Poll: Should Guarantano transfer?

Should Guarantano transfer?

• No. He should not transfer. He has earned our respect

Votes: 699 69.1%
  • Yes. He should transfer.

Votes: 323 31.9%

• Total voters
Anyone that takes a beating for this program both physically and mentally has my respect. Not saying that he’s a great QB but he’s a tough kid.

Why the hell would he transfer? He has as good a chance to start here as he would at any other major program in the country. I’m hoping someone else wins the job but thus far no one has stepped up and really seized the job. Bailey is the great hope but he’s a freshman.

Yep... That's what makes him maddening. He's an average QB... but not like Rick Clausen/Justin Worley/limited ability type average. He's a plus talent who sometimes makes NFL throws and other times holds the ball or misses easy throws.
We should take the Fing screen pass out of the playbook before someone gets killed if he’s the starter.

• No. He should not transfer. He has earned our respect
    Votes: 618 71.2%

• Yes. He should transfer.
    Votes: 260 30.0%

• Total voters 868
We have 101.2% votes. Something is not right here. And this is not even algebra I.
The maroon made it so you could vote yes AND no. So, that's what I did.

Never said it wasn’t his fault. But what’s the score if we actually score a TD there?
28-20, we have a chance to stop and try to tie it up. Idk what your point is, it was a pivotal moment and even though we still probably wouldn’t have won, there was a chance. JG made sure we didn’t have one.

I'm sure earning your respect is why he plays the game...
It really doesn’t matter if he has my respect. If he has the respect of the team then that’s all that really matters. I’m just a guy on the internet and I’m sure he has no interest in reading the stuff we put out there. Like I said, it’s nothing personal against JG. I feel like he’s a great person to represent UT because he genuinely seems like a good dude and really cares but he’s the one holding this team back. If he makes better decisions we’re a better football team. If he makes bad decisions then it puts us in a bind (ie Alabama and Indiana). I can respect the guy as a person, but not as a football player. Simple as that. There are good players and there are scrubs. And right now JG plays like a scrub. It doesn’t seem like it’s that hard of a concept to understand.

You're argument is that the number of games a player starts in should directly correlate to an improvement on the field. I am saying that there may be other factors that lead to a player's improvement, system familiarity being one of those. I understand your argument for it's merits and can do so without trying to diminish your argument. I am here to have a friendly discourse about UT football. I am of the opinion that JG could progress heading into his final season. I don't feel like that is as preposterous as you are making it out to be.

I want whoever gives us the best chance to win, whoever it is. I am just at a loss to what our coaching staff is thinking on the qb issue. We have on scholarship this coming season, Jg, shrout, maurer, bailey, and holiday, and probably hill not sure about his scholarship status, but anyway that is 6 qb. It just appears they are not confident of jg ability to turn the corner. That is a lot of qb on a roster. I know they could possibly use one or more of them at other positions if some of them were able to do this successfully. So I will just trust the coaching staff to do what is best, after its their jobs that is at stake probalby as to how we do this coming year. Do we improve, regress or what? I feel we have a good coaching staff, just puzzled as to how qb play has been up to this point.

It really doesn’t matter if he has my respect. If he has the respect of the team then that’s all that really matters. I’m just a guy on the internet and I’m sure he has no interest in reading the stuff we put out there. Like I said, it’s nothing personal against JG. I feel like he’s a great person to represent UT because he genuinely seems like a good dude and really cares but he’s the one holding this team back. If he makes better decisions we’re a better football team. If he makes bad decisions then it puts us in a bind (ie Alabama and Indiana). I can respect the guy as a person, but not as a football player. Simple as that. There are good players and there are scrubs. And right now JG plays like a scrub. It doesn’t seem like it’s that hard of a concept to understand.

It does appear from statements that have been made by jg he is planning on being the starter this year He said he has unfinished business at ut. Has he been told he was going to be the starter?? Does he think he will beat out the competition?? I honestly feel like jg will start because apparently he excels in practice when there is no pressure on the qb, but doesn't bring to the game what he does in practice. We will just have to wait and see.

Because most of VN hates JG and puts the vast majority of the blame for us losing on him.

I don't hate jg. I think he is good guy, just not a good qb. If he is our best, we have problems on evaluating talent at qb, because we have 5 qb on the roster that this coaching staff recruited. Jg is a good game manager, and that is what some coaches want. With that said; I will pull for any qb our coaching staff puts on the field.

Reactions: Raebo and Chippo
He posted a higher QBR in 2019 than any other season. He's no Joe Burrow (obviously), but I think he will play well going into year 2 with the same offensive coordinator for the first time in his career.
I just want him to not lock in to only one receiver and to eliminate the half second telegraph hesitation he has before he throws it

His options are limited. If he transfers, he still has to learn a different system. His best chance for success is with UT. I just hope Bailey or Maurer take the starting job in the spring and Guarantano can be the insurance policy. He can win 8-9 games but that is his ceiling. If Bailey can’t win the job as a true freshman, perhaps he can redshirt and be the qb of the future.

Not exactly sure how to take "Hasn't earned my respect"? His results may be mixed, but what's he ever done other than play hard?
Good point. No reason not to respect JG the
man. Don't know him but never heard any
negative feedback about his character off
the football field.

Reactions: Raebo
Because most of VN hates JG and puts the vast majority of the blame for us losing on him.

No they don't. Only a small minority "hates" him. The majority of us have seen enough of his play to know that he has very little room to improve the systemic mental issues he has with his QB decision-making, and that the coaches can't do any more to scheme around his mediocre-to-bad play.

It's just yourself and a few others who can't get past the idea of any other QB taking over while JG is on the roster.

1) Let him and Harrison Bailey battle it out for the starting job. If he loses, he should transfer.
So the guy who actually took his job before getting injured shouldn't be in the battle? Or the guy who clearly has the best arm on the team? Only a Fr who while looking like a good prospect may or may not be ready or as good as advertised?

2) One of Maurer/Shrout need to transfer too.
Or Bailey? I don't have anything against HB but the hype is a little ridiculous. He's now a Vol. Let's let him him earn it like everyone else before declaring him the future.

3) Put in some plays for Jimmy Holiday/Kasim Hill.
Not sure what they'll do with Holiday. Maybe create a package for him to go with a switch to slot?

Maurer is faster than Hill since his knee injuries if not before. I'm honestly not sure at this point why they offered Hill. If you want a dual threat that can pass it then put 20 lbs on Maurer.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
So the guy who actually took his job before getting injured shouldn't be in the battle? Or the guy who clearly has the best arm on the team? Only a Fr who while looking like a good prospect may or may not be ready or as good as advertised?

Or Bailey? I don't have anything against HB but the hype is a little ridiculous. He's now a Vol. Let's let him him earn it like everyone else before declaring him the future.

Not sure what they'll do with Holiday. Maybe create a package for him to go with a switch to slot?

Maurer is faster than Hill since his knee injuries if not before. I'm honestly not sure at this point why they offered Hill. If you want a dual threat that can pass it then put 20 lbs on Maurer.

I mean if someone like Maurer was able to take JG's job midseason, why is it "ridiculous hype" to suggest that Bailey, who was a lot lot lot better recruit than Maurer, could walk in and take the job. If JG let a 3 star (Maurer) take his job midseason, imagine what Bailey ( a defacto 5 star) could do.......

Who "hates" him? Even most who are critical respect his toughness and have complimented some things.

His share of the losses is large. He is simply too slow making decisions and doesn't anticipate throws. He's tough. He works hard. He's learned to manage the O well. He has a nice arm and throws a beautiful ball.

But being late/slow is a fatal weakness. Witness the first two drives vs IU. That game should have been over by half but it was specifically JG's play that made it a game.

There were plenty of problems on the team. The D took a few games to find its legs. The OL is still developing as a run blocking unit. But no one on the team played as far below the level you should be able to expect them to play as JG. He's a RS Jr. If he were going to overcome being late... slow in reads... failing to anticipate throws... holding the ball too long... it should have happened by now. It shouldn't be a recurring issue like it is.

There comes a time when you just call it sunk costs and move on. IMO, that's where UT is.

I mean if someone like Maurer was able to take JG's job midseason, why is it "ridiculous hype" to suggest that Bailey, who was a lot lot lot better recruit than Maurer, could walk in and take the job.
Because he hasn't proven the first thing about his ability to do it. Playing HSFB even at the highest levels is well below the level of competition he'll face. He also had an "easy button" in Gilbert. Get in trouble... just throw it in his direction and let him take it away from a 5'8" DB.

He was a more highly regarded recruit than Maurer. He played on a vastly superior HS team. IIRC, they finished fairly similar in their Elite 11 camps.

I'm not coronating Maurer. But it IS ridiculous to leave him or even Shrout out of the conversation at this point.

If JG let a 3 star (Maurer) take his job midseason, imagine what Bailey ( a defacto 5 star) could do.......
Right. Because the recruiting sites are ALWAYS right about their ratings, right?

I hope HB walks on water but he's not a "de facto" 5*. He wasn't a hidden gem playing in some obscure corner of the country. He was a guy playing on a loaded Metro ATL powerhouse. If the recruiting sites didn't give him 5*... they don't believe he's better than the guys they gave 5* to.

Shouldn’t be a mystery. Landing a former starter AS A WALK ON is never not a good thing. In essence not costing you a spot in a 25 and at worst gaining an experienced backup.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Shouldn’t be a mystery. Landing a former starter AS A WALK ON is never not a good thing. In essence not costing you a spot in a 25 and at worst gaining an experienced backup.
His knees concern me when couple with his spotty passing.

If he's the guy... I'll be as pleased as anyone. My desire is something better than what we've seen from JG.

If he's the guy... I'll be as pleased as anyone. My desire is something better than what we've seen from JG.
Cost basically NOTHING. If it doesn’t work, it was a wash. No time was wasted.

Because he hasn't proven the first thing about his ability to do it. Playing HSFB even at the highest levels is well below the level of competition he'll face. He also had an "easy button" in Gilbert. Get in trouble... just throw it in his direction and let him take it away from a 5'8" DB.

He was a more highly regarded recruit than Maurer. He played on a vastly superior HS team. IIRC, they finished fairly similar in their Elite 11 camps.

I'm not coronating Maurer. But it IS ridiculous to leave him or even Shrout out of the conversation at this point.

Right. Because the recruiting sites are ALWAYS right about their ratings, right?

I hope HB walks on water but he's not a "de facto" 5*. He wasn't a hidden gem playing in some obscure corner of the country. He was a guy playing on a loaded Metro ATL powerhouse. If the recruiting sites didn't give him 5*... they don't believe he's better than the guys they gave 5* to.

Wow. Its amazing that people are starting to throw shade at Bailey......

In two sentences you have contradicted yourself..... "He hasn't proven his ability to do it" meaning no one knows. "He had an 'easy button' in Gilbert"...... So if he hasn't proven or shown what he can do, how do you know he is just an average QB because of an outlet receiver??????

You can't say his supporting cast made him overrated in one breath and then claim something else.... Have you seen him play with our roster? No.... You can't make claims until you do.

Can't believe the pot shots already on the kid.... LMAO only in Vol Nation.

Sure that is one convo to have about making sure no one gets left out of the discussion. But the premise that JG lost his job to a 3 star means that somehow a highly touted QB (Bailey) can't do the same with better results is amazing to me......

But only on the Vol Streets does this stuff happen.

Oh I completely understand, just get tired of some people, (not necessarily you) who probably have never played, and talk about guys who play there butts off earning their respect. I don't think JG is a real good qb, but without him they are not on a 6 game winning streak.

He also had an "easy button" in Gilbert. Get in trouble... just throw it in his direction and let him take it away from a 5'8" DB.

Total BS. HB threw all over the field and it wasn't like most were 50-50 balls that Gilbert took away from someone. Gilbert's main accomplishments were after he got the ball. It was man against boys then but Gilbert also dropped a ton of balls this year that were on the money. The statement you made is utter nonsense.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

Hill is a better passer and more highly rated than BM. That is why they offered him. BM is a project.

They just needed more developed options than Maurer and Shrout available to them.

Now we have Bailey, JG, and Hill.

Total BS. HB threw all over the field and it wasn't like most were 50-50 balls that Gilbert took away from someone.
You lost your argument when you created this straw man. I didn't say most of his throws were 50-50. I said he had an "easy button"... and that's simply a fact from watching the championship game and then the one in Nevada.

Gilbert's main accomplishments were after he got the ball. It was man against boys then but Gilbert also dropped a ton of balls this year that were on the money. The statement you made is utter nonsense.
No it isn't. He played on a team that was vastly more talented than most of their competition.

I didn't even say he's not a great prospect or future star. I only stated the undeniable fact that he has not done anything yet that proves he is ready to be UT's starter... and certainly not to the exclusion of a couple of talented QB's already on the roster.

VN Store

Back