Pre-Spring Rankings

Why are we always checking off Vandy?

The past ten years we are .500 with the last two bring blow outs.

Yeah, well...I'd say that's over. 20 years from now, that will be Vandy's rally cry. "Remember when we beat the Vols".

Of all the 2019 games, I'm most comfortable predicting a thumping of Vandy in Knoxville.

Well, assuming we have an OL.

Go Vols.

Yeah. These are the pre-Spring game rankings. Watch Tennessee to climb the post spring ranking ladder after watching the ever stellar practice QB JG light it up during the spring game and everything thinks he is going to be great.....

Hehe. Sounds like we're headed for another awesome 9-3 or 10-2 off-season.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Ok but they haven't why turn a positive to a negative in the same sentence??
Because it’s a negative that the only team in the East right now that doesn’t own a win streak against us is Kentucky. It’s a negative without me having to do anything.

Reactions: Titan05
Yes. But it might not be as far-fetched as it looks after reading those write ups. If UT can get improvement on the OL and at QB... then there are reasons that everyone else in the East could be vulnerable including UGA. I'm not sure UT is close enough to take advantage yet... but there are some opportunities considering what everyone else lost.
OL and DL and LB are the positions where, if they can take big leaps of improvement forward, the team can see big, instant improvement. It’s incredibly lazy and knee jerk to keep listing QB as a position that has to improve. Guarantano wasn’t great last year, but he was very good most of the year, one of the top 4 or so SEC QBs all year long......and Tennessee can win a lot of games with him under center if those other positions can stop playing at a Division 3 level and start looking like SEC units.

I will say though that I think there is only one "for sure" loss on the schedule which is better than its been for a very long time.
There are AT LEAST 3 certain, ironclad, automatic losses on the schedule this year....Alabama, Georgia and Florida. Vandy and Missouri aren’t too far behind.

Conversely, UTC and Georgia Southern are very likely the only surefire, automatic wins.

OL and DL and LB are the positions where, if they can take big leaps of improvement forward, the team can see big, instant improvement. It’s incredibly lazy and knee jerk to keep listing QB as a position that has to improve. Guarantano wasn’t great last year, but he was very good most of the year, one of the top 4 or so SEC QBs all year long......and Tennessee can win a lot of games with him under center if those other positions can stop playing at a Division 3 level and start looking like SEC units.
Nope. QB IS a position that must improve along with the OL. You can quote statistics all day long except for the one that matters... points per game. UT has never been good scoring points behind JG. His poor reads and slow decisions factor heavily into the OL's performance in pass pro. You are smarter than these other guys. You know that. You've seen UT QB's who could read D's and get the ball out quickly to protect bad OL's. JG has not shown that ability... and it is necessary that he develop it.

Lots of folks are overlooking UGA's defensive problems and they've got 'em and not likely to be a whole lot better in 2019 than they were in 2018.

UGASports.com - 2018 Defensive Stats Breakdown and Review

12th in sacks in the SEC
5th in the SEC in points and TDs allowed (18 rushing TDs allowed, just sayin' in 2017 they had 8)
7th in the SEC in rushing yds per attempt at 4.0

Their passing D is much better than their rushing D and it will be their Achilles heel in several games in 2019. They're a solid team but world beaters they are not by a long shot, quit wringing your hands and clacking your knees over those guys, they are beatable, very.

There are AT LEAST 3 certain, ironclad, automatic losses on the schedule this year....Alabama, Georgia and Florida. Vandy and Missouri aren’t too far behind.

Conversely, UTC and Georgia Southern are very likely the only surefire, automatic wins.

I dont think Florida is a "for sure" loss. I think its a likely loss. Same with Georgia. But there is a chance for Tennessee to play tough enough to win them.

Tennessee doesnt have the horses to play tough enough to beat Bama under any situation.

Nope. QB IS a position that must improve along with the OL. You can quote statistics all day long except for the one that matters... points per game. UT has never been good scoring points behind JG. His poor reads and slow decisions factor heavily into the OL's performance in pass pro. You are smarter than these other guys. You know that. You've seen UT QB's who could read D's and get the ball out quickly to protect bad OL's. JG has not shown that ability... and it is necessary that he develop it.
I see you haven't stopped your bad analysis.

Name one qb who has protected a bad oline?

Brady? Nope. Bad when the line blocks poorly.

Tua? Bad to average when the line is playing bad.

Name one.

JG had done all you are talking about. Yea what you say is true about his freshman year. Last year he was much better and the sacks were due to missed assignments.

He got the ball out in 2.5 compared to Chryst at 2.2 while being much more accurate while throwing deeper passes.

Once again name literally one qb who had a terrible line that covered for it.

I can name a ton of All Americans and Am Pros thst looked bad when the line was bad.

Brady, Russ Wilson, Eli, Tua, Peyton.

Literally every good qb who has faced line problems has looked bad when it happened.

I guess Brady can't read NFL D and Tua can't read a college D.

And PPG? Are you serious? 🤣

Because it’s a negative that the only team in the East right now that doesn’t own a win streak against us is Kentucky. It’s a negative without me having to do anything.
Oh no!!! go cry a river it's a game dude. It'll all be alright just stay the course and support our staff and we'll get there too

I see you haven't stopped your bad analysis.

Name one qb who has protected a bad oline?
Drew Lock comes to mind immediately. He got the ball out quick protecting a not very athletic OL. They are more built for run blocking with size.

Brady? Nope. Bad when the line blocks poorly.
LOL@U. Are you really trying to suggest that Brady doesn't read D's and get the ball out quicker than JG? ALL successful NFL QB's do that exceptionally well. Manning not only knew who he was likely to throw to pre-snap... he said he had a really good idea about the precise ball placement.

Tua? Bad to average when the line is playing bad.
Tua has advantages that JG does not have... and will not have. Even then... he's shown more ability to read pressure and get the ball out quickly than JG.

I know your idol worship won't let you see it... but this is a significant weakness in JG. I hope he gets better. But you won't get me to pretend it isn't there.

He got the ball out in 2.5 compared to Chryst at 2.2 while being much more accurate while throwing deeper passes.
Reference please. And who suggested that Chryst in limited PT was the standard?

Once again name literally one qb who had a terrible line that covered for it.
Already did. Plus Dobbs did it with his legs. Vandy's QB didn't have a great OL and still figured it out. There were times when UGA had a couple of Fr starting on their OL and had to get the ball out quickly.

HOPEFULLY, Chaney can help slow the game down for JG. If not... they need to cut their losses.

Literally every good qb who has faced line problems has looked bad when it happened.
Literally you are 100% wrong... even before we deal with your bias to lay 100% of the blame on everyone except JG.

And PPG? Are you serious? 🤣
Yep... because that's what wins games and JG's biggest failure due to him being behind on reads and decision making. UT has to sustain drives. To sustain drives... your QB has to throw for 11 yards on 3rd and 10... not 5.

Drew Lock comes to mind immediately. He got the ball out quick protecting a not very athletic OL. They are more built for run blocking with size.

LOL@U. Are you really trying to suggest that Brady doesn't read D's and get the ball out quicker than JG? ALL successful NFL QB's do that exceptionally well. Manning not only knew who he was likely to throw to pre-snap... he said he had a really good idea about the precise ball placement.

Tua has advantages that JG does not have... and will not have. Even then... he's shown more ability to read pressure and get the ball out quickly than JG.

I know your idol worship won't let you see it... but this is a significant weakness in JG. I hope he gets better. But you won't get me to pretend it isn't there.

Reference please. And who suggested that Chryst in limited PT was the standard?

Already did. Plus Dobbs did it with his legs. Vandy's QB didn't have a great OL and still figured it out. There were times when UGA had a couple of Fr starting on their OL and had to get the ball out quickly.

HOPEFULLY, Chaney can help slow the game down for JG. If not... they need to cut their losses.

Literally you are 100% wrong... even before we deal with your bias to lay 100% of the blame on everyone except JG.

Yep... because that's what wins games and JG's biggest failure due to him being behind on reads and decision making. UT has to sustain drives. To sustain drives... your QB has to throw for 11 yards on 3rd and 10... not 5.
You did not give one legit example of someone with a BAD line who made it better.

Of course TB does thoses things better than 99.9% of qbs ever. But Brady' struggles vs pressure are well documented. When the line or backs miss blocks, no matter how good the qb, it causes problems.

Bill Belichick won’t pin Patriots’ struggles vs. blitz on Tom Brady

PFF: Brady Still Struggles When Pressured

Pressure is impacting Tom Brady more than it has in a while

The same with Tua.
Alabama must show it can protect Tua Tagovailoa better after struggles vs. Mississippi State

Most of us saw what happened in the NC game when pressured.

DxJ2bVzWwAAZ1NH.jpg:large

And what happens when he played good teams who actually put pressure on him.

There is a reason for all the cliches about line play. It starts up front. It doesn't matter how well you read the defense or set the blocking if they fail to block.

Lets not ignore the start of the article you agree with either.

"QB Jarrett Guarantano needs to become something special after a promising year."

Most agree he had a promising year except for a few.

He needs to take the next step this year and become dynamic. Hopefully Chaney and Tee get him there. The line and wrs have to step up also.

What stood out in the article? Biggest Issue To Fix: Total Offense

Given that, the author must be crediting the Chaney hire, the Tee hire, and the personnel to project UT at 4th in the east for 2019.

I dont think Florida is a "for sure" loss. I think its a likely loss. Same with Georgia. But there is a chance for Tennessee to play tough enough to win them.

Tennessee doesnt have the horses to play tough enough to beat Bama under any situation.
So Georgia has beat bama 118 minutes out of 120 but we have no chance with bama but can possibly beat Georgia? Georgia could have Butch coaching and still win on talent. They were the youngest team in the conference last year. They will be better this year. Florida is a loss until proven otherwise. They're recruiting well also

You did not give one legit example of someone with a BAD line who made it better.
Yeah. I did. You can throw Bray in there too after taking over for Simms.

Of course TB does thoses things better than 99.9% of qbs ever. But Brady' struggles vs pressure are well documented. When the line or backs miss blocks, no matter how good the qb, it causes problems.

Bill Belichick won’t pin Patriots’ struggles vs. blitz on Tom Brady
You brought up Brady, not me. If you seriously think Brady doesn't handle blitzes, pressure, missed blocks, pre-reads, timing, anticipattion, et al better than JG... you need some serious help.

When JG "struggles" against pressure and lands UT in the SEC CG while ranking 4th in scoring O... let's talk.

The same with Tua.
Straw man much? I already said Tua makes a bad comparison.

He needs to take the next step this year and become dynamic. Hopefully Chaney and Tee get him there. The line and wrs have to step up also.
You can swallow all the BS you can stomach... and JG still has some critical weaknesses that MUST improve. Those weaknesses DO make OL's look worse than they are just like he did after taking over for Dormady.

He needs to "take the next step" by simply learning to do good, consistent pre-reads then make quick, good decisions. If the OL improves and he does not... UT will still struggle on O and he'll still get hit and sacked a lot.

PS- Chaney has a history with QB's. He requires the QB to be a good decision maker. That was Fromm's key and maybe only advantage over Fields. If JG doesn't respond... he won't be the starter even if they take a step back in talent.

PSS- He's not afraid to develop and start a Fr if he has to.

Tennessee will beat Vandy, KY, MSU, Missouri, USC..........toss up is Florida and UGA and winning our out of conference games I could see 8-10 wins.........jmo
7-5 is a safe bet for next year. 8 wins would be huge and possibly 9 would be a grand slam!! We don’t know what could come of next year but there WILL be vast improvements in many areas!!! GBO!!!!

Lol. We literally lose to Florida every year and still about 95% of Tennessee fans think, even predict Tennessee will beat Florida, year after year after year. It’s truly bizarre. Florida is every bit the 100% certain loss as Alabama is, book it.

7-5 is a safe bet for next year. 8 wins would be huge and possibly 9 would be a grand slam!! We don’t know what could come of next year but there WILL be vast improvements in many areas!!! GBO!!!!
5-7 or 6-6 is the much safer bet. We’ll have to have some good fortune to get to 7 wins.

PS- Chaney has a history with QB's. He requires the QB to be a good decision maker. That was Fromm's key and maybe only advantage over Fields.
Fromm can drop some dimes though, especially throwing to the sideline. Everybody talks about Fields but he really hasn't done anything. The night we played Kentucky I was so happy we won I didn't instantly turn off the TV after the Vols played, I remember Georgia putting Fields in on like the 2 against Auburn and they went backward with Fields' dumb decision-making. Fields is being graded on potential right now, of which he has plenty, but it's unrealized. It'll be interesting to see what he does at Ohio State.

VN Store

Back