Power 5 talking about no fall football

Article from ESPN. Sources: Power 5 talking about no fall football

“Commissioners of the Power 5 conferences held an emergency meeting on Sunday, as there is growing concern among college athletics officials that the upcoming football season and other fall sports can't be played because of the coronavirus pandemic, sources told ESPN.

Several sources have indicated to ESPN that Big Ten presidents, following a meeting on Saturday, are ready to pull the plug on its fall sports season, and they wanted to gauge if commissioners and university presidents and chancellors from the other Power 5 conferences -- the ACC, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC -- will fall in line with them.

Sources told ESPN that a vast majority of Big Ten presidents have indicated that they would vote to postpone football season, hopefully to the spring. A Big Ten official confirmed to ESPN that no official vote took place during Saturday's meeting.

“It doesn't look good," one Power 5 athletic director said.

The Mid-American Conference on Saturday became the first FBS league to postpone the fall sports season, including football.

Presidents and chancellors of the Pac-12 universities are scheduled to meet on Tuesday.

Several sources have told ESPN over the last 48 hours that the postponement or cancellation of the football season seems inevitable. Many of those sources believed that it ultimately will take a Power 5 conference to move things in that direction, and that either the Big Ten or Pac-12 would probably be the first league to do it.

"Nobody wanted to be the first to do it," a Power 5 coach told ESPN, "and now nobody will want to be the last."

A Power 5 administrator added: "It feels like no one wants to, but it's reaching the point where someone is going to have to."

The ACC, Big 12 and SEC have wanted to wait to see what happened after thousands of students returned to their campuses this month, but they might be forced to act if the Big Ten and/or Pac-12 take action this week, the sources said.”

I personally don't give a damn what the Big 10 (I use the term loosely) or the Pac 12 or any other conference does. This is the SEC and we have decided to play an in-conference schedule. It will have no effect on any other conference. If after the start it becomes necessary to stop, then so be it. But until then,,, PLAY SPORTS!!!

Reactions: cgrish and Doberman
I know how you feel.

How about this to add onto that.

I went to opry mills out in Nashville yesterday where there were THOUSANDS of freakin people.

I'm like "we can do this but not football?"

That’s the big issue, right? We’re told only certain things can’t happen. Things that are good. But God help you if you want to sing at church.

It almost like these guys don’t hear themselves talk. Fauci, who looks like an evil scientist anyway, said protesting was essential and should be allowed. But a big NO on church.

WTF, my guy?!

So if the B1G cancels does that mean that the P12 will finally get a team in the CFP or do we just go with 3 SEC teams and other best team (Clemson/OK)?

Why worry about CFP at this point it makes no difference with a limit of teams from across the country. Let just have SEC football and a conference champion. There was a time when this was about all you had anyway.

Sad thing is we would of played college football if people in this country acted with common sense for a couple more months longer.

When in the recent or any past have we the people ever "acted with common sense"?

What portion of the average D1 college budget comes from their bread winning sports (basketball, football)? I remember it being a significant chunk at UT that we feed back into the university every season.

If enrollment drops and they don't have revenue from sports, how do most stay in business?

This virus hit China in January our country didn't react until April. They knew it but didn't do anything about it until it was too late

I was working from home by March 14 and by the 16th, Johnson City Schools were closed. Not sure what your agenda is.

Reactions: Doberman
I know how you feel.

How about this to add onto that.

I went to opry mills out in Nashville yesterday where there were THOUSANDS of freakin people.

I'm like "we can do this but not football?"

I was at Cherokee yesterday and it was pretty packed. Also somehow you can have a poker room but not a Buffet.

Ask yourself why they had an emergency meeting? They’ve been planning around Covid for months it’s not like they’re suddenly surprised by new information. This is less about Covid and more about players organizing for payment.
It is also the school's not wanting to pay for the continuous testing and other protocols needed. Let the SEC expand market share again and recruit their players away.

Ask yourself why they had an emergency meeting? They’ve been planning around Covid for months it’s not like they’re suddenly surprised by new information. This is less about Covid and more about players organizing for payment.

IMO the political powers that be are doing everything they can to shut it down. The NEED the fear out in the populace. If the SEC does not play, they've bowed to the fear mongers in DC IMO. The virus is out here in nature, that genie has left the bottle never to be put back in it. Move on with your lives.

If you have an infected Florida team then are you going to allow them to come to Neyland to play a game and expose hundreds, or even thousands, of people they may come into contact with? They would have to stay at hotels and subject food and hotel service workers to possible exposure. If they take a charter they would have more potential exposure to more of their own team members due to air circulation in the cabin.

How would we know the accuracy of the testing in Gainesville before they came here? Would you trust all coaches to be truthful about the testing status of star players?

Due to limited knowledge of the status of an opposing team would a state governor keep that team from entering the state?

Just do not see how you can have a season with these questions. Unless you do not care about the players and people who might be exposed.

And least high school games are regional and involve people of mostly like populations. But mixing people from different geographical regions or states has the greater potential to produce mass cross contamination of the virus.

The prudent thing to do would be make decisions after we get a vaccine which looks like October or November at this point. The decision needs to be made on the basis of health and safety, not on emotion.

Before I get pounded for this I think people should be going back to work and schools need to reopen. That population is local and probably does not bring a contamination factor from outside the region to the local area. But interstate football just does not make sense right now.
Sounds like, you're suggesting Tennessee should test the Florida and Alabama players before they are allowed on the plane (that way we know the test are quality) and we could prevent any starting - I mean infected - players from coming in state. We would also prohibit any Alabama or Florida fans from attending....that would appear to address most of your concerns...and mine.

Reactions: Purple Tiger

SO let the SEC send an open invitation to all the Big 10 schools (excluding Maryland, Rutgers, Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Iowa) for entry into the SEC for play this fall. If no school wants to join, we'll allow immediate play for any Big 10 or PAc 12 transfer.

Reactions: Wireless1
IMO the political powers that be are doing everything they can to shut it down. The NEED the fear out in the populace. If the SEC does not play, they've bowed to the fear mongers in DC IMO. The virus is out here in nature, that genie has left the bottle never to be put back in it. Move on with your lives.
the whole world HAS LOST IT'S MIND

Reactions: Wireless1
we must now start testing for every flu strain we've had for the last 50 years. If you test positive everyday life must now be shut down. Are beginning to see the craziness here folks.

VN Store

Back