I also don't see a starting path for him when Enzo, Caicedo and Lavia are all healthy. From a financial standpoint, he's either sell or re-sign this summer since he will be going into the last year of his deal. Can't let him walk on a free.

Had no idea about Bissouma contracting malaria while at AFCON. I could see that definitely having some lingering effects. Between AFCON, the Asian Cup, and injuries, it just seemed like the team as a whole couldn't recover their form they had to start the year. My opinion is Ange has shown enough that you should spend some money getting guys that he wants to fit his system even better than the current group. Plus, as you mentioned, maybe getting some fresh ideas in the staff for set pieces too. You just never know with Levy though.

Reactions: Charlie Kelly
The yellow wall was rocking against PSG, and Bayern's display of Franz Beckenbauer was amazing. May be an all German final.
The Yellow Wall is incredible. Love seeing what they pull out for big matches, especially their Tifo’s. Bucket list item to attend a game there. Out of the 4 teams left I think I'm pulling for them.

Reactions: Woodrow Call
The Yellow Wall is incredible. Love seeing what they pull out for big matches, especially their Tifo’s. Bucket list item to attend a game there. Out of the 4 teams left I think I'm pulling for them.
I’m not pulling for a team, I’m pulling for one player.

The way that Poch has deployed Gallagher, Enzo and Caicedo for most of the year has been my biggest gripe with Poch. Gallagher had been playing kind of a hybrid attacking mid if you want to call it that. His problem has always been how to reign him in and the question of what his best position is though. He and Enzo were both pressing up way high, especially Gallagher but that was by Pochs design, and Caicedo would be left isolated as a 6 and that's just not his best role. He can play it, but he's best as a box to box 8. With Enzo out, Gallagher and Caicedo are playing more as double 8s with help from Cucurella inverting into the deeper 6 hybrid role in possession. It's worked really well. Cucurella played this role a lot when he was with Brighton so he knows it well.

Unfortunately, Gallagher will still probably be sold. No new contract offers yet. If we do sell him, sounds like y'all are still interested in him. It'd be interesting to see where he would fit in with Anges system. Madisson looked stellar until his injury so when he's healthy I don't think Gallagher would take his spot. Maybe in that role as a super sub to close out games. I'm much less sure on Sarr’s role. Maybe that's who he could replace? Either way, I'm sure Ange would love to have his pressing ability and his non-stop engine in midfield. I hope we don't sell him but I also don't see a starting path for him when Enzo, Caicedo and Lavia are all healthy. From a financial standpoint, he's either sell or re-sign this summer since he will be going into the last year of his deal. Can't let him walk on a free.

Had no idea about Bissouma contracting malaria while at AFCON. I could see that definitely having some lingering effects. Between AFCON, the Asian Cup, and injuries, it just seemed like the team as a whole couldn't recover their form they had to start the year. My opinion is Ange has shown enough that you should spend some money getting guys that he wants to fit his system even better than the current group. Plus, as you mentioned, maybe getting some fresh ideas in the staff for set pieces too. You just never know with Levy though.
Yeah I can see that with Gallagher. It’s like Enzo, Caicedo and Gallagher all play similar positions and there’s no true 6. I did notice Cucurella pushing up a lot in our game which makes sense to take pressure off of Caicedo. I think Poch will figure it out eventually if you guys are patient enough and give him what he wants this summer. He was an excellent manager for us and I think Mourinho and Conte were poetic justice for the way we fired him just months after that Champion’s League loss.

As far as Gallagher is concerned, from everything I’ve heard Ange is still definitely interested. I think he wants him as a box-to-box 8 though so he would likely be replacing Sarr and/or Bentancur in our lineup (probably Sarr). It would still be weird for a player so obviously pro-Chelsea to end up at Tottenham. We’ll see what happens this summer; Levy can be a stickler with money but I think he’ll back Ange. We’ve been growing financially for a while and the new stadium is starting to pay dividends. Plus, we’ll likely sell Lo Celso, Hojberg, Dier and Gil which should generate at least 40 million or so. I know we’ll be in the market for a 6, 9 and left winger for sure. Probably a backup defender too. Jimenez (Feyenoord) and Ederson (Atalanta) are the two names I keep hearing for the 9 and the 6.

And yeah, I can’t complain about Ange at the moment. We’re higher up in the table than I thought we would be after losing Kane. Finishing 5th is a pretty solid season when it was supposed to be a transition year. If we’re still in this spot next year though, the pressure will start to mount. The fans are desperate for some kind of trophy. Cup, Europa, whatever at this point. I don’t think we’re too picky about what as long as it’s something.

Yeah I can see that with Gallagher. It’s like Enzo, Caicedo and Gallagher all play similar positions and there’s no true 6. I did notice Cucurella pushing up a lot in our game which makes sense to take pressure off of Caicedo. I think Poch will figure it out eventually if you guys are patient enough and give him what he wants this summer. He was an excellent manager for us and I think Mourinho and Conte were poetic justice for the way we fired him just months after that Champion’s League loss.

As far as Gallagher is concerned, from everything I’ve heard Ange is still definitely interested. I think he wants him as a box-to-box 8 though so he would likely be replacing Sarr and/or Bentancur in our lineup (probably Sarr). It would still be weird for a player so obviously pro-Chelsea to end up at Tottenham. We’ll see what happens this summer; Levy can be a stickler with money but I think he’ll back Ange. We’ve been growing financially for a while and the new stadium is starting to pay dividends. Plus, we’ll likely sell Lo Celso, Hojberg, Dier and Gil which should generate at least 40 million or so. I know we’ll be in the market for a 6, 9 and left winger for sure. Probably a backup defender too. Jimenez (Feyenoord) and Ederson (Atalanta) are the two names I keep hearing for the 9 and the 6.

And yeah, I can’t complain about Ange at the moment. We’re higher up in the table than I thought we would be after losing Kane. Finishing 5th is a pretty solid season when it was supposed to be a transition year. If we’re still in this spot next year though, the pressure will start to mount. The fans are desperate for some kind of trophy. Cup, Europa, whatever at this point. I don’t think we’re too picky about what as long as it’s something.
I'm still don't think Poch is the answer but I also don't think there is an answer besides time at this point. The team is talented, but incredibly young and naive. They need some experience and some time. For everything I dislike tactically about Poch, the one thing I will say is he is a good man manager and at this point, may just be the right bridge while these players develop. I think he will get the start of next season with a hopefully healthy squad. He definitely didn't get dealt an easy hand in that department.

As much as I'd hate to see Gallagher in a Spurs shirt, tactically the move just makes a lot of sense for him so I could see it. His family members are all Chelsea fans, even since before he joined the academy when he was young, so he is as Chelsea as it gets, but he deserves starting time at this point in his career. If he can get that elsewhere then fair play to him. Can't be mad at that.

Reactions: Charlie Kelly
I'm still don't think Poch is the answer but I also don't think there is an answer besides time at this point. The team is talented, but incredibly young and naive. They need some experience and some time. For everything I dislike tactically about Poch, the one thing I will say is he is a good man manager and at this point, may just be the right bridge while these players develop. I think he will get the start of next season with a hopefully healthy squad. He definitely didn't get dealt an easy hand in that department.

As much as I'd hate to see Gallagher in a Spurs shirt, tactically the move just makes a lot of sense for him so I could see it. His family members are all Chelsea fans, even since before he joined the academy when he was young, so he is as Chelsea as it gets, but he deserves starting time at this point in his career. If he can get that elsewhere then fair play to him. Can't be mad at that.
Poch may not be the answer. He caught fire at Tottenham because everyone came of age at around the right time and he had leaders with experience in enough spots (Lloris, Alderweireld, Vertonghen). Maybe that happens with your group, maybe not. Time will tell. I think next year will be more indicative of what Poch can actually do. Your injury crisis this year was atrocious. With players getting healthy and another summer window, maybe next year it’s a totally different team.

As far as Gallagher is concerned, everything about the move makes sense except how unreservedly pro-Chelsea he is. I definitely think he would improve our midfield though. He’s an upgrade over what we currently have at the 8. I’ll still be surprised if it actually happens haha.

Nice output so far.
Goal differential in their last 3 home games: 13-0
Goal differential since Cucurella started inverting: 9-0

Hopefully this young team took some notes this season about how narrow the margins are for European spots. We've dropped 12 points against the bottom 5 teams in the league (out of 27 possible points so far). Get even half of those points back and we are sitting in a Europa spot with a 4 point cushion on Newcastle. Heck, 6 of those points were lost after giving up a late equalizer. Its a harsh lesson for them if they can't secure at least a Europa Conference spot this year but could pay dividends next year.

Reactions: YankeeVol
Dortmund book their spot in the CL final 👀

If Bayern win too it’ll be pretty wild that it’ll be an all Bundesliga final but the best team from that league won’t be in it.

I think no matter who wins between Bayern and Real Madrid I will be pulling for Dortmund.

Reactions: C/O
Dortmund book their spot in the CL final 👀

If Bayern win too it’ll be pretty wild that it’ll be an all Bundesliga final but the best team from that league won’t be in it.

I think no matter who wins between Bayern and Real Madrid I will be pulling for Dortmund.
Dortmund seemingly always has future superstars, but the season they don’t they are in the finals.

Respect for their academy.

Reactions: Nash_Vol97 and C/O
Should feel confident against Forest, but they've given Chelsea fits the last few matches.

Wild ending to this RM / Bayern game
Can’t help but feel like a lot of that is on Tuchel. Going to a back 3 at the 75 minute mark with a 1-0 lead felt like a recipe for disaster. Especially when Real had been threatening all game and were unlucky not to have already scored at that point.

You’re basically betting the house that they won’t find a goal in the next 20 or so minutes because if they do, Kane, Musiala and Sane are all on the bench for extra time/penalties. Perhaps karmically, they didn’t even make it to extra time with the park-the-bus strategy.

Still a very entertaining semi. I feel bad for Kane though. Still no trophy.

VN Store

Back