Poll: Happy with Heupel?

• Yes

Votes: 1,057 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 741 41.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is AD White’s golden answer? To go cherry pick his previous employers HC. That’s such an impressive move for what was deemed a “grand slam” hire as AD. If this is true, we are fools as a fan base to think we have a serious program or administration. What a joke.

Reactions: jes
Oh just wait, if it's Heupel then we'll have the usual cast of characters starting threads telling us how we found a diamond in the rough, he's the "right man for the job", BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

. And we will similarly have the know it all’s telling us the new coach is terrible and we could have had so many better hires. BLAH BLAH BLAH

No one wanted the Job. Get a grip man, this was a great hire for our situation

4 mil per year

If no one wanted the job, then go with an interim in Steele. How many times do we have to make the mistake of hiring a guy when "no one wanted the job". JFC this exact same line has been used for 11 years.

And if 11 years later "no one" wants the job.....then let's stop acting like this is such a great job then.

Reactions: plaincityvol
I wish there was a category of "It is what it is."

I'm not happy. I'm not upset.

Plus side...

1. Experience in rebuilding situations. There was decent improvement while he was there with Coach Odom at Missouri.
2. Got past his dismissal as an assistant at Oklahoma and evolved into a better coach and coordinator. Something to be said for someone who has faced a challenge to his abilities and emerged the better for it.
3. Real skill developing offenses and offensive talent. We haven't had that in some time now.
4. Crazy enough to take this job. To be certain, there were others right there as well. And I wonder why we didn't talk to at least one of them in particular over in Conway, South Carolina.

Minus side...

1. Decline in record at UCF, while not entirely fair, leads to the perception that he is another Coker, Archer, or Battle type who got the benefit of a loaded roster and slowly put things into decline.
2. Recruiting ability is a concern. This can be mitigated with quality recruiters on the staff.
3. It is not the kind of hire that pulls us away from the general fatalism surrounding the future of Tennessee football. That translates negatively in terms of revenue generation.

I don't know what Kevin Steele wants to do. The extremely fast-paced orientation of Heupel's offense may not be something he wants to deal with at this moment. If that is the case. then Heupel should consider hiring the likes of Gillespie at Tulsa or Newberry at Navy for defensive coordinator. Both are extremely capable at getting more out of less and are strong tactical coordinators with regard to how football is played in the modern era.

If no one wanted the job, then go with an interim in Steele. How many times do we have to make the mistake of hiring a guy when "no one wanted the job". JFC this exact same line has been used for 11 years.

And if 11 years later "no one" wants the job.....then let's stop acting like this is such a great job then.
I'm excited about his offense scheme. TBH

Well, at least he ain't one of the candidates I really would have hated.
But maybe White sees him as just a placeholder till after the sanctions are over and we can hire a real firebrand.

He’s gotten worse every year and UCF fans are begging us to take him
You mean he took over a team that was undefeated, goes 12-1 in year one, 10-3 in year two. Last year he 6-4, which was double our wins.
If he wins 2 games next year, you may something. If he wins 4+ it was better than this year.

I think they wanted an offensive minded coach especially with a defensive coordinator already here. Is it what everyone wanted in a power 5 head coach, NO but none of them would touch this place unless it was on the visitors sideline. It is time to face a little reality that this job is not in the top 20 if 25 in the country, and with a couple years of looming sanctions it makes it even harder. What needs to happen at this point is the 'Nation pull together, put our big boy/girl pants on and get behind this program until we get back there....AND WE WILL GET BACK THERE!

Reactions: Bennessee01

How in the world do you recruit with an interim coach? Be realistic here.

Reactions: Border Vol
Of course not. But the good news is the threat of NCAA sanctions just became laughably non-threatening. Have fun suspending us for the bowl games we weren't going to qualify for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back