Pre-Spring Rankings

It's still embarrassing to be listed behind Mizzuo AND Florida . . . not to mention Georgia . . . I do think we will be better than last year as far as overall record, making a bowl will be a good step forward.

GBO

wow. 5th in the East. given the relative strength of west and east I guess that means they peg us to be the 11th best team in the SEC. They must not be buying what Pruitt is selling with our 14th ranked recruiting class or something. I know the OL is abysmal beyond measure, but if we are "on the way back" they are not currently believing it.

Reactions: salsahound
If we win all but Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and either USCe or Mizzou...I’ll call it progress and give them another year.

It's still embarrassing to be listed behind Mizzuo AND Florida . . . not to mention Georgia . . . I do think we will be better than last year as far as overall record, making a bowl will be a good step forward.

GBO

I don't believe 2019 will mirror 2018 in the least bit, CJP will have this team at its best come September, on both sides of the line. I will predict 2nd or 3rd in SEC East.

I don't believe 2019 will mirror 2018 in the least bit, CJP will have this team at its best come September, on both sides of the line. I will predict 2nd or 3rd in SEC East.

No doubt he will have them at their best. The big question is what exactly their best is in comparison to the best of other SEC teams. Especially playing young players on the OL which is a huge gamble.

wow. 5th in the East. given the relative strength of west and east I guess that means they peg us to be the 11th best team in the SEC. They must not be buying what Pruitt is selling with our 14th ranked recruiting class or something. I know the OL is abysmal beyond measure, but if we are "on the way back" they are not currently believing it.

Nah, they just dont want to get burned like they have in the past when announcing that TN was "back". Every coach and commentator has said that CJP is doing all the right moves to build us back to a consistently winning program but nobody is going to declare we are THERE until it shows on game day. This year, if we put up a solid 7-8 wins and avoid blowouts I think most people will continue to think Pruitt has us on the right track to be a serious competitor (in the east at least) in 2020. Also, I think, the perception is that a Pruitt team is going to get better and better with time, as he trains guys up and gets better himself at the HC thing, whereas someone like Butch couldnt sustain the momentum from early hype because he lacked the fundamentals. Time will have to prove that, however.

This sounds like a record prediction from 2006 given by a fan that hasn't witnessed the last decade of UT football.
Yes. But it might not be as far-fetched as it looks after reading those write ups. If UT can get improvement on the OL and at QB... then there are reasons that everyone else in the East could be vulnerable including UGA. I'm not sure UT is close enough to take advantage yet... but there are some opportunities considering what everyone else lost.

Siap. Good article on what everybody lost and is bringing back. SEC 2019 Pre-Spring Rankings, Depth Chart Projections, Biggest Issues

Look at the schedule and where the open dates fall. It's very possible to be 3-1 going into the first open date (Ga. St., BYU, UTC, and @Fl.). 4-2, 3-3 over the next 6 games is certainly doable (Ga., Miss. St., @ Bama, SC, UAB, and @Ky.). We could be 7-3, 6-4 going into the last 2 games (at Missouri, Vandy) which are both very winnable this season. Looking at 9-3, 8-4......7-5 at worst.

Look at the schedule and where the open dates fall. It's very possible to be 3-1 going into the first open date (Ga. St., BYU, UTC, and @Fl.). 4-2, 3-3 over the next 6 games is certainly doable (Ga., Miss. St., @ Bama, SC, UAB, and @Ky.). We could be 7-3, 6-4 going into the last 2 games (at Missouri, Vandy) which are both very winnable this season. Looking at 9-3, 8-4......7-5 at worst.

I would say the most optimistic I'm willing to get is going 3-1 through the first 4, 2-2 through the next 4 and 2-2 through the final 4. I think given our schedule strength, 7 is a solidly possible ceiling but doesnt allow for the normal Tennessee disaster scenarios that typically pop up.

With all of that said, I hope that we have a coach that can consistently hit my ceiling because honestly with this schedule 7 wins SHOULD be easy to attain but it wont be for this team. with out OL in historically bad shape, Tennessee's season is built upon a house of cards that could easily collapse disastrously at any moment.

Reactions: Maxwell and Jnunn
I will say though that I think there is only one "for sure" loss on the schedule which is better than its been for a very long time.

Thanks OP. But "pre-Spring" rankings? LOL.

Now we have pre-season All-Americans / All-SEC as well as mid-season AA / ASEC lists. This entertainment biz is getting a little bit out of hand.

Reactions: Titan05 and tbh
My early prediction: they will need to win either the Vandy or the KY game to become bowl eligible. Beware KY this year. Would this represent progress? Who cares? For your health!

VN Store

Back