Premiere League & World Soccer Thread

Newcastle heading to first League Cup Final since 76. Happy for the players.

Don't lump Everton in with that excessive spending. We turned a profit this window. Sold Gordon, added no one while EVERY other team in the league strengthened, which has now almost guaranteed our relegation. I can only assume the board have already made their peace with it and are prepping for the austerity that's going to be necessary to attempt to avoid liquidation once the PL money tap runs dry. Would have been nice to at least go down swinging.

He’s a good dude. It’s weird doing a deal with a rival, haha, but this just worked out well for both sides. We weren’t going to renew his contract in 6 months and he’d leave for free in the summer, instead we get 12M + add ons, and y’all get a good locker room and experience guy, plus cover for your DMs.

He’s a really smart player which makes up somewhat for his lack of athletic ability. I’m not exactly sure where he fits in Artetas tactics though? He’s a timid player who likes to play safe and control the game. His movement is great, always feels like he knows where to be, but he’s not a progressive passing DM. Maybe Arteta feels like y’all need that kind of calming presence the 2nd half of the year. Solid squad player. Happy for him to stay in London which he apparently wanted.

Reactions: MAD
Don't lump Everton in with that excessive spending. We turned a profit this window. Sold Gordon, added no one while EVERY other team in the league strengthened, which has now almost guaranteed our relegation. I can only assume the board have already made their peace with it and are prepping for the austerity that's going to be necessary to attempt to avoid liquidation once the PL money tap runs dry. Would have been nice to at least go down swinging.
City also profited big this window

@Nash_Vol97 what do you think is more likely for Chelsea this year:
A top 4 finish in the PL or winning the Champion's League?

@Nash_Vol97 what do you think is more likely for Chelsea this year:
A top 4 finish in the PL or winning the Champion's League?

Good question, honestly. Both will be tough. Possible, but tough. With our current form neither will happen, but very happy with the January window so we will see how it impacts that. It’s one thing to spend money, but it’s another thing to get players that fill the holes in the squad. Boehly spent a lot of money but I feel like he pushed the right buttons. Biggest needs were to get another defender, get a creative and progressive CDM to put our attackers into space, and then he even brought in more options in the attack. Then with that, he also brought in quite a few talented young players too. I was really impressed with the youth he brought in.

Push comes to shove though, and I have to choose, I think top 4 is more likely. 10 points with 18 games left is a lot to make up in the PL, especially the way the current top 4 have been playing, but CL win is just so difficult even a strong team playing well all year. Who knows though. Both of our CL wins have been with the odds stacked against us and a coaching change during the year 🤷🏻‍♂️

Biggest surprise for me between summer window and winter window:

Nottingham Forest.

They are 13th in the PL but only 4 points clear of relegation zone. They splashed some cash to hopefully stay up but with the amount they spent they better hope they stay up.. this year and next.

1675268753957.png

Nottingham Forest.

They are 13th in the PL but only 4 points clear of relegation zone. They splashed some cash to hopefully stay up but with the amount they spent they better hope they stay up.. this year and next.

View attachment 534104

They basically brought in a new team, so cohesion has lacked.

The FFP loophole will be closed before the summer window opens, so I can’t fathom how they can keep spending, but man, Boehly is ambitious. I’ll give him that.

Nottingham Forest.

View attachment 534104

Me looking for Liverpool on this list with all of the needs in midfield and the backend:

looking-searching.gif

Me looking for Liverpool on this list with all of the needs in midfield and the backend:

looking-searching.gif

Was curious of that. Van Dyke still out, Konate now out for a few weeks to month, Luis still out.. lots of injuries plus same midfield issues. Felt like reinforcements were needed, even if just squad depth level. If they miss out on Bellingham in the summer that’ll be their top 2 midfield targets that are gone too.

Was curious of that. Van Dyke still out, Konate now out for a few weeks to month, Luis still out.. lots of injuries plus same midfield issues. Felt like reinforcements were needed, even if just squad depth level. If they miss out on Bellingham in the summer that’ll be their top 2 midfield targets that are gone too.
There was some ridiculous talk going around Liverpool of Everton and Liverpool supporters staging some sort of joint protests against their owners/boards. I’m not saying Liverpool fans don’t have some reason to be frustrated with lack of squad reinforcements this window, but come on now. They’ve slightly regressed to the mean after recently winning the CL and PL, and coming within shouting distance of winning a quadruple last season.

There was some ridiculous talk going around Liverpool of Everton and Liverpool supporters staging some sort of joint protests against their owners/boards. I’m not saying Liverpool fans don’t have some reason to be frustrated with lack of squad reinforcements this window, but come on now. They’ve slightly regressed to the mean after recently winning the CL and PL, and coming within shouting distance of winning a quadruple last season.

Yeah, that’s silly. If I’m a Liverpool fan I’m definitely not happy about not getting any signings when they are needed, but I’m not protesting. This ownership group has proven they will have a top club, this is just a rough year for them with some stuff out of their control. Of course, a big part of their success can be linked with Michael Edwards who has now left the club, so maybe we’re starting to see some of that.. but nah, they’ll be fine.

I would be so pissed if the Spurs had Liverpool's success. They sound more entitled than Bama fans.

Nottingham Forest.

View attachment 534104
I’ve always felt spend was pointless. Spend when compared to sales it what matters.

I’ve always felt spend was pointless. Spend when compared to sales it what matters.

Net spend is better absolutely. But the point I was making is a promotion to the PL from championship is worth something like 200M, but I’m pretty sure you don’t get that all at once. They are spending to stay up. That works if they stay up. If they don’t, and they don’t have that PL money anymore they put themselves in a hole the year they are back in the Championship. I applaud it, most clubs that come up are so scared of going back down that they are timid in the transfer market. So good on them. It was just a surprising spend that most didn’t see coming. They know their accounting books better than we do though.

Reactions: Outofmyvolcanmind

VN Store

Back