POLL: TO BENCH OR NOT TO BENCH JG - POST WEEK 2 (merged)

Bench JG vs UTC?

• Yes

Votes: 1,033 93.6%
  • No

Votes: 71 6.4%

• Total voters
Not meaning to be critical (Bless his heart) but he is just slow in progressing through his reads. Often when he throws to the correct receiver he is throwing to him late (or slightly off target) and giving the defense time to close. This may improve with time or it may not.

Ok I’m throwing my two cents in on JG.
For what it’s worth.
I believe he is shell shocked. Last season he took multiple hits. Per game. Would love to know the number of times he was knocked down, not counting sacks.
Anyways, no one questions his toughness. He gets knocked down but he gets up again. Dude has got a heart and I truly believe he gives his all.
Unfortunately he has been knocked around so much, mentally he is looking to get hit. Even when no hit is coming. Lots of missed passes with a clean pocket protecting him shows this.
He is so used to get knocked down that his thought process is “man covered, dump it off”. 3 second read at most.
I think having him play early in the game Saturday, hopefully get a lead, then let the back up QBs play.
Maybe the game will slow down for him as his mind speeds up with, hate to say, mental reps.
I’ll hang up and listen to your comments.
A big part of the reason he took so many hits is what some of you have just now started to see. He doesn't read D's well and takes too long to make decisions.

Your creative attempt to blame someone else not withstanding... this has been a problem with him the whole time he's been at UT.

Dormady had his own set of problems. But making what he thought was the right read then getting the ball out wasn't one of them. In the 5 games he started at UT, he was sacked 3-5 times. Behind the same OL and against similar competition JG was sacked over 30 times in 7 games.

If you watched or rewatch the BYU game, McElroy says "he's late" a half dozen times or more. If your 4th year QB still has to "think" that long to make a decision... if making a throw on time is still beyond him.... it is very likely he just isn't going to "get it". The game probably isn't going to slow down for him.

A big part of the reason he took so many hits is what some of you have just now started to see. He doesn't read D's well and takes too long to make decisions.

Your creative attempt to blame someone else not withstanding... this has been a problem with him the whole time he's been at UT.

Dormady had his own set of problems. But making what he thought was the right read then getting the ball out wasn't one of them. In the 5 games he started at UT, he was sacked 3-5 times. Behind the same OL and against similar competition JG was sacked over 30 times in 7 games.

If you watched or rewatch the BYU game, McElroy says "he's late" a half dozen times or more. If your 4th year QB still has to "think" that long to make a decision... if making a throw on time is still beyond him.... it is very likely he just isn't going to "get it". The game probably isn't going to slow down for him.

Agree on all points except the bolded- because the game is about to slow waaay down for him as he's holding a clipboard.

No. He just isn’t an SEC QB. That’s it. It’s not complicated.

I noticed many of the same pass routes they were practicing and jg was on target, of course this was with no defensive players. He just can't do in a real game what he does in practice. Don't know why our coaches can't see this.

I noticed many of the same pass routes they were practicing and jg was on target, of course this was with no defensive players. He just can't do in a real game what he does in practice. Don't know why our coaches can't see this.

It's more than just accuracy in games. He has missed a lot of open receivers because he can't get to his second read.

It's been like this his entire career. Happened a few times during the BYU game. Difference between winning and losing.

JG is honestly one of the worst QBs of the past 30 years to wear orange and white.

He's also not reading a coverage and making a decision between multiple options. He's accurate and has plenty of arm. The problem is decision making. He's too slow and often doesn't find the right receiver.

Two completely undermanned D's have effectively stopped UT's O by forcing the game to hinge on JG's decision making.

I don't "hate" him. I have no dog in this fight. My only desire is for UT to win. I am convinced they cannot win behind him. The only way they could is if the D held opponents under 14 ppg... and they're nowhere near that yet.

It's more than just accuracy in games. He has missed a lot of open receivers because he can't get to his second read.

It's been like this his entire career. Happened a few times during the BYU game. Difference between winning and losing.

JG is honestly one of the worst QBs of the past 30 years to wear orange and white.

You’ve got to think at some point he’d just go screw this I wanna start winning. Get to that first read and if it’s not there just improvise with his feet. Either run it or dance around until something opens up. At this point doing absolutely anything different would be an improvement. I mean can you imagine how explosive JJ or even MC or JP would be if they had a QB who just broke down the play and ran around until one of them was open? Oh crap, you’d have to be a dual threat QB to be able to do that. Sure JG was never one of those. No way...

Reactions: Big Al Orange
As I've posted before, you can see in his eyes that he has zero confidence, whether its in himself or the play called is hard to say. If I can see it on the camera, then the players around him can see it too. What effect do you think that has on the offense? I don't think this prob existed with Casey, Eric, JC, Josh..........

Reactions: Volatility
You’ve got to think at some point he’d just go screw this I wanna start winning. Get to that first read and if it’s not there just improvise with his feet. Either run it or dance around until something opens up. At this point doing absolutely anything different would be an improvement. I mean can you imagine how explosive JJ or even MC or JP would be if they had a QB who just broke down the play and ran around until one of them was open? Oh crap, you’d have to be a dual threat QB to be able to do that. Sure JG was never one of those. No way...

Lol. It takes JG 8 seconds to go through his first read. He doesn't have time to scramble.

No, he is poorly coached. Not a single RS-JR in the country plays this pathetically and keeps his job......unless he plays for Tennessee.

Yeah, Chaney has poorly coached JG just like he poorly coached Crompton during Crompton's last year!!! Yet, another excuse for JG and all his inadequacies like I have said a 100 times before this post, pathetic. He doesn't have IT, PERIOD!!! Let's hope one or both of the freshmen play vs UF and give us a chance to win!!!

Shell shocked might be an understatement. In my opinion he has to have a voice in his head screaming GET RID OF THE BALL after 1 sec. His first pass against Ga St showed me that. He throws close range touch passes at 95mph. The TD to JJ. Should have been picked except it was another fastball. He no longer reads defenses ( don’t know if he ever could) but now it’s like he makes up his mind where he is going and it 1st read is not there he checks down immediately. My fear is any DC will press our receivers and he just won’t hold the ball long enough to get it down field . When was the last deep ball he threw on a post or drag route. Everything is curls and outs with an occasional fade route . Everyone knows they don’t have to respect the middle. Cover us hash to hash and stop the run and we can’t score . Stretch runs work only so long , evidence of last weekend. At this point I just don’t understand why Pruitt won’t bench him and try someone else . It really couldn’t get much worse could it!!!

Reactions: Volatility
Yes, I think he’s she’ll shocked. It kind of reminds me of David Carr that got drafted by the Texans. Dude was sacked 76 times in 2002. He was never the same after that. It also doesn’t help JG that he’s a day late and a dollar short on most of his throws. The game still hasn’t slowed down for him and I don’t think it will.

From Pro Football Focus (a service that analyzes college games for pro prospects, below is the start of their report on the UT offense vs. BYU):

Let’s start with Guarantano, who graded out as the team’s least productive offensive starter Saturday. Against BYU, Guarantano really struggled on throws between the numbers, going 9 of 18 for 113 yards with two touchdowns — both tipped passes — an interception and a dropped interception. On throws outside the hashes, Guarantano was 8 of 8 for 65 yards. He also had two "throw aways." The stats show the difficult dilemma for Jim Chaney, as Jauan Jennings has been fantastic so far this season but he does all his best work between the numbers where Guarantano is really struggling right now.

So I don't analyze film for fun in my spare time, and haven't to this point in time given any particular attention to the specifics of how JG throws, but per this report he is better at sideline passes than over the middle, which I find very interesting. I assume a lot of the "outside the hash" passes were of the behind the line variety, but certainly some were down the field.

Given that this is a specific defect of his, I would think/hope specific emphasis might be placed on throwing over the middle (especially to JJ) in practice and/or the game Saturday might help.

Thoughts?

From Pro Football Focus (a service that analyzes college games for pro prospects, below is the start of their report on the UT offense vs. BYU):

Let’s start with Guarantano, who graded out as the team’s least productive offensive starter Saturday. Against BYU, Guarantano really struggled on throws between the numbers, going 9 of 18 for 113 yards with two touchdowns — both tipped passes — an interception and a dropped interception. On throws outside the hashes, Guarantano was 8 of 8 for 65 yards. He also had two "throw aways." The stats show the difficult dilemma for Jim Chaney, as Jauan Jennings has been fantastic so far this season but he does all his best work between the numbers where Guarantano is really struggling right now.

So I don't analyze film for fun in my spare time, and haven't to this point in time given any particular attention to the specifics of how JG throws, but per this report he is better at sideline passes than over the middle, which I find very interesting. I assume a lot of the "outside the hash" passes were of the behind the line variety, but certainly some were down the field.

Given that this is a specific defect of his, I would think/hope specific emphasis might be placed on throwing over the middle (especially to JJ) in practice and/or the game Saturday might help.

Thoughts?

We threw to outside the hashes all game long against South Carolina last year.
Probably the best game Helton called. And lost because JG took a sack on a hail Mary... unbelievable haha

But outside hashes both sides combined are only half the field.

He is a liability and coach killer.
Needs to focus on school and have his best life 👍👍👍.

Needs to QB the debate club. Just stay off the football field.

Backs up what we all saw. He had a bad game. Late on several throws between the hashes.

The same scoring system had him ranked top 25 in the NCAA before the year and has consistently touted his performance.

JG has so many shortcomings it is hard to imagine why he still has the job. They have been pointed out over and over. I guess the thing is the staff is not ready to throw the younger guys in for some reason. Pruitt has to know his butt is on the line. Hell the entire coaching staffs jobs are on the line and if you start at the top the entire bunch has to go. outside a couple players its a keystone cops drill every game. One would think that at least one coach would have his segment of the team making progress but I have not seen any. In fact the entire team is worse now than last season. How do you replace the entire coaching staff two games into the season???? realistically after UTC im not sure there is a win left on the schedule. My guess is Pruitt is fired after game 10 and the rest of the staff are sacked at the end of the season and the new HC helps hire the new staff for yet another reboot.

People saying he isn't are delusional. He absolutely is, it's clear as day.

VN Store

Back