Potential Starting Line up and Rotation 2019-2020

Backwards K

I'm sure this has been discussed but I didn't see another thread or many posts regarding this. What does the line up look like next year and how will this team fare in conference?

Edit: Just saw a thread discussing this. Moderators, please merge this thread with "Locked up Roster..."

Turner
Bowden
James
Fulkerson
Kent

Probably only see Pons, Burns, Johnson, and potentially Plavsic play meaningful minutes off the bench. Bowden, Turner, and James are gonna have to play 30+ mins most nights.

Turner
Bowden
James
Fulkerson
Kent

Probably only see Pons, Burns, Johnson, and potentially Plavsic play meaningful minutes off the bench. Bowden, Turner, and James are gonna have to play 30+ mins most nights.
Hard to say what the Starting lineup will be at this point, but I think its possible that Burns or Plavsic get the starting nod over Kent. All the rest of your picks I believe are spot on.

Hard to say what the Starting lineup will be at this point, but I think its possible that Burns or Plavsic get the starting nod over Kent. All the rest of your picks I believe are spot on.

Volquest has said that Kent has been the most impressive big man during the offseason workouts. That's all I'm going off of. It most certainly could be either of the other two.

I could see the lineup changing a lot this year, and minutes varying game by game dependent on matchups...I think you’ll see something like:

Turner 34
Bowden 34
James 30
Fulky 22
Plavsic 18
Pons 14
Burns 13
Kent 13
Johnson 12
Pember 10

Reactions: tennrich1
If Burns can run the floor, I see him starting or give plenty of minutes. If he, Kent, Fulky, and Plavsic can give us solid play, then we could have another good season. We'll be guard driven in 19', but could be very good.

Starters @ open...
Turner 1&2
Bowden 2&1
Pons 3, 2 & 4
Fulky 4&5
Kent 5
w minutes for Johnson, James, Burns, Plavsic, ORN

Starters by SEC ...
Turner 1&2
Bowden 2&1
James 3 & 2
Fulky 4&5
Burns 5
w minutes for Johnson, Pons, Kent, Plavsic, ORN

Reactions: RyanWalkerPGH
James,Turner,Bowden,Fulkerson,Kent.

Johnson,Pons, and Burns top bench players.

That's not strong folks.

Reactions: mrMet
Turner
Bowden
James
Fulkerson
Kent

Fulk and Kent starting? The other team would be in the bonus before the first tv time out

Reactions: Vols All Day
Turner
Bowden
James
Fulkerson
Kent

Uh, Plavsic ain’t eligible.

All speculation at this point but would expect Turner, Bowden, and James will be the starting backcourt and wings. Johnson can rotate in at two spots. With lack of depth and ball handlers I think Gaines will also be in rotation especially early in the year. Pons will be situational for defensive purposes unless he improves a ton.

The frontcourt is anyone’s guess. Fulky given his experience I suppose will start at PF. His game would seem to complement Kent (who supposedly can face up and shoot) if both were on the court at the same time. We don’t even know if Plavsic will be eligible yet but if he is, he will be in rotation. Burns is true post player and based on small amount of film could be a sneaky good passer. Burns is the one player I’m the most hopeful about. If he is in shape he could turn into a very solid college player. Someone like ORN, Pember or even Pons probably complement him better if on the floor at the same time. Pons can play SF or PF in my opinion off the bench depending if we want to have a big or small lineup. I wouldn’t be shocked if he plays more PF as a backup than SF. I’ve always thought Pember will redshirt to get stronger. However with his perimeter shooting and given we may be offensively challenged with players coming off the bench, perhaps not. May depend on ORN’s productivity.

While not Barnes’ MO, we may eventually settle on a longer and deeper bench than he usually likes...like 10 guys primarily due to frontcourt inexperience. Grant and Admiral both played a lot and I don’t see anyone in the frontcourt who pulls anywhere close to those minutes. Even Fulky may only average 20-25 minutes per game.

Will be interesting to see how it all works out. I am a believer in Barnes’ ability to develop players and next year is going to be a massive test.

We have a lot of flexibility with the rotation. Barnes can create matchup nightmares for non-elite coaches.

PGs: Turner, James, Bowden, Johnson

Wings/2s/3s/SG/SF: the 4 PGs plus Pons, Pember, Gaines, Fulkerson, Kent

High Post/4/PF: Fulk, Pons, ORN, Plavsic, Pember, Kent, Burns, Johnson, Gaines

Low Post/5/Center: Kent, Burns, Fulk, ORN, Plavsic, Pember, Pons

I wouldn't expect to see Fulk, Pember, Kent, or a few others as a shooting guard/2, but certainly possible as a wing opposite a true SG/2. The trend in basketball is moving to a position-less system. I wish that Barnes would incorporate more zone-like looks on defense since the combinations that we can put on the court would be limited with some M2M matchups.

We have a lot of flexibility with the rotation. Barnes can create matchup nightmares for non-elite coaches.

PGs: Turner, James, Bowden, Johnson

Wings/2s/3s/SG/SF: the 4 PGs plus Pons, Pember, Gaines, Fulkerson, Kent

High Post/4/PF: Fulk, Pons, ORN, Plavsic, Pember, Kent, Burns, Johnson, Gaines

Low Post/5/Center: Kent, Burns, Fulk, ORN, Plavsic, Pember, Pons

I wouldn't expect to see Fulk, Pember, Kent, or a few others as a shooting guard/2, but certainly possible as a wing opposite a true SG/2. The trend in basketball is moving to a position-less system. I wish that Barnes would incorporate more zone-like looks on defense since the combinations that we can put on the court would be limited with some M2M matchups.
Let’s hope so...

VN Store

Back