Pons declares for draft

No one at the NBA level will expect Pons to be some elite offensive threat. He can certainly improve there, and if he does it will help his stock. But his bread is buttered on defense, and theoretically being able to stretch the floor. That 42% on catch and shoot percentage is very important because that's most likely what his role on offense will be. We ask him to score in the post a fair amount, but no way will nba coaches being drawing up plays for that. Better handle and softer hands will help his overall offensive game. He's essentially a more athletic Andre Roberson with a higher potential on offense.

No one at the NBA level will expect Pons to be some elite offensive threat. He can certainly improve there, and if he does it will help his stock. But his bread is buttered on defense, and theoretically being able to stretch the floor. That 42% on catch and shoot percentage is very important because that's most likely what his role on offense will be. We ask him to score in the post a fair amount, but no way will nba coaches being drawing up plays for that. Better handle and softer hands will help his overall offensive game. He's essentially a more athletic Andre Roberson with a higher potential on offense.
I agree with the Andre Roberson comparison. However, I think Pons will be an even less effective offensive player in the NBA than Andre is.

I agree with the Andre Roberson comparison. However, I think Pons will be an even less effective offensive player in the NBA than Andre is.
I think Pons will be a better 3 point threat than Andre is, mostly because he's actually improved this year, while Andre really got worse in college at shooting, and never really shot 3s. Plus Pons will be a constant lob threat in transition. Andre is a better ball handler in fairly sure, but it's been over 2 years since he's played so i honestly don't remember. Even if Pons is better on offense, which I'm not sure he will be, his impact on that end probably will be similar.

With all due respect I don't think it is actually possible for Pons to be a worse offensive player than Roberson lol. I'm not shocked when Pons makes a 3, I am however filled with complete shock and disbelief when Roberson would make anything other than a layup or dunk. Bored so I did a little research, on shots from 10-16 feet Roberson's career make percentage is 14%, from 16 feet to the border of the 3pt line is 15%, and from beyond 3 he shoots 26%. Just an awful, awful offensive player lol

Last edited:
With all due respect I don't think it is actually possible for Pons to be a worse offensive player than Roberson lol. I'm not shocked when Pons makes a 3, I am however filled with complete shock and disbelief when Roberson would make anything other than a layup or dunk. Bored so I did a little research, on shots from 10-16 feet Roberson's career make percentage is 14%, from 16 feet to the border of the 3pt line is 15%, and from beyond 3 he shoots 26%. Just an awful, awful offensive player lol
I understand that. Unfortunately, he is so limited that I think in the NBA they will take away the only thing Pons can do on offense and force him to do something else. I think the result will be a very poor offensive player. I hope I am wrong.

I understand that. Unfortunately, he is so limited that I think in the NBA they will take away the only thing Pons can do on offense and force him to do something else. I think the result will be a very poor offensive player. I hope I am wrong.
If u can hit the 3, in today's NBA, they are going to let u shoot it and I think Pons can

Garza, Gonzaga highlight college basketball's biggest remaining offseason decisions

While not ranked in ESPN's top 100 draft rankings, Yves Pons does intrigue some NBA teams. He is a terrific defender, and he made about one 3-pointer per game last season. That said, he should return to Knoxville next season. And if he does, I think Tennessee is a legitimate preseason top-10 team. Rick Barnes has guards and playmakers, he has scorers on the wing and he has depth and options up front. But Pons is the type of X factor every Final Four-caliber team needs: Someone who can make plays at both ends of the floor. I might be higher on the Volunteers than most, but Pons returning to Tennessee would make them the preseason favorite to win the SEC.

From Vol Hoops Instagram. Wonder if Pons is coming back?

Attachments

• 416FCAD5-AB6F-42EB-8BFB-747EA303DC13.png
    416FCAD5-AB6F-42EB-8BFB-747EA303DC13.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 92
Reactions: LucidZ
Weird that they would release that with the old numbers. Uros and Nkamhoua have both changed their numbers to 33 and 13, respectively. Are you sure that isn’t an old graphic?

Weird that they would release that with the old numbers. Uros and Nkamhoua have both changed their numbers to 33 and 13, respectively. Are you sure that isn’t an old graphic?
That is a little weird, but it is from there Instagram story today.

He definitely is not "so limited" offensively. If that were the case, scouts would not have been coming in droves to see him.

Obviously he could be an outlier, but this would likely suggest he’s viewed in that 80-100 range which would equate to undrafted.
It would seem unwise for him to take that leap of faith unless he is fine with being in drafted and playing in Europe, in which case, I think he’d have already signed with an agent and committed to the draft.

It would seem unwise for him to take that leap of faith unless he is fine with being in drafted and playing in Europe, in which case, I think he’d have already signed with an agent and committed to the draft.
Him being in Knoxville with the team at the very least tells me he hasn’t made up his mind to enter the draft/Europe.

The thing about lists like that is that they're aggregates for many teams internal "Top 100" lists. So he could be completely off the radar of 20 teams, but be a top 30-40 player for 5 teams and lottery/anywhere for the rest. All it takes is one team to have him in the draft and make a promise (that you pray they honor).

VN Store

Back