Post-game thoughts

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
We really could not run the ball. . . .again. The late-game breakaways looked like we were taking advantage of a thin, and tired Marshall D. Early on, we were getting hit at the line and in the backfield. That will just NOT get it done against the SEC.

Ainge and the receivers handled the weather VERY well.

Coker is fast.

Our D really has problems with defending the option and the QB running plays. Teams are surely working in a few plays into the book as they prepare for UT. Chief needs to find a solution.

Good win, but we didn't look like a 33-7 winner in the first half, for sure. At least we played strong late, a bit of a change from the last 3 games.

Our D really has problems with defending the option and the QB running plays.

Did you notice though that right before the half Chavis chewed Karl up one side and down the other and in the second half, though it worked at times, we had a lot more success slowing the option down because we were stepping up and smacking the QB every chance we got?

It was certainly A LOT closer than the final score.

I'd just like to add that I'm proud of our receivers. Not only are they running clean routes, blocking and catching the ball, they are all fighting for YAC this year. Lots of second effort, especially Meachem.

we had a lot more success slowing the option down because we were stepping up and smacking the QB every chance we got?

Yep, in the first half, they weren't hitting anyone. In the second half, they started putting hits on the QB regardless and were more successful at slowing it down.

Looks like the Vols are gonna have a hard time stopping the run and running the ball this year.

The D-line could not consistantly get a push against a below avg. offensive line. And on Offense the O-line looked confused and not aggresive.

I think shaking things up on the OL would do them some good. Bob said that the second teamers were in there late, and they were actually getting a push.

Has anyone noticed how poor our FB's are playing. In the Air Force and Florida game Cory Anderson missed some key blocks and in today's game David Holbert missed a block and EA was sacked.

Has anyone noticed how poor our FB's are playing. In the Air Force and Florida game Cory Anderson missed some key blocks and in today's game David Holbert missed a block and EA was sacked.

Yeah, they definitely need to step it up.

The biggest problem I saw was on 3rd downs. We couldn't stop Marshall when it mattered the most on 3rd and longs. They found a hole in our D and got a bunch on 3rd downs:blink:

The biggest problem I saw was on 3rd downs. We couldn't stop Marshall when it mattered the most on 3rd and longs. They found a hole in our D and got a bunch on 3rd downs:blink:
I noticed on 3rd downs that our D-line was not even a factor. If it wasn't from Ryan Karl I don't know what would have happened :ermm:

I kind of got the impression that the success running the ball late was from Marshall tiring... but I would like to think that Coker's running style (hitting the hole opposed to Hardesty dancing around) helped matters as well. Thoughts?

My biggest post-game reaction so far has been that as big as our problems are, UF and UGA's aren't any smaller- or, for that matter, almost the entire rest of the SEC except for Auburn.

I'm trying to figure out who I want the SEC to send to the Liberty Bowl to play the CUSA Champ- About the only teams I can think of who wouldn't be likely to at least choke enough to emabarrass us are UK and Vandy, and I don't think they'll win enough games to qualify.

I kind of got the impression that the success running the ball late was from Marshall tiring... but I would like to think that Coker's running style (hitting the hole opposed to Hardesty dancing around) helped matters as well. Thoughts?

Honestly I like Coker's running style 10x better. Hardesty dances around too much for me. Instead of hitting the hole and getting 4 yards, he'll try to make 3 juke moves in the backfield and try to bust it out the outside and get a yard or so. Coker hits his whole and then if it closes he runs the other way and make a play out of it with this track speed.

My biggest post-game reaction so far has been that as big as our problems are, UF and UGA's aren't any smaller- or, for that matter, almost the entire rest of the SEC except for Auburn.

I'm trying to figure out who I want the SEC to send to the Liberty Bowl to play the CUSA Champ- About the only teams I can think of who wouldn't be likely to at least choke enough to emabarrass us are UK and Vandy, and I don't think they'll win enough games to qualify.

Kentucky has a great chance to go. They have 2 wins now and they play teams like South Carolina, Vandy, and some easy cupcake teams and they could easily when 6 games with a great shot to win 7 I think

With guys like Foster, Hardesty and Coker it's amazing we can't run the ball. We are probably deeper at the running back postion than anyone in the country. The o-line needs to improve to get it done in the SEC. Like others have mentioned we still show no signs of stopping the run or option.

Meach and Swain are doing a great job but I'd still like to see more deep passes to Taylor mixed in every once in awhile. Special team still needs ALOT of work.

Good report, but we the question we all want answered is......

How was the Tailgating???? :p

Since you asked. . . .the worst I've seen in 3 years. I actually apologized to some Herd fans that we couldn't show them all that K-town has to offer.

Meach and Swain are doing a great job but I'd still like to see more deep passes to Taylor mixed in every once in awhile. Special team still needs ALOT of work.

Why throw deep to Lucas? Coker is faster, and Meach and Swain have better hands... I think Rogers probably has better hands than Lucas. :dunno:

I haven't seen Coker run yet, but both Foster and Hardesty have been driving me crazy this year by pausing and/or juking before they hit the assigned hole.

While the line definitely needs works, I've kind've got the feeling that those guys are making it worse by forcing them to hold the hole longer. I haven't been able to watch any of the games except Cal more than once, but, since they seem to be juking before they hit the original hole, not going for an alternate, I've got a strong suspicion it's as much their fault as the line's.

A serious concern, Memphis, is that we're getting hit in the backfield and at the line. A lot of plays either don't even allow the back to "hit the hole" or don't give the back a hole to hit.

I just read something even more unbelievable than that. Through 3 quarters, we only had 14 rushing attempts. I thought this was sort of an interesting passage:

From the Jackson Sun....

If there were any problems with the running game, Ligon said it's because the Vols didn't run the ball enough. They rushed only 14 times in the first three quarters. Ligon said it got to the point that he and left tackle Arron Sears were "yelling and screaming" at Adkins to run the ball.
"We got very animated, especially in the fourth quarter," Ligon said. "We wanted to run the ball. We were telling them, 'We want to run this play right here.' "

Ligon was vindicated on the second play of the fourth quarter, when LaMarcus Coker scored on an 89-yard run. "When we were running off the field," Ligon said, "we told (Adkins), 'I told you. Listen to us. We're going to do good when the game's on the line. Just let us perform."

Is Ligon delusional, or does he have a point?

VN Store

Back