POLL: TO BENCH OR NOT TO BENCH JG - POST WEEK 2 (merged)

Bench JG vs UTC?

• Yes

Votes: 1,033 93.6%
  • No

Votes: 71 6.4%

• Total voters
One of the least mobile "dual threats" I can recall seeing.

I have had trouble understanding why Jones even recruited him after having the running ability facet with Dobbs.

Jones has a history of doing that with QBs though and getting them killed in his offense.

He is a truly Dual Threat ...

1. Interception
2. Incompletion

One thing for me is certain, the game is in his head now. That Georgia State loss shattered what little confidence he might have had. He now hesitates too long, makes the "safe" decision, and just looks overall beat. The worse he plays, the further down the rabbit hole he goes. Maybe a couple of good plays against Chattanooga boosts his confidence some but at this point I truly feel Tennessee needs to invest in a sports psychologist for the kid.
Ironic isn't it that the starting QB for the Vols has a degree in Psychology.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
Who said anything about draft buddy?

Facts are facts.

Those who want to use PFF as the gospel regarding this game need to also acknowledge their praise of him all the other times.
It was rhetorical question...... buddy.

As to your other point, my critique of JG’s game is based on my opinion alone. Personally I like JG, but if he’s the best QB on the team we’re in bad shape and it’s going to be a long season.

Reactions: tnvols72
Backs up what we all saw. He had a bad game. Late on several throws between the hashes.

The same scoring system had him ranked top 25 in the NCAA before the year and has consistently touted his performance.
Good thing scoring system is the gold standard. You are relentless in your adoration of JG.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Regarding the Peyton and Memphis posts, Peyton was NOT the reason we lost that game, I have never seen Peyton more upset with his teammates for their lackluster play than at that game, they weren't ready to play and didn't, the refs also gave Memphis the winning TD

Last edited:
I’m sorry folks, but we stay with JG, because he’ll get it right. Don’t let anyone tell you differently. I believe!👍👍

I wonder-So why are they not giving the backups a chance. We read in different Sports News outlets that the offensive staff liked some of the things the backups gave-I would think that Chaney would want someone like a Fromm, Eason or maybe a Breeze. I cant see were JG has that personality on the field of the previously mentioned QB's. They are true leaders on the field they run the show even under fire they run the show! Is that what you get out JG ? I really think you see what Chaney wants in a QB after this past summer and his efforts to sway Texas A & M Haynes Commit- Haynes King to UT. Follow his HUDL video you tube or what ever and you will seem the same field characteristics that probably make Coach Chaney a more comfortable OC ( he has attributes of previously mention students of Chaney). But what about Maurer and JT--bring them in see what they change-do they shock the system-spice it up. Or is there a fear that if one of them shows up and exceeds expectations on the field does that heighten the risk of losing the commitment from Harrison Bailey. Maurer is just Fr. maybe he gets on the field and maybe he never relinquishes the hold on that position-Harrison Bailey bails out on the commitment thinking Maurer he is just FR. it might be 2 or 3 years before I break into the starting lineup-maybe maybe not. Maybe the Coaching staff does want to risk that scenario.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
A QB can have a cannon for an arm; legs to move fast; but decision making is much, much more critical. JG has never shown an ability to make quick, correct decisions. He depends upon luck; not ability. Therefore, with him as QB, we will lose more than win.

I'd be curious what the routes were on those passes outside the hashes. Were they comebacks and flats (I assume) or were they fly/corner, or even out routes? I'm no expert on QB play, but I suspect he's padding his stats with the "easier" routes. It's like he has the timing down on the comeback routes, but nothing else, in these first 2 games.

From what I saw they were the "short of the first down marker" variety.....

I've heard thru radio chatter the experienced OC might have wanted to make a QB change but the inexperienced head coach will not let it happen. Simple question should any of this be true, Should the experienced OC not be allowed to decide on personnel for the offense vs an inexperienced HC that can't get his defense lined up correctly.

I've heard thru radio chatter the experienced OC might have wanted to make a QB change but the inexperienced head coach will not let it happen. Simple question should any of this be true, Should the experienced OC not be allowed to decide on personnel for the offense vs an inexperienced HC that can't get his defense lined up correctly.

Its one of the tough situations to be in as a first time head coach. Chaney recently had to deal with a true freshman coming in when the starter got hurt. Pruitt was on staff when Tua broke onto the national stage......

Its one of the situations you inherit when you become a head coach and aren't just a coordinator anymore.

Wouldn't bench him just yet, but..... I'd make sure both Maurer and Shrout got snaps this week and I wouldn't wait until the 4th quarter.

Reactions: MBVolFan
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. You want me to believe it was Chaney who got him to believe in himself? Kiffin could connect with the players and get them to play beyond their ability. He was also a good game plan guy. Unfortunately that’s where his upside ended.
So the primary coach that is w him more than any other by far isn’t responsible for develop ? But the Hc who is rarely w him is responsible? Is that right

The problem isn't the throws, it's the timing of the throws. He is taking to long to scan the field.

I guess this is a silver lining, but I think this has become much more apparent to us because the O line is seemingly playing better than last year. I still remember literally ever team we played getting pressure on almost every play. Now, JG has time and still can't make the throws even with all day to throw it.

Imo that’s whats been going on all along. Are we really to believe that Chaney of all people can’t even agree on 5 lineman? It reeks of Pruitts hands just as the QBs situation itself does. I’m not sure we’re being told the truth from him nor the media.
With every passing day it seems more and more that he’s protecting JG by not showing the talent behind him in order to preserve HB and others of the 2020 class.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I hear about him having all the physical tools. What are the physical tools he has that other QBs don't have? He's not big, not that strong of an arm, not fast or quick.
There is no difference in JG from previous years until this year. He has always thrown for a safe high percentage, low risk of turnover type throws. Throwing stats always have looked good. TDs and scoring has always been bad.
Trevor Lawrence was a pure freshman. Didn't start until the 3rd game of the season. Had 30 TDs and 4 Int. JG in his 2nd year starting had 12 TDs and 3 Int. Mond of aTm in his 2nd year had 24 TDs and 9 Int. Mond was also sacked 34 times and rushed for 474 yds.
Very few doubt Lawrence is a rare talent, but Mond is not considered great. He still out shines JG by a bunch.

Im not at all believer he can get it done! He has spent most of his career squashed into the ground on every play by opposing defenses to the point I think he has PTSD (post traumatic squashed disorder):confused:. Pruitt is saying he is still the starter, I'm just saying his leash should be short. I do agree, it's gonna be painful.

The problem is with a short leash, it hinders our offense. If you can't trust your QB, who has graduated freaking college, to go out there and lead or hell, even just make college level throws, why play him?

I just think it's insane at this point to play him. The season is probably screwed, we may only win 1 or 2 games, things look horrible optically. Why not build for the future?

I hear about him having all the physical tools. What are the physical tools he has that other QBs don't have? He's not big, not that strong of an arm, not fast or quick.
There is no difference in JG from previous years until this year. He has always thrown for a safe high percentage, low risk of turnover type throws. Throwing stats always have looked good. TDs and scoring has always been bad.
Trevor Lawrence was a pure freshman. Didn't start until the 3rd game of the season. Had 30 TDs and 4 Int. JG in his 2nd year starting had 12 TDs and 3 Int. Mond of aTm in his 2nd year had 24 TDs and 9 Int. Mond was also sacked 34 times and rushed for 474 yds.
Very few doubt Lawrence is a rare talent, but Mond is not considered great. He still out shines JG by a bunch.

I'd take ANY other QB in the SEC at this point probably. In fact, I'd take QBs from G5 teams. I don't care if they don't have as strong of an arm. If they can read a defense and lead a wide receiver, I'm in.

I'm not nor have ever been a JG fan but it seems if he would run more it may open up some passing lanes. As it is now he drops back the opponents fans cheer and TN fans say oh crap what's he going to screw up this time. If you are not going to replace him and his arm and brain aren't working to gets us wins, try his feet

They did; JG can't run either, but he slides well ... especially when there's nobody around.

VN Store

Back