Pons declares for draft

Per VQ he is expected back, gathering info as all juniors should do...if he gets an unexpected grade that would change things, but right now he’s expected back.
Didn't Admiral Schofield do this after his junior year in 2018? But then he returned? I hope Yves comes back, this would be a blow if he doesn't. Thanks for the info.

He has made tremendous strides each year. I would love to see him come back for one more year. He is a small ball power forward who can guard positions 2-4 and has the ability to be a great pick and roll defender. Still a second round pick though.
Think he would be smart to come back for another year but don’t know what next draft looks like:

Pons did not sign with an agent so I think he will be back next season unless he gets a guarantee that he will be drafted somewhere in the first round.
Good player but just don’t see this guy a first round selection in next draft. Am a fan of his though.

The person who broke the news originally wrote the article like “he’s gone”. Everyone else kind of followed suit. After more digging was done, by better reporters, it has more of a “testing the waters” feel like Admiral did. It could turn into Grant Williams, if he gets a high enough grade though.
It doesn’t seem to be a Jordan Bone situation where he’s gone no matter what.

I've been saying since January that he needs to go pro.

1. He has arthritis.

2. He will not get as much playing time next season, and will definitely not be a top three option.

3. The draft, hypothetically, should be stronger after next season.

4. He is not going to grow three inches, which is his biggest hindrance.

He hit 44.6 percent of his uncontested jump shots this season. His shot release is not getting any quicker, his defensive awareness is not going to get any better and he will not be asked to take the ball off of the dribble any if he stays. Staying a year does nothing other than adding a year of wear and tear on his joints. He will go late second to undrafted, either way.

Reactions: Vols All Day
This is all a great testament to Barnes’ development of players. Even if Pons returns it’s apparent he’s being developed well which continues to help us get the type of future players we want.

I’d hate to lose Pons but look forward to seeing him in the league at some point.

Pons will be back. He is a NBA-caliber athlete (likely even a high-level NBA athlete) but has rudimentary skills. He was so much better as a junior than a sophomore and so much better as a sophomore than a freshman. He’ll come back and be part of a nasty Vols 2020-21 squad and be a second-rounder next year.

Pons will be back. He is a NBA-caliber athlete (likely even a high-level NBA athlete) but has rudimentary skills. He was so much better as a junior than a sophomore and so much better as a sophomore than a freshman. He’ll come back and be part of a nasty Vols 2020-21 squad and be a second-rounder next year.

What if he’s told he’s a Second rounder this year?

Why come back and lose a years salary and still be a second rounder ?

What if he’s told he’s a Second rounder this year?

Why come back and lose a years salary and still be a second rounder ?
If he’s a second-rounder now, that would surprise me. Even if he is, the goal needs to be sticking in the NBA and not just get a rookie deal or get relegated to the D-League and I think he runs a risk of not being prepared enough to give himself a chance to stick in the NBA. I think he needs another year with Barnes to get the skill set up to snuff enough for a NBA squad to take a flier on Pons as a developmental prospect. Of course, maybe the scouts know more than I but that’s my thinking.

Reactions: TC 83 and walkenvol

VN Store

Back