POLL: TO BENCH OR NOT TO BENCH JG - POST WEEK 2 (merged)

Bench JG vs UTC?

• Yes

Votes: 1,033 93.6%
  • No

Votes: 71 6.4%

• Total voters
what makes a good passer mentally is where JG struggles.

concepts vs coverage......understanding the read. this is why he is late on throws. he is going thru progressions not mastering his concepts. so when they call a play vs a coverage, he either doesn't remember the concept or he remembers too late in an "oh snap, i forgot" fashion.

this is how freshmen qb's can light up the scoreboard. memorizing concepts. basically qb IQ

Lane Kiffin used concepts and Crompton mastered them. in and out of formations, using the same concepts. then crompton in practice saw them vs various defenses and it all opened up to him. JG has to do the same. its all on the teacher getting the student to memorize. to get the lesson. how the lesson is delivered may matter here or JG may not learn as fast as crompton did under kiffin. this is how offensive coaching changes have affected JG. they need to find a way to simplify it for him. maybe reduce the amount of concepts they're using.

Reactions: davethevol
From Pro Football Focus (a service that analyzes college games for pro prospects, below is the start of their report on the UT offense vs. BYU):

Let’s start with Guarantano, who graded out as the team’s least productive offensive starter Saturday. Against BYU, Guarantano really struggled on throws between the numbers, going 9 of 18 for 113 yards with two touchdowns — both tipped passes — an interception and a dropped interception. On throws outside the hashes, Guarantano was 8 of 8 for 65 yards. He also had two "throw aways." The stats show the difficult dilemma for Jim Chaney, as Jauan Jennings has been fantastic so far this season but he does all his best work between the numbers where Guarantano is really struggling right now.

So I don't analyze film for fun in my spare time, and haven't to this point in time given any particular attention to the specifics of how JG throws, but per this report he is better at sideline passes than over the middle, which I find very interesting. I assume a lot of the "outside the hash" passes were of the behind the line variety, but certainly some were down the field.

Given that this is a specific defect of his, I would think/hope specific emphasis might be placed on throwing over the middle (especially to JJ) in practice and/or the game Saturday might help.

Thoughts?
The interception negated by a PI was outside the hash. It was right at the sideline of the end zone.

This summation fits into the "analysis paralysis" idea. Throws between the hashes are generally riskier; greater chance of getting tipped or a defensive player in the middle of the field reacting quickly and making a play.

Definitely feels like a mental issue for JG right now. He can make these passes; he's just over-analyzing everything.

Lane Kiffin used concepts and Crompton mastered them. in and out of formations, using the same concepts. then crompton in practice saw them vs various defenses and it all opened up to him. JG has to do the same. its all on the teacher getting the student to memorize. to get the lesson. how the lesson is delivered may matter here or JG may not learn as fast as crompton did under kiffin. this is how offensive coaching changes have affected JG. they need to find a way to simplify it for him. maybe reduce the amount of concepts they're using.
Not at all. I spoke with Chaney personally about Cromp. He was a “yes coach” guy.
“Johnathan, do you like this play?”
Yes coach.

He said when Breeze had a play he didnt like he made it known and why. Also wasn’t afraid to point out where other players screwed up especially in the film room. It helped the OC call a game tailored to the QB.

This summation fits into the "analysis paralysis" idea. Throws between the hashes are generally riskier; greater chance of getting tipped or a defensive player in the middle of the field reacting quickly and making a play.

Definitely feels like a mental issue for JG right now. He can make these passes; he's just over-analyzing everything.
With the success running he should have been killing them on play action. DWA and Jennings ought to be open a lot in the middle. But, there were several plays where he just held the ball.

Reactions: lexkyvol
Not at all. I spoke with Chaney personally about Cromp. He was a “yes coach” guy.
Yes coach.

He said when Breeze had a play he didnt like he made it known and why. Also wasn’t afraid to point out where other players screwed up especially in the film room. It helped the OC call a game tailored to the QB.

i said nothing about whether he liked a play or not, but as to his understanding of concepts.

oh, and who tf is breeze? makes ur whole comment look very suspect.

With the success running he should have been killing them on play action. DWA and Jennings ought to be open a lot in the middle. But, there were several plays where he just held the ball.
and that tells you what? it tells you he's not remembering the concept vs coverage because he doesnt know where to go with the ball or he's late

Ok I’m throwing my two cents in on JG.
For what it’s worth.
I believe he is shell shocked. Last season he took multiple hits. Per game. Would love to know the number of times he was knocked down, not counting sacks.
Anyways, no one questions his toughness. He gets knocked down but he gets up again. Dude has got a heart and I truly believe he gives his all.
Unfortunately he has been knocked around so much, mentally he is looking to get hit. Even when no hit is coming. Lots of missed passes with a clean pocket protecting him shows this.
He is so used to get knocked down that his thought process is “man covered, dump it off”. 3 second read at most.
I think having him play early in the game Saturday, hopefully get a lead, then let the back up QBs play.
Maybe the game will slow down for him as his mind speeds up with, hate to say, mental reps.
I’ll hang up and listen to your comments.
He has every right to be shell shocked. I am surprised he is able to walk after a game.

Some of us got flamed over the last 2 years for saying he was not very good.
He is nowhere near being a dual threat QB. He looks slow as molasses when he tries to run and he has as no ability to extend plays.
Not knocking him and he is certainly as tough as nails, but unless a light comes on in his head or someone off the bench plays better, it's going to be a long season.
All things considered, I don't see UT winning more than 7 or 8 games next year if he is QB, and I think he the reason we didn't win more games last year.
I hope I am wrong.

Have any idea who was Kiffins OC and QB coach ?

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. You want me to believe it was Chaney who got him to believe in himself? Kiffin could connect with the players and get them to play beyond their ability. He was also a good game plan guy. Unfortunately that’s where his upside ended.

On the extreme occassion that JG runs the ball, he seems to pull up way too soon, as if any contact what so ever will break him in pieces.
Look back and see Casey Clausen, Heath Schuler, Josh Dobbs, Peyton Manning and many more of UT's, QB's run with the football, they don't look terrified with the ball in their hands like JG

i said nothing about whether he liked a play or not, but as to his understanding of concepts.

oh, and who tf is breeze? makes ur whole comment look very suspect.
Really? Because I misspelled Brees on the fly?
Go screw yourself.
I’ve had the pleasure of personally knowing Woody McCorvey, and have had one on one interaction with a number of UT coaches including Monte Kiffin, Chaney, Gillespie, and Bajakian.

JG suffers from PTSD from Florida game last year, comes and goes. Auburn and Kentucky games last year he showed no symptoms.

Go screw yourself.
I’ve had the pleasure of personally knowing Woody McCorvey, and have had one on one interaction with a number of UT coaches including Monte Kiffin, Chaney, Gillespie, and Bajakian.
cry me a river dude. and you thought name-tossing was gonna validate you......lmao.

sounds like you mad! mad people are usually those who are LYING!

And besides, when kiffin was here the announcers talked about crompton's success and how it was done via Lane himself. but we're supposed to believe some guy tossing names and cant spell Brees correctly? u trying to punk us huh Roustabout?

Go screw yourself.
u spelled bajakian correctly, yet flopped on brees. c'mon bruh!

Go screw yourself.
Anyone with more access than the norm is a liar on this board. Don’t take it personal.

We threw to outside the hashes all game long against South Carolina last year.
Probably the best game Helton called. And lost because JG took a sack on a hail Mary... unbelievable haha

But outside hashes both sides combined are only half the field.

He is a liability and coach killer.
Needs to focus on school and have his best life 👍👍👍.

Needs to QB the debate club. Just stay off the football field.

Last edited:

Yes coach.

This is interesting, Roust.

Explain for us: What does Brees' smarts/qb IQ intellect (and the possible fact that you spoke personally with Chaney, back then) have to do with your objection to vol's recommendation that JG needs things simplified.

(and I'd like to see if you can respond without a "Go screw yourself").

Reactions: lexkyvol

VN Store

Back