Poll: Should Guarantano transfer?

Should Guarantano transfer?

• No. He should not transfer. He has earned our respect

Votes: 699 69.1%
  • Yes. He should transfer.

Votes: 323 31.9%

• Total voters
this poll is funny. You guys who want him here next year are the same ones who wanted Mariotta to remain the Titans starter. Imagine the possibilities if we had moved on from him last year and even if things were no better, we would have been more exciting for sure. I'm a born and bred Tennessean, but it has been a struggle to watch my Vols and Titans for the last few years. It's unbelievable to me that so many of you guys want to keep the status quo!?!?

Why wait for that when we have other QB's who have 2-3 years of eligibility and atleast 2 seasons for them to play behind the same line for the most part?
By the same logic, Burrow would have been benched this season after a fairly mediocre 2018. Again, if Bailey earns it in practice, or Hill earns it in practice, or whoever, by all means let them ride with it. I'm just not convinced that someone will come in and be able to take the job from him week 1.

By the same logic, Burrow would have been benched this season after a fairly mediocre 2018. Again, if Bailey earns it in practice, or Hill earns it in practice, or whoever, by all means let them ride with it. I'm just not convinced that someone will come in and be able to take the job from him week 1.
This isn't one season of mediocre play. It's a clear regression from his 1st 2 seasons of playing football as well as a red shirt season. Joe burrow had 1 season of starting before his senior year...

This isn't one season of mediocre play. It's a clear regression from his 1st 2 seasons of playing football as well as a red shirt season. Joe burrow had 1 season of starting before his senior year...
He posted a higher QBR in 2019 than any other season. He's no Joe Burrow (obviously), but I think he will play well going into year 2 with the same offensive coordinator for the first time in his career.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
He posted a higher QBR in 2019 than any other season. He's no Joe Burrow (obviously), but I think he will play well going into year 2 with the same offensive coordinator for the first time in his career.
And this is where the Old rating of quarterback is flawed. It doesn't take into account level of competition. If you look at his adjusted quarterback rating you'll see that it's dropped because he didn't play well against anybody who mattered. He crapped the bed versus Florida crapped the bed versus Alabama and barely touched the Field against Georgia. So the fact that his old school quarterback rating only went up 3 points against the likes of UTC Georgia state Vanderbilt Indiana Kentucky South Carolina Missouri. Should tell you all you need to know about his development as a quarterback

That makes zero sense. LSU went 9-4 last year with him as the starter and he showed signs of good play vs tough teams.

And that was Burrow's first season of playing. Not his 3rd season to play in and still make freshman mistakes. Burrow also had the same core on offense to play two years with and clearly improved. We will be replacing 3 of our 4 top receiving targets next year.....

Considering we will have a massive line in 2020/2021, lets play the QB that has at minimum the most time with them aka a QB that has a multiple years of playing time left and can grow with the same group of guys. JG doesn't fit in that category.

Reactions: cgrish
That makes zero sense. LSU went 9-4 last year with him as the starter and he showed signs of good play vs tough teams.

And that was Burrow's first season of playing. Not his 3rd season to play in and still make freshman mistakes. Burrow also had the same core on offense to play two years with and clearly improved. We will be replacing 3 of our 4 top receiving targets next year.....

Considering we will have a massive line in 2020/2021, lets play the QB that has at minimum the most time with them aka a QB that has a multiple years of playing time left and can grow with the same group of guys. JG doesn't fit in that category.

Tennessee went 8-5 with Guarantano receiving the majority of the snaps with less talent than LSU had. Both QB's were in their first year in their offensive systems. Both QB's were in their RS Jr season. Both QB's had 16 TDs around 60% completion percentage. (Burrow's was worse.) JG isn't Joe Burrow. He won't be as good as Joe Burrow. But to count him out this early is premature. He could take a large step next season,or he could play similar to what we have seen the past three years.

I think we can agree on this: If he doesn't play better next year, then we need to go a different route.

Tennessee went 8-5 with Guarantano receiving the majority of the snaps with less talent than LSU had. Both QB's were in their first year in their offensive systems. Both QB's were in their RS Jr season. Both QB's had 16 TDs around 60% completion percentage. (Burrow's was worse.) JG isn't Joe Burrow. He won't be as good as Joe Burrow. But to count him out this early is premature. He could take a large step next season,or he could play similar to what we have seen the past three years.

I think we can agree on this: If he doesn't play better next year, then we need to go a different route.
You cannot be serious. How many games did burrow start prior to 2018????

How many for JG?

Can u see a difference??

You cannot be serious. How many games did burrow start prior to 2018????

How many for JG?

Can u see a difference??
You're argument is that the number of games a player starts in should directly correlate to an improvement on the field. I am saying that there may be other factors that lead to a player's improvement, system familiarity being one of those. I understand your argument for it's merits and can do so without trying to diminish your argument. I am here to have a friendly discourse about UT football. I am of the opinion that JG could progress heading into his final season. I don't feel like that is as preposterous as you are making it out to be.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
You're argument is that the number of games a player starts in should directly correlate to an improvement on the field. I am saying that there may be other factors that lead to a player's improvement, system familiarity being one of those. I understand your argument for it's merits and can do so without trying to diminish your argument. I am here to have a friendly discourse about UT football. I am of the opinion that JG could progress heading into his final season. I don't feel like that is as preposterous as you are making it out to be.
By your logic he should have improved as the season went on. But he didnt...i guess i just don't see what you do....

JG was starting in his 3rd season of play with multiple seasons with mostly the same years. Burrow was in his first year of starting and significant playing time....

You’re reaching big time to try to compare them.

JG was starting in his 3rd season of play with multiple seasons with mostly the same years. Burrow was in his first year of starting and significant playing time....

You’re reaching big time to try to compare them.
Both same amount of time in offense and with o coordinator. Numbers very close in RS Jr year. Also Burrow was a 23 year old his RS JR year.

It's sad the lengths you are going to try and act like it isn't the same situation. It is.

JG and Burrrow had pretty much the exact same RS JR year. The difference is Burrow had much more talent around him and was a couple years older.

Both same amount of time in offense and with o coordinator. Numbers very close in RS Jr year. Also Burrow was a 23 year old his RS JR year.

It's sad the lengths you are going to try and act like it isn't the same situation. It is.

JG and Burrrow had pretty much the exact same RS JR year. The difference is Burrow had much more talent around him and was a couple years older.

Burrow had his first serious playing time ever in his career on 2018. You’re comparing JG’s 3rd year of serious playing time/starting to that like its some sort of excuse or reasoning that JG will make some leap like Burrow has. Except they are nothing alike. Burrow made the jump from year 1-2 with the same group of guys surrounding him.

Somehow that is the same exact situation where JG is gonna make the jump from year 3-4 while replacing 3 of his top 4 receiving targets???

I see folks done started boozing hard early to start the weekend.

A 4 to 1 td ratio and 2700 yards against 8 ranked teams is a far cry from a 2 to 1 ratio while suckkng vs 3 ranked teams...i know your JGs athletic supporter but your a joke

Going into his 4th year and people are still trying to argue a dude is good at a position and desperately reaching for any possible connection to an actual good player to shore up their defense....pretty much all you need to know that he isn't.

And lets not forget he has lost all of his jump ball catcher guys...so this "turnaround" a lot of yall are clamoring over might not be the turnaround you expect..

And the Joe Burrow comparisons..just stop. Burrow threw 157 TD's and 17 INTs in 3 years of high school ball. JG threw 23 with 16 INTs in 4 years...in Jersey..... Its like comparing a Ferrari to a Fiero.

Last edited:
Moot point. Perhaps a more realistic poll would be should Maurer transfer? Honestly, I'll be shocked if both Shrout and Maurer don't move on leaving us with JG, Hill and Bailey.

Going into his 4th year and people are still trying to argue a dude is good at a position and desperately reaching for any possible connection to an actual good player to shore up their defense....pretty much all you need to know that he isn't.

And lets not forget he has lost all of his jump ball catcher guys...so this "turnaround" a lot of yall are clamoring over might not be the turnaround you expect..

And the Joe Burrow comparisons..just stop. Burrow threw 157 TD's and 17 INTs in 3 years of high school ball. JG threw 23 with 16 INTs in 4 years...in Jersey..... Its like comparing a Ferrari to a Fiero.

I don't think anyone is saying he's been "good" to this point in his career. Maddening is a more accurate descriptor. It's more a case of hoping the light comes on for him like Burrow. It's also a realization, that we're going to go into spring ball with JG fully entrenched as the starting QB at UT for next season. Barring something totally unexpected like and injury or the explosion of Hill or Bailey into a starting role, we'll trot JG out there for the first game and hope for the best. Long winded way of saying we know what's coming and we're grasping at straws of hope here. Gotta get behind whomever the staff decides to roll with.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLVOL_79
this poll is funny. You guys who want him here next year are the same ones who wanted Mariotta to remain the Titans starter. Imagine the possibilities if we had moved on from him last year and even if things were no better, we would have been more exciting for sure. I'm a born and bred Tennessean, but it has been a struggle to watch my Vols and Titans for the last few years. It's unbelievable to me that so many of you guys want to keep the status quo!?!?

heard something similar to this before Coach Fulmer was fired...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

I don't think anyone is saying he's been "good" to this point in his career. Maddening is a more accurate descriptor. It's more a case of hoping the light comes on for him like Burrow. It's also a realization, that we're going to go into spring ball with JG fully entrenched as the starting QB at UT for next season. Barring something totally unexpected like and injury or the explosion of Hill or Bailey into a starting roll, we'll trot JG out there for the first game and hope for the best. Long winded way of saying we know what's coming and we're grasping at straws of hope here. Gotta get behind whomever the staff decides to roll with.
I think the lights on and it's as bright as it gets. Burrow had some past qb history that was elite, JG never did. Can JG improve? Sure. Is he going to throw more than 20TD next year? Doubtful.

I think the lights on and it's as bright as it gets. Burrow had some past qb history that was elite, JG never did. Can JG improve? Sure. Is he going to throw more than 20TD next year? Doubtful.

If I were a betting man, I'd say you're absolutely right. Still, it is what it is. Someone has to take the job from this guy. With Maurer hinting around on social media, I have serious doubts anyone on the roster will be capable of doing that this year. We fans are gonna have to swallow hard and accept another year with JG. For better or worse, we have little/no choice.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
If I were a betting man, I'd say you're absolutely right. Still, it is what it is. Someone has to take the job from this guy. With Maurer hinting around on social media, I have serious doubts anyone on the roster will be capable of doing that this year. We fans are gonna have to swallow hard and accept another year with JG. For better or worse, we have little/no choice.
I think the phrase is.."it is what it is".

VN Store

Back