POLL: TO BENCH OR NOT TO BENCH JG - POST WEEK 2 (merged)

Bench JG vs UTC?

• Yes

Votes: 1,033 93.6%
  • No

Votes: 71 6.4%

• Total voters
JG reminds me of the golfer in the movie Seven Days in Utopia..
he knows how to play well but has lost something and needs to find it...
ne needs to see it trust it and throw it.....
it is like he is second guessing his throw before he lets it go...
GBO

From Pro Football Focus (a service that analyzes college games for pro prospects, below is the start of their report on the UT offense vs. BYU):

Let’s start with Guarantano, who graded out as the team’s least productive offensive starter Saturday. Against BYU, Guarantano really struggled on throws between the numbers, going 9 of 18 for 113 yards with two touchdowns — both tipped passes — an interception and a dropped interception. On throws outside the hashes, Guarantano was 8 of 8 for 65 yards. He also had two "throw aways." The stats show the difficult dilemma for Jim Chaney, as Jauan Jennings has been fantastic so far this season but he does all his best work between the numbers where Guarantano is really struggling right now.

So I don't analyze film for fun in my spare time, and haven't to this point in time given any particular attention to the specifics of how JG throws, but per this report he is better at sideline passes than over the middle, which I find very interesting. I assume a lot of the "outside the hash" passes were of the behind the line variety, but certainly some were down the field.

Given that this is a specific defect of his, I would think/hope specific emphasis might be placed on throwing over the middle (especially to JJ) in practice and/or the game Saturday might help.

Thoughts?

I feel sorry for any football player who has had a rough to poor career (especially a QB who's every move is magnified and paramount to team success) and needs to sit in favor of a younger less experienced player. That's where we are with JG.

It's obvious he is scared to throw across the middle of the field for fear of getting picked. But it makes it hard for receivers to get any YAC if they're pinned on the sidelines. I truly believe kid is playing for stats and not to win. He is trying to make safe plays and not the best play.

In other words, PLAYING NOT TO LOSE

One thing for me is certain, the game is in his head now. That Georgia State loss shattered what little confidence he might have had. He now hesitates too long, makes the "safe" decision, and just looks overall beat. The worse he plays, the further down the rabbit hole he goes. Maybe a couple of good plays against Chattanooga boosts his confidence some but at this point I truly feel Tennessee needs to invest in a sports psychologist for the kid.

No. Only if it's to help in his future like. It's too late for this kind of help to be benefit for this team this season. Move on and take our lumps with a new guy.

I'd be curious what the routes were on those passes outside the hashes. Were they comebacks and flats (I assume) or were they fly/corner, or even out routes? I'm no expert on QB play, but I suspect he's padding his stats with the "easier" routes. It's like he has the timing down on the comeback routes, but nothing else, in these first 2 games.

Yea "he has the timing down on comeback routes. The reason being he is accurately trying to lead the receiver, and the throw is late. Sorta like the guy on a target range who makes a "head shot" on the man shadow target and turns all smiles and brags to fellow shooters when he was aiming for a center mass hit.

Last edited:
So what round is he drafted in slick?

🙄 You remind me of d4h.....
Who said anything about draft buddy?

Facts are facts.

Those who want to use PFF as the gospel regarding this game need to also acknowledge their praise of him all the other times.

This summation fits into the "analysis paralysis" idea. Throws between the hashes are generally riskier; greater chance of getting tipped or a defensive player in the middle of the field reacting quickly and making a play.

Definitely feels like a mental issue for JG right now. He can make these passes; he's just over-analyzing everything.

I think what you are saying is a nice way to say "he does not have a very good football IQ".

If you watch the video, you see that he plays very poorly after getting hit multiple times. You put enough wood on JG and he wilts.

[VIDEO=] [/VIDEO]

that's pretty rough punishment, If Howard Cosell was alive he might be yelling "Down goes JG, Down goes JG". I heard a former NFL player say that Eli Manning may suffer from the gun-shy mentality from getting sacked and hit over the years so much it's reflected in his play

He has the physical tools to be a top level QB. It does sound like the pressure has gotten to him. Remember how Crompton got it turned around for the Georgia game and just destroyed them? Hopefully JG makes the same turnaround, especially as he’s not getting removed.
He will end up getting removed by someone on the other team if our coaches won't do it. It won't take much. Another one of those big backside hits where he gets folded up like a lawnchair, digging the grass out of his helmet. Maybe Florida, certainly Georgia or Alabama.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
No, he is poorly coached. Not a single RS-JR in the country plays this pathetically and keeps his job......unless he plays for Tennessee.

Maybe UT should hire a QB coach that won a Heisman as a QB. And then an OC that coached some great offense that also showcased great QBs. Surely that level of coaching would fix him right away.

agree that it is a "mental" thing...caused by the coaching staff...don't believe they're filling his "confidence" tank by the way they talk to/about him and the playcalling...consequently, he doesn't feel confident when he's playing in a "live" game...two cents...and,

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JG reminds me of the golfer in the movie Seven Days in Utopia..
he knows how to play well but has lost something and needs to find it...
ne needs to see it trust it and throw it.....
it is like he is second guessing his throw before he lets it go...
GBO

He never had it. Not in high school or college has JG thrown for many yards or touchdowns.

From Pro Football Focus (a service that analyzes college games for pro prospects, below is the start of their report on the UT offense vs. BYU):

Let’s start with Guarantano, who graded out as the team’s least productive offensive starter Saturday. Against BYU, Guarantano really struggled on throws between the numbers, going 9 of 18 for 113 yards with two touchdowns — both tipped passes — an interception and a dropped interception. On throws outside the hashes, Guarantano was 8 of 8 for 65 yards. He also had two "throw aways." The stats show the difficult dilemma for Jim Chaney, as Jauan Jennings has been fantastic so far this season but he does all his best work between the numbers where Guarantano is really struggling right now.

So I don't analyze film for fun in my spare time, and haven't to this point in time given any particular attention to the specifics of how JG throws, but per this report he is better at sideline passes than over the middle, which I find very interesting. I assume a lot of the "outside the hash" passes were of the behind the line variety, but certainly some were down the field.

Given that this is a specific defect of his, I would think/hope specific emphasis might be placed on throwing over the middle (especially to JJ) in practice and/or the game Saturday might help.

Thoughts?

Are the WRs getting separation? how many WRs has JG missed if they were wide open?..............just interested if anyone had noticed.

Backs up what we all saw. He had a bad game. Late on several throws between the hashes.

The same scoring system had him ranked top 25 in the NCAA before the year and has consistently touted his performance.
Not disagreeing with what you said....but GAST or BYU are not teams where your starting QB should have a "bad game".

Reactions: AM64
Not disagreeing with what you said....but GAST or BYU are not teams where your starting QB should have a "bad game".
Just like Peyton vs Memphis with NC talent on the team?
Qbs have bad games vs bad teams sometime.

You would think all our old qbs completed 75% with an average of 350 and 3 TDS per game the way people talk.

Just like Peyton vs Memphis with NC talent on the team?
Qbs have bad games vs bad teams sometime.

You would think all our old qbs completed 75% with an average of 350 and 3 TDS per game the way people talk.
Peyton never had consistently bad games....I understand being flat at times....but making the exact same mistakes every game he is either stubborn or just does not have the ability to get to the next level. I know QB's take a beating on the field at times and he probably is gun shy to some extent....if he thinks he is going to the NFL he has to shake that and in a hurry!

Another good stat on JG:

His offenses have scored more than 24 points vs FBS teams just 3 times in his 2+ years of starting. We are 1-2 in those games.

He’s the type of QB who can’t win a game and needs the defense to play above average constantly.

Not good.
pretty much agree. he's not going to be THE reason we win a game.

as for the outside the hash stuff...we saw it last year in the Auburn game. he does a good job of pushing it down field for jump ball/back shoulder. those are safe throws. you have the sideline as your friend, so you either complete it to your guy or it's o/b.

he does not do a good job of throwing with timing/anticipation..."throw to a spot".....and that has to do with how he sees the field......

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back