Pons declares for draft

Smart choice, though I expect to see him remain on the Vols if he is under the impression that a season will be played this year.

Not up to date with the rules, but can he still come back if he doesn't get the evaluation he wants?

He can. And maybe he will. The announcement is a little vague. Usually if someone is just testing the waters and looking for an evaluation that’s stated. I’m not entirely sure what Yves plan is.

According to this article, and I'm very certain that this is the first time a French sports newspaper has had an inside scoop regarding the Tennessee Vols, Yves is keeping the door open to return for his final season.

Le Français Yves Pons va s'inscrire à la Draft NBA - Basket - NBA

Sounds like Pons is gone as long as he gets any type of guarantee. While it hurts the Vols, leaving maybe Pons best option. If Pons comes back his touches aren't likely to increase, so his stock likely won't rise.

Last edited:
He has made tremendous strides each year. I would love to see him come back for one more year. He is a small ball power forward who can guard positions 2-4 and has the ability to be a great pick and roll defender. Still a second round pick though.

“Yes, definitely,” Pons told a French reporter in a video posted on Twitter Saturday. “It’s possible for me to keep my college eligibility and come back, so that’s what I’m gonna do.”

College basketball players can go through the pre-draft process, gather feedback and still retain college eligibility given they either don’t hire an agent or hire an NCAA-certified agent.

Most recently, former Tennessee wing Admiral Schofield went through the draft process following the 2017-18 season before deciding to return to school.
Grant Ramey

giphy.gif

Smart move on his part. I fully expect him back next season but I guess there's always a chance depending on how he feels about coming back. IMO he really needs work with ball handling and creating a consistent shot. Wish him nothing but the best. Good kid!

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I believe he will come back. They'll give him solid feedback on what he should improve on and he can work on that. I can see him going to the NBA.

VN Store

Back