Predicting our Final Class Ranking - 2016

Was Zach Stewart another that was rumored to be a possible Blueshirt?

I don't think so. He signed his LOI and was announced in the signing class. NCAA has a rule that guys can't be mentioned until they're officially part of the class. So, you got Young, Bruce, and Perry blue-shirting from '15, counting towards '16.

There is one thing that confuses me about this 7 blueshirt scenario. We know that J. Bruce, V. Perry, and J. Young are blueshirts. Those have all been widely reported, and Bruce and Perry both said publicly that they were blueshirting and were fine with it. My understanding is that the university was not able to publicize them as being members of the signing class because of that blue shirt status and everything that entails. If there were 4 more "secret" blueshirts, how/why was the university able to publicize those 4 as members of the signing class but not the other 3?

Yes, this is true! Recruits or prospects cannot be mentioned unless that have a signed loi. The exception is something about the school promising a recruit a financial aid agreement. Once that has been accepted, I believe the school can talk about the player. But if the player doesn't end up signing with the school, then the school can get penalized, as was the case with LSU this year. Pretty much a dumb rule!

I don't think so. He signed his LOI and was announced in the signing class. NCAA has a rule that guys can't be mentioned until they're officially part of the class. So, you got Young, Bruce, and Perry blue-shirting from '15, counting towards '16.

Just trying to figure out who the other 4 were

Was Zach Stewart another that was rumored to be a possible Blueshirt?

A blueshirt cannot have any of the following:

1. Official visit to the school.

2. In-home visit from the school’s coaching staff.

3. Have a letter of intent issued for the student athlete to submit.

As far as I know, Stewart signed his LOI so by the NCAA's definition he can't be a blueshirt candidate.

Reactions: 1 person
Some could have been signing aid agreements as walk ins. We somehow announced walking that day to.

They're weren't 4 more. Some of the kids were back-counted if that's what you mean. Only 3 blue-shirts in the class. And that's assuming Young will be placed on scholarship.

We signed 32 in 2014, how did we backcount anybody?

The "7 Blueshirts" was a number provided by Larry (LWSVOL), a poster who has been around for quite some time, and verified time and time again.

The "7 Blueshirts" was a number provided by Larry (LWSVOL), a poster who has been around for quite some time, and verified time and time again.

Because a lot of 2014 were back counted. The guys could not have signed LOIs if they weren't part of the current class - reg counted or back counted. I don't know LWSVOL, but he's misinformed on this one. The blueshirts didn't sign. They were promised scholarship once the semester started. That's what a blue shirt is.

I see 31 for 2014. That means 8 back counted to let us back count 2 for '15.

Our final ranking will purely be driven by our W/L record this year. Butch has gotten by on promises of early playing time and sunny days ahead. From here on out his success in recruiting can only come from success on the field.

Don't doubt Larry. He knows this stuff very well.

I was only doubting a little. I know he is plugged in and well respected. I was really commenting on the shear number as that seems really insane to me to blue shirt that many. But looking at the class they signed 30 and if they blue shirted 2 from the 14 class and then they would have to blue shirt 7 in 15 to even be able to get to 30. Butch be crazy y'all!

Because a lot of 2014 were back counted. The guys could not have signed LOIs if they weren't part of the current class - reg counted or back counted. I don't know LWSVOL, but he's misinformed on this one. The blueshirts didn't sign. They were promised scholarship once the semester started. That's what a blue shirt is.

IIRC, we could only back count 4-5 guys from the '14 class. Not 100% sure though...

Last edited:
IIRC, we could only back count 4-5 guys from the '14 class. Not 100% sure though...

It's all speculation from anyone not on the inside because coaches don't release that info. It could deter recruits away who may think there wasn't enough room in the signing class or it may cause recruits to wait til the last minute if they thought there was tons of room in the class. Plus other schools' coaches could use that information against them.

Kristy*,
You post very definitive statements, for the most part.

This is an anonymous message board, so I understand that people with information like to maintain a relative distance.

That being said, care to share, at least directionally, where your info is coming from?

Kristy*,
You post very definitive statements, for the most part.

This is an anonymous message board, so I understand that people with information like to maintain a relative distance.

That being said, care to share, at least directionally, where your info is coming from?

I'm just very passionate about Vols football. I read a lot and study up on as much current as I can.

It's all speculation from anyone not on the inside because coaches don't release that info. It could deter recruits away who may think there wasn't enough room in the signing class or it may cause recruits to wait til the last minute if they thought there was tons of room in the class. Plus other schools' coaches could use that information against them.

Back counting is kept a secret? Not really lol...it's pretty easy to figure out by looking at class size and EE's. Now blueshirts, etc. are kept quiet for the most part and most info out there is purely speculative until a class is locked in.

So I read the last three pages tonight to catch up.

And.... 😯

I'm glad I'm an engineer. College football recruiting sounds like voodoo.

VN Store

Back