POLL: TO BENCH OR NOT TO BENCH JG - POST WEEK 2 (merged)

Bench JG vs UTC?

• Yes

Votes: 1,033 93.6%
  • No

Votes: 71 6.4%

• Total voters
One thing for me is certain, the game is in his head now. That Georgia State loss shattered what little confidence he might have had. He now hesitates too long, makes the "safe" decision, and just looks overall beat. The worse he plays, the further down the rabbit hole he goes. Maybe a couple of good plays against Chattanooga boosts his confidence some but at this point I truly feel Tennessee needs to invest in a sports psychologist for the kid.
Reminds me a lot of Crompdaddy.

Except he throws easy, safe balls completely without finesse.
My sentiments exactly! IMO, he knows he has a cannon but too often tries to rifle the ball inside after the receiver is open. He needs to work on putting some touch on his passes. The goal line throw to Jennings should have been more of an arch towards the corner of the end zone where only he could have caught it. There's more to being a QB than throwing fast balls.

I am for benching JG only if the coaches feel with high certainty that another QB can perform better.

My initial thought based on the evidence is that both Maurer and Shrout suffer from the same poor decision making when throwing down field.

The risk you run here is throwing BM out there against Florida, have him throw 4 picks, destroy his confidence for all future years he is at TN and also destroy JGs confidence the remainder of the year. There's also some deleterious affect of the teams overall confidence if they dont have a QB they trust.

It aint that easy in a situation when the coaches don't have a trusted backup plan like they did when they rented Chryst for one year as a safety net for JG in 2018. they are now totally naked at QB.

I believe Shrout is a natural born 3rd stringer and BM just is a babe in the woods. The coaches have certainly seen plenty of both players in practice and have decided pretty definitely that playing JG and playing an ultra safe offensive scheme is the way to go forward.

Read between the lines here: the coaches already know how this year is gonna go and I believe they knew it back in April. They are just riding it out til next season and letting players get experience for next year.

I'm not nor have ever been a JG fan but it seems if he would run more it may open up some passing lanes. As it is now he drops back the opponents fans cheer and TN fans say oh crap what's he going to screw up this time. If you are not going to replace him and his arm and brain aren't working to gets us wins, try his feet

I think that is the fastest way to improve our O-line play.

A mobile threat at QB is a godsend. That was Dobb's greatest gift to Butch. He could turn a busted play into positive yardage the majority of the time and seemed to play his best when 3rd and half the damn the field.

If you think our O-line play looked bad before, just wait till we are a one-dimension offense relying solely on the run against the Gators.

BTW, I thought JG was touted as a dual-threat QB coming out of HS but he certainly doesn't run like it. I am confusing him with another recruit (not Martinez?)

Reactions: AM64
I've been thinking the same thing. Dude took some vicious hits last season and kept getting up, even when I didn't think he possibly could. I've seen college and pro QBs over the years who were shell-shocked. When Matthew Stafford was at UGA he rarely got touched. When he got to Detroit the guy was relentlessly assaulted and battered every Sunday.

It has to get in their heads.

I agree. I'm not inclined to heap praise on UT players but I developed an admiration for JG's determination last season. He reminded me of Eric Zeier getting pounded by Joe Lee Dunn's defense and continuing to get up except JGs beating lasted all yr.

I also think JG is a one or two read QB. The PFF grade said he struggled down the middle, but a couple of his best throws were to Jennings between the hashes. I think he's simply slow thru his progressions and isn't trusting what he sees in a new O. He is waiting until he sees a guy break open and most of the time, that is too late.

Reactions: Volatility
JG takes his time getting rid of the ball-longer than other QBs, much longer. If he could snap and fire maybe one second earlier (coaching+natural ability), he wouldn't get hit as much. If the O line can give the QB 3 seconds, he should be able to take care of business. It's easy to down grade the O line for not giving JG more time, but when he gets more time, he still isn't taking care of business. We'll see how he fairs against SEC teams, if he is "shell shocked" now, he's going to be in trouble the SEC teams D lines comes calling.

Reactions: AM64 and Volatility
I am for benching JG only if the coaches feel with high certainty that another QB can perform better.

My initial thought based on the evidence is that both Maurer and Shrout suffer from the same poor decision making when throwing down field.

The risk you run here is throwing BM out there against Florida, have him throw 4 picks, destroy his confidence for all future years he is at TN and also destroy JGs confidence the remainder of the year. There's also some deleterious affect of the teams overall confidence if they dont have a QB they trust.

It aint that easy in a situation when the coaches don't have a trusted backup plan like they did when they rented Chryst for one year as a safety net for JG in 2018. they are now totally naked at QB.

I believe Shrout is a natural born 3rd stringer and BM just is a babe in the woods. The coaches have certainly seen plenty of both players in practice and have decided pretty definitely that playing JG and playing an ultra safe offensive scheme is the way to go forward.

Read between the lines here: the coaches already know how this year is gonna go and I believe they knew it back in April. They are just riding it out til next season and letting players get experience for next year.

I have two thoughts about a QB with no clear alternative situation.

1 You absolutely have to have a backup(s) because the first one can be injured at any time, and you better have a Plan B. It sounds like we don't have a solid Plan B, because that means somebody who has game experience.

2 Game play and practice play are different. That old coach speak "you play how you practice" is cringe worthy and apparently with many exceptions. You don't know how someone will respond to a situation until he is in the situation; therefore, you have to get the backups game experience with the first team to even decide who is better. You can't measure one variable when you change all the other variables at the same time.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Backs up what we all saw. He had a bad game. Late on several throws between the hashes.

The same scoring system had him ranked top 25 in the NCAA before the year and has consistently touted his performance.
The article said that he was our "least productive player" which is the same as saying he was our worst player. This is a team full of freshman. Do the math and quit deflecting. He seems to be a great person just not a very good QB. Wish him all the best. I will say that with all the negativity about him he must be mentally tuff. I would do my family and myself a favor and enter the transfer portal to find a program to which I was better suited

From Pro Football Focus (a service that analyzes college games for pro prospects, below is the start of their report on the UT offense vs. BYU):

Let’s start with Guarantano, who graded out as the team’s least productive offensive starter Saturday. Against BYU, Guarantano really struggled on throws between the numbers, going 9 of 18 for 113 yards with two touchdowns — both tipped passes — an interception and a dropped interception. On throws outside the hashes, Guarantano was 8 of 8 for 65 yards. He also had two "throw aways." The stats show the difficult dilemma for Jim Chaney, as Jauan Jennings has been fantastic so far this season but he does all his best work between the numbers where Guarantano is really struggling right now.

So I don't analyze film for fun in my spare time, and haven't to this point in time given any particular attention to the specifics of how JG throws, but per this report he is better at sideline passes than over the middle, which I find very interesting. I assume a lot of the "outside the hash" passes were of the behind the line variety, but certainly some were down the field.

Given that this is a specific defect of his, I would think/hope specific emphasis might be placed on throwing over the middle (especially to JJ) in practice and/or the game Saturday might help.

Thoughts?
Easier read. Sometono real read involved. What you don’t see is him anticipating throws out of the break. That’s on of the most effective passes there is for opening up a D and sustaining drives

Backs up what we all saw. He had a bad game. Late on several throws between the hashes.

The same scoring system had him ranked top 25 in the NCAA before the year and has consistently touted his performance.

At what point does losing override all the stats? Not gonna lie man, I'd rather his stats suck and be 2-0 right now.

I know, its not all his fault. I said what I wanted to. Carry on.

Just like Peyton vs Memphis with NC talent on the team?
Qbs have bad games vs bad teams sometime.

You would think all our old qbs completed 75% with an average of 350 and 3 TDS per game the way people talk.
No one should be comparing Jg to a hall of fame quarterback. Not fair to either one

From Pro Football Focus (a service that analyzes college games for pro prospects, below is the start of their report on the UT offense vs. BYU):

Let’s start with Guarantano, who graded out as the team’s least productive offensive starter Saturday. Against BYU, Guarantano really struggled on throws between the numbers, going 9 of 18 for 113 yards with two touchdowns — both tipped passes — an interception and a dropped interception. On throws outside the hashes, Guarantano was 8 of 8 for 65 yards. He also had two "throw aways." The stats show the difficult dilemma for Jim Chaney, as Jauan Jennings has been fantastic so far this season but he does all his best work between the numbers where Guarantano is really struggling right now.

So I don't analyze film for fun in my spare time, and haven't to this point in time given any particular attention to the specifics of how JG throws, but per this report he is better at sideline passes than over the middle, which I find very interesting. I assume a lot of the "outside the hash" passes were of the behind the line variety, but certainly some were down the field.

Given that this is a specific defect of his, I would think/hope specific emphasis might be placed on throwing over the middle (especially to JJ) in practice and/or the game Saturday might help.

Thoughts?

All he had to do was throw the ball to JJ who was wide open down the middle before the half and his evaluation would have been better.

I'm tired of all the hate I've been seeing concerning our QG. JG has all the tools to be a top level qb in the SEC, he's just not been able to develop due to the constant coaching and coordinator turnover, combined with an awful offensive line, poor coaching, and awful gameplanning. I believe if we just continue to give him time along with the rest of the team, he will become the QB he has the potential to be.

I'm tired of all the hate I've been seeing concerning our QG. JG has all the tools to be a top level qb in the SEC, he's just not been able to develop due to the constant coaching and coordinator turnover, combined with an awful offensive line, poor coaching, and awful gameplanning. I believe if we just continue to give him time along with the rest of the team, he will become the QB he has the potential to be.
I'm hopeful for him. He seems to have regressed as a Junior. The only thing I can associate that with is maybe "new" coaches. Not sure, but I hope he gets it figured out.

VN Store

Back