Potential Starting Line up and Rotation 2019-2020

Barnes will know his players and adapt(as is his history). if he could win 15 games with a front court of 2 freshmen (one of which was a volleyball player) plus Kasongo, Moore and Reese, this team IN COMPARISON is a 25 game lock.

Barnes will know his players and adapt(as is his history). if he could win 15 games with a front court of 2 freshmen (one of which was a volleyball player) plus Kasongo, Moore and Reese, this team IN COMPARISON is a 25 game lock.
I like the optimism but I do think you’re overestimating the frontcourt. With a brutal schedule I’d say 20 or 21 is reasonable but certainly no guarantee. If we hit 20 we should be in the tournament though.

Reactions: goldvol
Seems like CRB likes an 8 man rotation since he’s been at UT. Any reason to think he will go deeper this season?
If he felt really comfortable with what a 9 or 10 could bring, yes. Numbers and quality depth can be a difference maker in cases such as Tennessee, where we lost a boatload of really good players.

I like the optimism but I do think you’re overestimating the frontcourt. With a brutal schedule I’d say 20 or 21 is reasonable but certainly no guarantee. If we hit 20 we should be in the tournament though.
key words in that post were In comparison. if Barnes hadn't lost his best player the last 8 games of the 15-16 season he'd most likely have gone to the tourney. Don't think many would argue that this is a better team. We still lack depth in the front court, but the over all talent is better. Even starting 2 freshmen in the front court the back ups of fulk, Pons, Kent? have to be better than Reese and Moore(because of his size).
With no major injuries in the back court, i'd guarantee 20+ regular season. i say it over and over, Regular season has never been Barnes' problem.(exception against top 25 teams)

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
key words in that post were In comparison. if Barnes hadn't lost his best player the last 8 games of the 15-16 season he'd most likely have gone to the tourney. Don't think many would argue that this is a better team. We still lack depth in the front court, but the over all talent is better. Even starting 2 freshmen in the front court the back ups of fulk, Pons, Kent? have to be better than Reese and Moore(because of his size).
With no major injuries in the back court, i'd guarantee 20+ regular season. i say it over and over, Regular season has never been Barnes' problem.(exception against top 25 teams)
Fair enough. What I do like is if our backcourt can be what we think we can cause some real problems come tourney time. Teams with good guards are tough in the dance. Man, we would be top 5 had Bone and Williams come back. Oh well, I’ll settle for another NCAA appearance and maybe going farther than our seeding suggests!

Yeah, I can't believe I forgot JJ. I really hope the light comes on for him, this year.
He shot 45% from 3 last year in limited attempts.. He would have gotten to play more if he wasn’t so far behind Bowden/Turner/Schofield/Bone last year. He’ll get the playing time to develop more HOPEFULLY.

Reactions: VOLED
I really think this is Jalen's year. He might start, but I think he'll certainly be our sixth man. He reminds me a lot of Terrance Ross.

Reactions: Willy14
It seems like every year Barnes has been here, there has been someone that redshirted, is it likely that he will keep that trend up with Bailey already having to sit out and keeping the extra 13th spot open?

It seems like every year Barnes has been here, there has been someone that redshirted, is it likely that he will keep that trend up with Bailey already having to sit out and keeping the extra 13th spot open?

If Jalen Johnson is ready to be an impact player, Gaines could redshirt. Possibly Pember if Plavsic gains eligibility. Also, Pember missed much of last year due to an injury. Although he was back later in the season, there's no need to rush him if he's not 100%.

Reactions: Willy14
If Jalen Johnson is ready to be an impact player, Gaines could redshirt. Possibly Pember if Plavsic gains eligibility. Also, Pember missed much of last year due to an injury. Although he was back later in the season, there's no need to rush him if he's not 100%.

Agree on with you on Gaines. They should let him play in a few exhibition games to see how he does. He may be skinny but he is very athletic and has some nice handles.

Rump's runts won a national Championship with a very small lineup.

Rump's runts won a national Championship with a very small lineup.
More than 50 years ago. Times have changed just slightly. Of course had Okeke not gone down for Auburn they had an excellent chance to win it last year with a pretty small lineup by today’s standards.

Agree on with you on Gaines. They should let him play in a few exhibition games to see how he does. He may be skinny but he is very athletic and has some nice handles.

There's just the one exhibition this year versus Eastern New Mexico on October 30th. I bet they'll line up the closed scrimmage versus Davidson or some school a few hours away. I think that they traveled last year so maybe someone comes to Knoxville this year. They can have 2 exhibitions or an exhibition and a scrimmage every year.

Unfortunately I don't think that the redshirt rule for football has been adopted for basketball. Freshman football players are now allowed to participate in a couple of games and still preserve their redshirt. I'm pretty sure that basketball players still burn their redshirt if they play a single minute during the regular season.

Gaines sounds pretty good, but he is potentially a 4-year player. IMO he's the most likely to redshirt. Plavsic's eligibility could possibly impact Gaines. If Plavsic is eligible, Pember could take a few of the available minutes on the perimeter. If Plavsic isn't eligible Gaines (and Pember) are likely needed so that there are 10 (scholarship) players available.

I wouldn't write off Jancek contributing... especially if Plavsic isn't cleared. He has 5 more fouls to give in the paint.

More than 50 years ago. Times have changed just slightly. Of course had Okeke not gone down for Auburn they had an excellent chance to win it last year with a pretty small lineup by today’s standards.
True, ut the outside game is where you win today, if you have someone who can protect the rim and get an offensive rebound or two. The game today is won with the point guard, the shooting guard and three and four stretching the court opening up the lane for drives and feeding the open man inside the 15 foot area. I don't think the teams we play will be able to stop us with a zone or man defense, especially next year. I am not yet sure we will win the SEC this year, but we will make the Big Dance.

Other than Turner and Bowden, it's really hard to predict the starters. James will probably be another, although maybe not until after a few games in. Plavsic if he's eligible is the 5 IMO. Then I think Fulkerson's experience gets him the 4, although ORN could take it from him.

I'll guess:

1) Turner
2) Bowden
3) James
4) Fulkerson
5) Plavsic

Johnson could be the 3 on day 1. If Plavsic has to sit, then I wouldn't be surprised if the 5th (not necessarily a "5") is ORN, Pons, or Kent.

Really, other than Turner and Bowden, I could see any of 7 (James, Fulk, ORN, Plavsic, Kent, Johnson, Pons) from the other 9 fill out the other 3 spots. I'll be very surprised (actually shocked) if Pember or Gaines earn a start.

If JJJ is even somewhat as good as advertised, there is no way Jalen Johnson starts over JJJ. Jalen will be the first man off the bench. But there is no way Rick is keeping his stallion on the bench to start the game. I'm 100% certain of that.

Reactions: cardvolfan

VN Store

Back