Potential Starting Line up and Rotation 2019-2020

Curious about Plavsic. Have any other bball transfers heard from the NCAA at this point or are all the guys waiting on NCAA?

This is pretty accurate and often the case, it’s why I dismissed the other parts, but to me (I very well could be wrong) the ORN seems to be more than just the typical “he’s impressed”. Multiple outlets have reported him impressing, and the talk hasn’t been just that he looks good but lots of other areas he’s impressed as well, so again I could turn out wrong but the vibes seem similar to what we heard about GW.

Not to switch gears but it is similar in football, probably worse, every year they talk about new guys impressing...but I remember the talk around Derek Barnett was different, just a much more matter of fact to it.
I understand what you mean, and I agree. Some of that info seems more legit than others. Perhaps that is the case with ORN. As you know, I wasn't a fan of that take at the time with the caveat that I wanted to be wrong about him, but he has been growing on me in the months since. His big bump in the rankings and more recent film have helped in that regard. Rankings dont usually move the needle for me, but ORN was a special case having missed his junior year, and the ranking bump seemed to coincide with attention he got his senior year, so I pay a little more attention to rankings in that case.

It will be interesting to see who takes that 5th guard/wing spot in the rotation. Gaines could beat Pons out for that spot.

It will be interesting to see who takes that 5th guard/wing spot in the rotation. Gaines could beat Pons out for that spot.

James/Turner/Bowden/Johnson//Pons/ORN/Fulky/ Plavsic/Kent

That’s 9 guys...Pember and Gaines 10/11 and Bailey sitting out. I still think they try to redshirt Pember but will be interesting to watch.

I remember reading how impressive Kwe Parker looked in the summer. This happens every year.

I’m with BTO I think ORN is going to get a lot of run this year and be solid for us. I still don’t trust anyone at center.

I remember all the talk about about how athletic Kwe was and how high he could jump. My most vivid memory of him during a game was being chewed out by Barnes after getting pulled out of a game and KP ARGUED with CRB rather than being receptive to the criticism/coaching. Barnes has socks older than Kwe, but he was too stupid, stubborn, undisciplined, or egotistical to accept his feedback.

I remember all the talk about about how athletic Kwe was and how high he could jump. My most vivid memory of him during a game was being chewed out by Barnes after getting pulled out of a game and KP ARGUED with CRB rather than being receptive to the criticism/coaching. Barnes has socks older than Kwe, but he was too stupid, stubborn, undisciplined, or egotistical to accept his feedback.
Barnes is a hard coach. There will be others along the way that can't handle his tough approach. Not shocking.

James/Turner/Bowden/Johnson//Pons/ORN/Fulky/ Plavsic/Kent

That’s 9 guys...Pember and Gaines 10/11 and Bailey sitting out. I still think they try to redshirt Pember but will be interesting to watch.

Pons and Plavsic might be the 2 worst options on the offensive end perimeter.

Guys that can switch on every screen and not create a decided mismatch might see a ton of playing time. Turner would be an exception... if he ends up guarding a big post they'll have to stray from the straight up M2M. He won't be missing PT because he can't defend an opposing 6'10" 260 pound post.

Besides Plavsic and maybe Fulky, who else can guard 6-10 260?

Then change it to 6'8" and 220. Point is, practically the entire roster can switch on every screen without creating a huge mismatch... Turner being the exception if he ends up with the biggest post. So he'll either fight through screens or get help after a switch. It won't cause him to sit... they'll figure something out.

I feel like Turner puts this team on his back, especially in the leadership category. I, truly believe Turner and Bowden play their way into 2nd round NBA Draft picks. JJJ lives up to the hype, all-frosh team and 2nd team all-SEC and ORN delivers an all-Frosh team contributer. Vols barely skip a beat and win 25 games. Fulk rounds out the startting 5 with Johnson getting 20 minutes a game

I feel like Turner puts this team on his back, especially in the leadership category. I, truly believe Turner and Bowden play their way into 2nd round NBA Draft picks. JJJ lives up to the hype, all-frosh team and 2nd team all-SEC and ORN delivers an all-Frosh team contributer. Vols barely skip a beat and win 25 games. Fulk rounds out the startting 5 with Johnson getting 20 minutes a game
I have trouble seeing a 2nd rd future for LT. Turner is basically a poor man's Carson Edwards, and Carson Edwards was a 2nd rounder. I think we'd all universally take Edwards over LT if we're being objective and honest.

Bowden is the one of the two I can see working himself into a 2nd rd grade. He has the combo of size, shot, athleticism, and defense that will allow him to make it. LT seems lacking in the size and athleticism department for the NBA, but I'm pulling for him to make it, obviously.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I have trouble seeing a 2nd rd future for LT. Turner is basically a poor man's Carson Edwards, and Carson Edwards was a 2nd rounder. I think we'd all universally take Edwards over LT if we're being objective and honest.

Bowden is the one of the two I can see working himself into a 2nd rd grade. He has the combo of size, shot, athleticism, and defense that will allow him to make it. LT seems lacking in the size and athleticism department for the NBA, but I'm pulling for him to make it, obviously.
Edwards is the better college player no doubt, but Turner is a bit bigger and nowhere near the defensive liability Carsen is. That might help him out.

Reactions: The Dog
Edwards is the better college player no doubt, but Turner is a bit bigger and nowhere near the defensive liability Carsen is. That might help him out.
Ehh, Turner is maybe an inch taller. Almost identical weight. They are very similar in size. I wouldn't call Edwards a defensive liability at all, even if Turner is maybe a bit better. The gap in their offensive ability is much greater than the gap in their defensive ability.

Ehh, Turner is maybe an inch taller. Almost identical weight. They are very similar in size. I wouldn't call Edwards a defensive liability at all, even if Turner is maybe a bit better. The gap in their offensive ability is much greater than the gap in their defensive ability.
Yeah I will root for Turner's post-UT career to be as successful as possible. And the good news is he can make a living playing basketball outside of the NBA. With that said, Turner being drafted would be a huge stretch. He is a very good player and I am glad he plays at UT but he is fighting against a lack of size, shoddy health history, lack of creativity/ability scoring off the bounce, good facilitator with the pass but not really a play-maker with the pass. And that's ok, it's not like every player that doesn't make the NBA is in some way a failure.

Yeah I will root for Turner's post-UT career to be as successful as possible. And the good news is he can make a living playing basketball outside of the NBA. With that said, Turner being drafted would be a huge stretch. He is a very good player and I am glad he plays at UT but he is fighting against a lack of size, shoddy health history, lack of creativity/ability scoring off the bounce, good facilitator with the pass but not really a play-maker with the pass. And that's ok, it's not like every player that doesn't make the NBA is in some way a failure.
Turner doesn’t have bad size at all. Particularly if he can play point. His shoulder issues are the problem. If he has a healthy year at or near 100% I think he could get drafted.

Agreed

We’ll start hearing some buzz about the current team in the coming weeks as everyone is now back in the gym with the start of the fall semester. Some of the early whispers we’ve picked up have just reinforced what we were hearing earlier this summer and that’s that people around the program think they may have gotten an absolute steal in Olivier Robinson-Nkamoua. We had a couple of people close to the program tell us at the end of July that he looked like one of the five best players on the team, we’re hearing that same opinion expressed now that fall workouts have commenced.
-VQ

I just hope they can put together a serviceable roster, to keep the Vols undefeated at home this season. I know that’s a lot to ask for but that’s a great winning streak they have going.

VN Store

Back