Practice dates

Vfl2407

Has the July/ August practice schedule been announced?
Will there be media access?
Fingers daily updates?

Reactions: Volanta
Has the July/ August practice schedule been announced?
Will there be media access?
Fingers daily updates?

It has not been announced, but it was more or less confirmed today that coaches and teams will be allowed to start meeting again July 13th.

My guess is first day of practice will be July 20th or 21st, somewhere around there.

What if it does? It hardly hospitalizes or kills anyone in the typical college football player demographic. Move along, nothing to see here but advil, kleenex, and isolation for 14 days.

This is a remarkably callous attitude. You are outright saying that you don't care if the players get sick as long as you get your football games. Get some perspective.

I don’t read Remy’s comment as callous. It’s one persons opinion not to continue to live in fear - and many agree.

Early on with 19 there was no data to guide policy so those in ivory towers used models in an attempt to guide. Now that we have actual case data (even though tainted by policy to code all deaths with a hint of 19 as 19), we have a better understanding and can come out and work/play in confidence.

What scares me more than 19 is the sensorship of those with opposing views, even when backed by science/ data.

I don’t read Remy’s comment as callous. It’s one persons opinion not to continue to live in fear - and many agree.

Early on with 19 there was no data to guide policy so those in ivory towers used models in an attempt to guide. Now that we have actual case data (even though tainted by policy to code all deaths with a hint of 19 as 19), we have a better understanding and can come out and work/play in confidence.

What scares me more than 19 is the sensorship of those with opposing views, even when backed by science/ data.

The word-burners are more dangerous than anyone with Chinese virus.

Reactions: jpope9 and jlawso21
This is a remarkably callous attitude. You are outright saying that you don't care if the players get sick as long as you get your football games. Get some perspective.
For the vast majority of average people, this virus is completely asymptomatic or the results are akin to a strong case of the flu at worst. Ask the hundreds if not thousands of East Tennessee school students who missed almost all of November and December with "flu-like" symptoms that was not the flu. With persons of heightened physical conditioning I would say they would be asymptomatic for the most part. If you have heard the reports from other schools, every single positive test for COVID-19 (SAHRS-COVID-2) has been in a completely asymptomatic athlete. Actual infection numbers and recovery numbers are vastly underreported and mortality vastly overreported. As another poster here commented, if they could prove there was the potential that a person was exposed to the virus prior to death, there death is COVID "related".

Do the research, look at the data (or in reality what is missing) and draw your own conclusion. The electronic device in your hand is not the bastion of all knowledge. Don't believe what shows up on websites without validation.

Not just aimed at you, but all those with your "perspective" who need to get some real knowledge and not just blindly believe what the media wants them to.

The NCAA just approved the practice schedules: NCAA committee recommends six-week calendar to start 2020 college football season on time

2020 preseason college football calendar
DATES PERIOD DETAILS
June 1-25
Voluntary workouts
Voluntary and virtual non-physical activities
July 13 onward
Team workouts
Weight training, conditioning, film review
July 24 onward
Walkthroughs, team meetings
20 hours per week up from 8 hours
Aug. 7 onward
Practice
Preseason practice period

As far as COVID goes I hate to tell you guys but it is finally here and it is here in a big way. For example up until this week I had yet to have a single positive patient. Not a single one. Yesterday I had 12. Wednesday between my partners, myself and urgent care we had 32. We are seeing the results of everyone losing their minds during Memorial day weekend. The only positive I can say is we are doing a better job treating it, Remdesivir seems to work pretty well, so I think you are going to see mortality rates drop but just go ahead and brace yourself for the numbers you are about to see in Knox county. They are about to skyrocket.

The NCAA just approved the practice schedules: NCAA committee recommends six-week calendar to start 2020 college football season on time

DATES PERIOD DETAILS
June 1-25
Voluntary workouts
July 13 onward
Team workouts
July 24 onward
Aug. 7 onward
Practice
\

Thanks for the detailed info...

As far as COVID goes I hate to tell you guys but it is finally here and it is here in a big way. For example up until this week I had yet to have a single positive patient. Not a single one. Yesterday I had 12. Wednesday between my partners, myself and urgent care we had 32. We are seeing the results of everyone losing their minds during Memorial day weekend. The only positive I can say is we are doing a better job treating it, Remdesivir seems to work pretty well, so I think you are going to see mortality rates drop but just go ahead and brace yourself for the numbers you are about to see in Knox county. They are about to skyrocket.

Oh and thanks for the heads-up that some folks might catch a little late spring/summer flu...then get better...

Inform yourself. The information is out there from legit sources but you have to look for it. Those reporting the information in media are pushing a narrative of control. They want you to behave "safely"... for "your own good". They do not trust you to take the information and make good decisions for yourself. For instance, they have a lot of data telling them specifically which health issues increase someone's chances of having a severe reaction to Covid-19... but have not released it or made it a central theme to the public. Why? Would that not be FAR more effective than wearing a stupid mask in Walmart?

The reason some people may be behaving recklessly is that they're tired of being just "told". They're recognizing that the reality in their world doesn't match the scary narrative they've heard for the last 3 months. If our "officials" had educated us and honestly shared the information available... there is a GREAT chance that most people would have protected the vulnerable.

I don't know if TN has something similar but here is Missouri's "dash board". The number of infections is still very low and somewhat evenly spread over age groups. Severity as measured by death and hospitalization... is not. If you are under 20 in MO you have roughly the same chance of dying from Covid-19 as you do a lightning strike. If I am not mistaken pretty much all of the fatalities under 60 were in people with other very serious health issues. Over 50% of MO's fatalities have been over 80. About 91% have been over 60. This is consistent with other states I've seen and numbers from places like Spain. The age of the average fatality in Italy is just over 80.

Missouri does not yet have an effective program for antibody testing. Among those tested for Covid, only about 4% were positive... among people who were concerned enough to get tested. It is very likely that antibody testing will show the actual number of MO cases to be 10-20 times higher than the current "confirmed" number.

Story Map Series

DATES PERIOD DETAILS
June 1-25
Voluntary workouts
July 13 onward
Team workouts
July 24 onward
Aug. 7 onward
Practice

What was the median age of the people that came into the hospital?

Reactions: HalfullVol
Fortunately all were pretty young. 20-50 age group. I think older, at risk, patients are still doing a pretty good job staying home. Some examples were a family who went to a funeral out of state and all came back positive. A large construction crew mainly Hispanic that all tested positive. Some college kids who lived in the same house and were pretty much all positive. Honestly, none of them were really that sick. Quite a few had no symptoms at all. I only pointed it out because it just such a dramatic jump. It is like we went from 0 to 100 mph over night.

Reactions: Dumbledorange
Inform yourself. The information is out there from legit sources but you have to look for it. Those reporting the information in media are pushing a narrative of control. They want you to behave "safely"... for "your own good". They do not trust you to take the information and make good decisions for yourself. For instance, they have a lot of data telling them specifically which health issues increase someone's chances of having a severe reaction to Covid-19... but have not released it or made it a central theme to the public. Why? Would that not be FAR more effective than wearing a stupid mask in Walmart?

The reason some people may be behaving recklessly is that they're tired of being just "told". They're recognizing that the reality in their world doesn't match the scary narrative they've heard for the last 3 months. If our "officials" had educated us and honestly shared the information available... there is a GREAT chance that most people would have protected the vulnerable.

I don't know if TN has something similar but here is Missouri's "dash board". The number of infections is still very low and somewhat evenly spread over age groups. Severity as measured by death and hospitalization... is not. If you are under 20 in MO you have roughly the same chance of dying from Covid-19 as you do a lightning strike. If I am not mistaken pretty much all of the fatalities under 60 were in people with other very serious health issues. Over 50% of MO's fatalities have been over 80. About 91% have been over 60. This is consistent with other states I've seen and numbers from places like Spain. The age of the average fatality in Italy is just over 80.

Missouri does not yet have an effective program for antibody testing. Among those tested for Covid, only about 4% were positive... among people who were concerned enough to get tested. It is very likely that antibody testing will show the actual number of MO cases to be 10-20 times higher than the current "confirmed" number.

Story Map Series

The COVID-19 data for TN is listed on their website: Data Dashboard

There is some reporting fatigue here, I think, along with some other stories that have taken precedence. But the data is available for all to see. Exposure is very high right now in TN due to re-opening and it is only going to get worse due to summer activities, protests, and people that think it's no big deal (ie mask culture wars). For Rutherford county (where I live), we have more confirmed COVID cases right now than there have been total up to this point. Most large population counties in TN are similar, although not quite as bad as here.

It's true that most healthy people don't die. My sister is an ICU nurse... trust me, healthy people have also died. Also, death is not the only useful data point. If you recover after hospitalization, you may have tens of thousands of dollars in expenses. Even flu-like symptoms are no fun.

The numbers show that you are not at all likely to die unless you are over 40 or are obese (the #2 factor). Of course, if you're obese, you probably have at least one other condition that puts you at higher risk as well. We've known that young, healthy people aren't at much risk for many months, though. So why did we stop our economy? Simple: to keep our hospitals from not having enough beds for all of the patients. The ease that this thing has spread required extraordinary steps to keep the death rate under 3%. We will likely be doing another shutdown at some point when hospitals get near their peak occupancy again.

Are there politics being played here? If you're a politician, all you do is politics, so yes, of course there are. Democrats want to say that Republicans are choosing the economy over lives and Republicans want to keep stock numbers high for the election cycle. None of that is relevant to what the data shows and what the consequences are if we decide not to shutdown when we should.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonnon111 and 08Vol

There is some reporting fatigue here, I think, along with some other stories that have taken precedence. But the data is available for all to see. Exposure is very high right now in TN due to re-opening and it is only going to get worse due to summer activities, protests, and people that think it's no big deal (ie mask culture wars). For Rutherford county (where I live), we have more confirmed COVID cases right now than there have been total up to this point. Most large population counties in TN are similar, although not quite as bad as here.

It's true that most healthy people don't die. My sister is an ICU nurse... trust me, healthy people have also died. Also, death is not the only useful data point. If you recover after hospitalization, you may have tens of thousands of dollars in expenses. Even flu-like symptoms are no fun.

The numbers show that you are not at all likely to die unless you are over 40 or are obese (the #2 factor). Of course, if you're obese, you probably have at least one other condition that puts you at higher risk as well. We've known that young, healthy people aren't at much risk for many months, though. So why did we stop our economy? Simple: to keep our hospitals from not having enough beds for all of the patients. The ease that this thing has spread required extraordinary steps to keep the death rate under 3%. We will likely be doing another shutdown at some point when hospitals get near their peak occupancy again.

Are there politics being played here? If you're a politician, all you do is politics, so yes, of course there are. Democrats want to say that Republicans are choosing the economy over lives and Republicans want to keep stock numbers high for the election cycle. None of that is relevant to what the data shows and what the consequences are if we decide not to shutdown when we should.
Has anyone seen anything on how it affects football lineman?

Reactions: FLVOL_79

Two things.

One, the scare about hospital beds was based on models that have been completely WRONG. Not even ballpark close. Even NYC never ran out of beds.... I want to say they reached around 80% of capacity at their peak.

The death rate has NEVER been 3% or even close to it. Birx's direction to count pretty much everything as a Covid-19 death inflated the numerator greatly. The denominator has always been underestimated and generally includes only the "confirmed cases". Even on the Diamond Princess full of older people... over 60% of those infected were asymptomatic. The recently reported Infection Fatality Rate based on CDC's numbers was .26%... with an assumption of ONLY 35% asymptomatic or unreported cases. It is very likely far greater meaning the IFR is even lower.

Oh... that death number includes those counting using this logic just as Dr Birx instructed:

T
Deaths among people without other comorbidities are very rare. CDC says that only 7% of "Covid deaths" list Covid alone as cause.

Two years ago over 950,000 people were hospitalized for the flu. Covid-19 will not come close to that... probably not even half... maybe not even a third. The number currently sits at 295K.

When comparing against the flu, you also have to realize that CDC acknowledges that flu deaths are greatly undercounted.

For the vast majority of average people, this virus is completely asymptomatic or the results are akin to a strong case of the flu at worst. Ask the hundreds if not thousands of East Tennessee school students who missed almost all of November and December with "flu-like" symptoms that was not the flu. With persons of heightened physical conditioning I would say they would be asymptomatic for the most part. If you have heard the reports from other schools, every single positive test for COVID-19 (SAHRS-COVID-2) has been in a completely asymptomatic athlete. Actual infection numbers and recovery numbers are vastly underreported and mortality vastly overreported. As another poster here commented, if they could prove there was the potential that a person was exposed to the virus prior to death, there death is COVID "related".

Do the research, look at the data (or in reality what is missing) and draw your own conclusion. The electronic device in your hand is not the bastion of all knowledge. Don't believe what shows up on websites without validation.

Not just aimed at you, but all those with your "perspective" who need to get some real knowledge and not just blindly believe what the media wants them to.
Everyone has a right to their opinion, 100,000+ would disagree with yours

Two things.

One, the scare about hospital beds was based on models that have been completely WRONG. Not even ballpark close. Even NYC never ran out of beds.... I want to say they reached around 80% of capacity at their peak.

The death rate has NEVER been 3% or even close to it. Birx's direction to count pretty much everything as a Covid-19 death inflated the numerator greatly. The denominator has always been underestimated and generally includes only the "confirmed cases". Even on the Diamond Princess full of older people... over 60% of those infected were asymptomatic. The recently reported Infection Fatality Rate based on CDC's numbers was .26%... with an assumption of ONLY 35% asymptomatic or unreported cases. It is very likely far greater meaning the IFR is even lower.

Oh... that death number includes those counting using this logic just as Dr Birx instructed:

Don't know where your info comes from, but its wrong

Everyone has a right to their opinion, 100,000+ would disagree with yours
And yet... the facts say he's right.

The numbers are out there if you don't accept "just so" proclamations from the media.

If we counted flu deaths the way we're counting Covid deaths... there would be over 100K every year in spite of vaccines and treatments. CDC openly acknowledges that flu deaths are undercounted. Many old people whose death is brought on by the flu are either listed according to their primary cause or are simply listed as "natural causes". Not incidentally... over 50% of Covid-19 fatalities in the US are over 80.

NOTHING about this virus justifies the hysterical response we've seen.

Don't know where your info comes from, but its wrong
The IFR comes from the CDC website coupled with numerous studies now showing that the actual number of past/current infections in the US are more than 10 times the number of "confirmed" cases.

I posted proof for the overcounting. Do you need the video of Dr Birx as well? How about the testimonies of doctors who have largely been ignored by the narrative driven media when they spoke out after being pressured to assign Covid as a cause of death when it was not?

If you are truly interested in facts and aren't intent on simply handwaving again... then I'll find the article that gave the stats on NYC during the outbreak. Much has been made about trailers for dead bodies but that was largely because they did not have procedures for safe handling of corpses. They were unsure if morgue and funeral home people would be in danger. The Navy ship and the overflow facilities that were constructed went virtually unused. The MSM has very quickly dropped NYC from the conversation as the numbers really began to come out. It was particularly inconvenient when reports showed the majority of new cases were people who had obeyed shelter in place orders.

Deaths among people without other comorbidities are very rare. CDC says that only 7% of "Covid deaths" list Covid alone as cause.

Two years ago over 950,000 people were hospitalized for the flu. Covid-19 will not come close to that... probably not even half... maybe not even a third. The number currently sits at 295K.

When comparing against the flu, you also have to realize that CDC acknowledges that flu deaths are greatly undercounted.

Yes, there has been a lot of factors that distort the data. There was an incentive created in one of the bills Congress passed to inflate numbers. Several states have been caught under-reporting data on purpose. Our testing has improved over time. An antibody test came out, but apparently it has some issues also. Let's not just pick one of them out...

Bottom line: any comparisons that make it seem like it's no worse than the flu are intentionally wrong and designed to control you. Even if we find out that a huge number of people are asymptomatic, there is almost no chance that the death rate is lower than the flu. In fact, it would be a huge surprise if it wasn't at least one order of magnitude higher. We already know it spreads much more easily than the flu, and if we find out that a huge number of people are asymptomatic, that would mean that it spreads even more easily than we thought.

Reactions: swampfoxfan

VN Store

Back