Portal Madness

This post is full of stupid. Have you ever been to the campus? It’s a beautiful place.

Far from stupid,,,, I was not talking about just campus. Mainly the whole western side of the state. Granted it is better than the swamp of eastern Ark, (as is my west Tn.) But stupid me just didn't think kids stayed on campus for their time in college.

This is a whole new ball game for roster management. Yes guys will have to be re-recruited but you can cut or ease lesser motivated or talented players into the portal and drop their scholarship. Certain positions like tight end, offensive line, special teams players can be brought in as PWOs and developed via strength and conditioning like an NFL taxi squad. Then give them an NIL deal to offset the lack of a scholarship. Have more scholarships aimed at impact defensive players rather than developmental offensive players, I think the portal and NIL can benefit programs like Tennessee with an abundance of assets, great fan base and not a strong consistent high school talent base. A younger aggressive coach like Heupel can have offensive skill players begging to play in his system while importing defensive talent through the portal and JUCO ranks. The PWO program can load up on 2/3 star linemen who may be projects but can have huge upside as well. Hold a consistent 3 to 4 scholarships for guys promoted from PWO status if they can break the depth chart and produce.

The strangest thing I have seen if 247 database is correct is that GA has zero activity, in or out this year. Last year they made a lot of room with exits and picked up like 3 guys. Guess that is how they got to add so many this year on ESD.

Arkansas is like Alabama except two more teeth. Total of 3.

Go VOLS

It appears we have a growing list of portal departures. Mostly players not essential cogs in the 2021 team, yet who may be depleting our already thin ranks.
They include, thusfar: Kaemen Marley (LB), Will Albright (long snapper), K'Rojhn Calbert (OL), Andison Coby (WR), Trinity Bell (WR), and Dee Beckwith (RB), so far leaving the orange for parts unknown.

1642171782238.png

saw an episode of "next generation" yesterday where an ambassador got lost in the transporter and lost to the void yesterday (seriously).

Good thing about the portal is you can bring into the program as many as you lose. Trick is to bring in better players than the ones you lose.

Good thing about the portal is you can bring into the program as many as you lose. Trick is to bring in better players than the ones you lose.
It appears we have a growing list of portal departures. Mostly players not essential cogs in the 2021 team, yet who may be depleting our already thin ranks.
They include, thusfar: Kaemen Marley (LB), Will Albright (long snapper), K'Rojhn Calbert (OL), Andison Coby (WR), Trinity Bell (WR), and Dee Beckwith (RB), so far leaving the orange for parts unknown.

View attachment 428229

This thread is giving me serious Sliders and Quantum Leap vibes

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
Gotta say that if we're dependent upon those guys for success next year, we're in much worse shape than I'd like to think.

Some did not see the field, so what. If I understand the rules still only 11 can play. These young men are going to have to learn in this day and time that good things come to those that not only wait but work hard as well. Maybe some of them should speak with players who did like Mac Jones.

I personally quit wearing myself wandering about this and that. I have decided to let the program develop and coaches coach. Whoever is on the field wearing the POWER T is who I am cheering for and supporting. GBO and Blessings to all.

Reactions: volfan8
Not many of those guys saw the field at all. If we can bring in experienced ready contributors in their place, we will have upgraded.

Reactions: i2amavol
Many coaches, including Heup, are using the portal to upgrade the roster. He met w every player so there may be more coming.

Saban is doing the same thing to close the gap of certain deficiencies.

I'm choosing to believe that we are making room for a number of defensive contributors to enter UT via the portal. Bring them on Coach.

Someone explain this to me . Are they just looking for more money or what is the reason ?

I don't know. Common sense would tell you the reasons for leaving one school for another are various. NIL money may be a very popular reason. Playing time is probably high on the list as well, and there may be an occasional "broke up with girlfriend, and does not want to be around her anymore." And there might be a few who's personality did not jell with the majority of his teammates, and he needs a fresh start elsewhere. And there are probably 20 other reasons I cannot think of at 3AM.

But if you want to do a study, and contact the players in the transfer portal to participate in a poll? Have at it. Some may be up front and talkative, but most probably won't be. If you want to dedicate the next five years of your life to it, and enjoy talking to 18-24 years olds? Go for it, we may all learn a few things. Just be sure and retract names if you want to make it work well. Good luck with it.

College football...specifically FBS football...has changed as we know it, and it will likely never be the same again. The confluence of the NIL policy, the transfer portal and "one time" transfer rule, and to a lesser extent the COVID rule have resulted in a chaotic landscape that makes the NFL's free agency market pale in comparison. Consider that there are only 32 NFL teams, and there are 130 FBS teams. That right there tells you how crazy this is going to get.

Finding the right "balance" in NIL. Same for the transfer portal and the one-time rule. The impact of the COVID rule will eventually filter out of the system. Head coaches who pull chocks for a bigger / better job while still under contract. These are all issues that can, have, and will continue to have a huge influence on how FBS teams build and sustain their programs. But if you want some level of parity in FBS, then you'd better get this figured out quick, because Nick Saban and a handful of other FBS coaches are picking fruit from the top of the tree, and the have-nots are going to have to settle for whatever fruit is on the lower branches, or ends up hitting the ground at their feet. It is what it is.

Be careful what you wish for. I am of the opinion that in an effort to make things more "fair" for a college athlete, we have ended up letting the kids pick what they want for dinner every day, and the end result is not going to produce a healthy outcome.

JMO. Go Vols.

Reactions: peaygolf
The grass is always greener on the other side, until it isn’t. Some of these young men are going to end up learning a valuable life lesson, and not in a good way.

This is truly crazy. LSU and Arkansas essentially just completed an intra-division, 4 player trade:

To LSU from Arkansas
S Joe Foucha
CB Greg Brooks

To Arkansas from LSU
CB Dwight McGlothern
DE Landon Jackson

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol

VN Store

Back