Potential Starting Line up and Rotation 2019-2020

Per VQ ORN has created a buzz since arriving, but Plavsic has blown people away...was the best big man on the team the moment he walked in the door and as a redshirt freshman has more of an offensive skill set than Kyle Alexander had as a redshirt senior.
Cmon BTO - you only wished Alexander red shirted.

If Plasvic is eligible.....
Plasvic
Burns
Bowden
Turner
James

The majority of bench minutes would go to Johnson, Pons, Fulk and Kent

If Plasvic isn't eligible
Burns
Kent
Bowden
Turner
James

The bench minutes would go to Johnson, Pons and Fulk with ORN getting minutes here and there.p
I’m sure Kent, the newborn Giraffe who couldn't even appear for mop up minutes, is going to start ahead of Fulk who’s been banging against SEC teams for two years.

Reactions: HighWaterVol
One guy who is knocking it out of the park on the S&C front is redshirt freshman D.J. Burns. He’s now down a total of 47 pounds since he arrived on campus last summer after graduating high school early to get into the neighborhood of 230 pounds. That’s a huge positive for Burns, since the detail that will probably determine his playing time more than anything else is his defense. His lateral quickness and lift are, not surprisingly, much improved, not to mention his stamina. All that should lend itself to him being better on the defensive end in his second year in the program.
As for the incoming high school signees, Josiah James has lived up to the hype from what we’re hearing. It sounds like he’s going to be someone that Rick Barnes will be able to use in a variety of ways. Skill-wise Drew Pember is ready to compete and contribute at this level. How soon he gets on the floor is probably just going to be determined by how much strength he can add in his upper-body.
-VQ

With the news of Plavsic really impressive and the staff feeling good about him getting eligible, and now the news of Burns getting down to around 230lbs combined with the news we heard of Kent being impressive...suddenly feel much better about the front court and understand why maybe Barnes was more optimistic than most on that group.

It still has to translate but last year after Kyle there wasn’t much of an option, if we’ve got Plavsic matching KA’s production, and then have a couple decent options off the bench we could be an improved team at the 5.

Reactions: VOLED

I know the benefits of Burns losing that baby fat, but I do worry that he will get TOO light to successfully bang down low. I know CRB likes bigs who can run and fly, and so do I, but I feel like after Walker got "Alexanderized" he never was the same player. I was hoping Burns would stay around 250 which is not too much weight for a muscular 6'9".

Disclaimer: When I played there was no 3-point line and I kinda miss the battles of behemoths in the paint you used to see back in the day, so I'm sure this influences my thinking. So feel free to slam away with the Gran Torino references. :D

I know the benefits of Burns losing that baby fat, but I do worry that he will get TOO light to successfully bang down low. I know CRB likes bigs who can run and fly, and so do I, but I feel like after Walker got "Alexanderized" he never was the same player. I was hoping Burns would stay around 250 which is not too much weight for a muscular 6'9".

Disclaimer: When I played there was no 3-point line and I kinda miss the battles of behemoths in the paint you used to see back in the day, so I'm sure this influences my thinking. So feel free to slam away with the Gran Torino references. :D
Laffed hard at you closing statement. 😆

With the news of Plavsic really impressive and the staff feeling good about him getting eligible, and now the news of Burns getting down to around 230lbs combined with the news we heard of Kent being impressive...suddenly feel much better about the front court and understand why maybe Barnes was more optimistic than most on that group.
It’s good hear that everyone has improved, but why are there reports about Blackshear if there has been so much improvement. To get Blackshear one of our post players status with the team would likely be changing.

It’s good hear that everyone has improved, but why are there reports about Blackshear if there has been so much improvement. To get Blackshear one of our post players status with the team would likely be changing.
Because he is an immediate game-changing addition. Think Reid Travis at UK last year, though Blackshear probably has an even bigger impact on our team. All the other guys are pure speculation, at this point. KB is a guarantee and only a 1-year investment. It is rumored that no one will lose their spot if we land him. Someone (likely Pember since he is an in-state kid) will pay their own way. He could even possibly prep for a year, though I’m not sure if that is possible since he is already on campus.

From scholarship to walk-on, or possibly prep?

Is VQ really all sunshine and rainbows right or are you guys just omitting any of the negative stuff?

They’re pretty optimistic about the hoops team, take that how you want.

In football they are genuinely pessimistic about what results to expect in the season while simultaneously being optimistic about certain individual players (and basically always being 100% wrong about those players)

I’m pretty excited to see these new look Vols.

I’m not worried about our backcourt at all. Tuner and Bowden are good. It’s highly unlikely James is anything worse than average. And I think Jalen has potential to be a solid contributor.

Frontcourt is almost totally new and I can’t wait to see what it looks like.

VQ seems pretty optimistic about hoops, and while they certainly lean more optimistic with football, they tend to be more negative there. But they can't stray too far from being kinda sunshine pumpy or people will get mad.

It's a business running sites like they do, after all.

VQ seems pretty optimistic about hoops, and while they certainly lean more optimistic with football, they tend to be more negative there. But they can't stray too far from being kinda sunshine pumpy or people will get mad.

It's a business running sites like they do, after all.
That’s true. When I made my comment though, I was thinking of how we always here how “good” the team looks, and how one player looks to be a major weapon for this coming season, and then we are always let down.

The 247 Podcast (the one that covered Bone leaving and Uros coming in) was interesting, almost all the players on the team can play more than one spot - it gives for some interesting combinations/options. Either way, it is a guard oriented team coming up.

My idea of a rotation is guys that play 20-30+ minutes.
A bench of 10 -20 guys.
spot minutes 5-10.
We played a 6-2-2 last season.
I think we'll do the same this season.

Our 20 -30+ guys will be James Bowden Turner Johnson Fulkerson and Plavsic.
10-20 ORN Burns
Spot Pons Kent

If ORN plays to staff expectation he could swap places with Fulk.
Burns will be limited by stamina issues.(Lost too much weight. Needs a season to adjust to his new body)
Pons doesn't have the IQ to play in this system.
Kent doesn't have the umph.
Hope I'm wrong about the Negs.
RS Pember Gaines
I'd expect a lot of experimenting early,more up tempo and 19-20+ wins.
Of course if the NCAA screws us and doesn't clear our center, everything changes.
Just my opinion, no intent to diss anyone.

Reactions: Dallasbowlin
My idea of a rotation is guys that play 20-30+ minutes.
A bench of 10 -20 guys.
spot minutes 5-10.
We played a 6-2-2 last season.
I think we'll do the same this season.

Our 20 -30+ guys will be James Bowden Turner Johnson Fulkerson and Plavsic.
10-20 ORN Burns
Spot Pons Kent

If ORN plays to staff expectation he could swap places with Fulk.
Burns will be limited by stamina issues.(Lost too much weight. Needs a season to adjust to his new body)
Pons doesn't have the IQ to play in this system.
Kent doesn't have the umph.
Hope I'm wrong about the Negs.
RS Pember Gaines
I'd expect a lot of experimenting early,more up tempo and 19-20+ wins.
Of course if the NCAA screws us and doesn't clear our center, everything changes.
Just my opinion, no intent to diss anyone.
I would think Burns's stamina issues would have been corrected by all the conditioning and weight loss. You don't think so?

I would think Burns's stamina issues would have been corrected by all the conditioning and weight loss. You don't think so?
I was thinking of Grant who lost the weight but still got gassed in a lot of games. Hopefully it is different with Burns, but I lean to the pessimistic for TN.Also a recent VQ suggested it hadn't translated in the stamina dept. as of late.

I was thinking of Grant who lost the weight but still got gassed in a lot of games. Hopefully it is different with Burns, but I lean to the the pessimistic for TN.
True. Grant was relied on a lot more heavily too, so maybe that was a factor. I doubt Burns is playing 32 mpg and our leading scorer, but if he is, all the better.

As for the current team, offseason workouts are well underway. We’ve mentioned the impression that many of the newcomers have made, but one veteran who’s having a nice summer is Jalen Johnson. If that pans out that would be huge for the Vols who could use some more scoring pop from a line-up that currently has two proven SEC players in Lamonte Turner and Jordan Bowden.
-VQ

VN Store

Back