Preferred car wax.

Crew

...stay frosty.
Car wax.

65% blessing, 35% curse. Or is is the other way around?

What are your weapons of choice against the elements?

I'm a Meguiars snob myself. I'm considering going the clay bar route, but I've yet to do so.

I admire you for waxing your own, but I'd rather pay somebody else to do it
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: GVF
3M makes a line of products that I can usually only find in specialty stores. The cleaner wax does great to bring back the color and get all the gook out of the pores and what not and if you then put the performance shine on, your car will sparkle. It also hold up great against the elements.

when I was a kid, my older brother washed my Mom's '69 T-bird with powdered Tide laundry detergent. Mom wasn't happy when it dried.

A few of my favorites: Meguiars. Klasse. Collinite Insulator Wax. P21s.

You can say whatever you want about Meguiars, but it doesn't hold up as well as the 3M products. I will agree with Broyles that a good carnauba wax works great for cleaning, but for shine, protection and lasting power step up and pay a little more. I used to detail cars on the side for extra money everyone wanted to know the secret as to why they couldn't get their Wal-Mart/Autozone wax products to looks as good as I could get. Cleaner wax+performance shine wax from 3M will beat Meguiars, Mothers, Armor All, whatever every day of the week.

You can say whatever you want about Meguiars, but it doesn't hold up as well as the 3M products. I will agree with Broyles that a good carnauba wax works great for cleaning, but for shine, protection and lasting power step up and pay a little more. I used to detail cars on the side for extra money everyone wanted to know the secret as to why they couldn't get their Wal-Mart/Autozone wax products to looks as good as I could get. Cleaner wax+performance shine wax from 3M will beat Meguiars, Mothers, Armor All, whatever every day of the week.

I tend to agree vfb, those are pro shop products that are not always readily available. I used to sell supplies to body shops and auto dealers, and saw 3M products regularly. Knowing how to properly use a buffer is also a big part of a great finish.

When I was growing up, I would buy all my favorite waxes, and mix them up. Found it worked great. I once mixed Meguiars Show Car Glaze, Zymoil, Wizards detailing mist, and a couple of others I can't remember.

Back when I worked at my grandfathers gas station, we hand waxed cars with Simonize paste wax. Hard as could be, and took plenty of elbow grease, but the cars really looked nice. We started with Simonize polish/cleaner, and if I remember correctly we charged $15 (mid-1960's). It took two of us about two or three hours - wash, chamois, vacuum, clean interior, glass, dress tires and floorboards if had rubber ones. Almost always had white sidewalls to clean too. Ever now and then we got a tip.

VN Store

Back