Pls Explain Tourney Schedule

The whole tourney needs to be single elimination or double, this format is terrible
All they have to do is trim it down to 10 teams instead of 12. Make 7-10 play-in on Tuesday. After that, the 8 remaining teams will be completely double elimination starting on Wednesday.

Reactions: savannahfan and MAD
All they have to do is trim it down to 10 teams instead of 12. Make 7-10 play-in on Tuesday. After that, the 8 remaining teams will be completely double elimination starting on Wednesday.
Well to be fair weather was really bad this yr but ya I get it but remember your adding Oklahoma and texas to this in the future

Well to be fair weather was really bad this yr but ya I get it but remember your adding Oklahoma and texas to this in the future
I will be fine with a 12 team tournament whenever they finally join. They were doing an 8-team tournament with 12 teams in the conference for years. The bottom 4 teams in the conference shouldn’t make the tournament.

Reactions: volz2wallz
So if I have this right…

If Tennessee beats LSU:

LSU plays Kentucky in an elimination game. Winner plays Tennessee

Florida plays Alabama in an elimination game.
Winner plays aTm

Everything is single elimination after tonight…Correct?

The SEC can barely get the good teams to try in the current format; force them to play double elimination to win a rather meaningless title and see what happens. A winner could play 6 games

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The SEC can barely get the good teams to try in the current format; force them to play double elimination to win a rather meaningless title and see what happens. A winner could play 6 games

That's a good point, so they should make it single elimination then, IMHO. We could play for the championship today, at a reasonable time. Loser's bracket for third.

Tournament isn't meaningless to Kentucky, who has everything to play for, but is to us, as we have nothing to gain, other than a title we have already won.

That's a good point, so they should make it single elimination then, IMHO. We could play for the championship today, at a reasonable time. Loser's bracket for third.

Tournament isn't meaningless to Kentucky, who has everything to play for, but is to us, as we have nothing to gain, other than a title we have already won.
It’s funny how differently the conference tournaments in basketball are viewed vs baseball.

If we win tonight (Fri), what TIME do we play tomorrow (Sat)?
If we lose tonight (Fri), what TIME do we play tomorrow (Sat)?

This is why is say "go home" in former threads... Going to a "sudden death" format is a crap shoot. It is an old cliché, but anyone can beat anyone on any given day. (seems we had a game like this earlier this season).

It's simply lose today and go home. 2 teams have already advanced to the late games already. The first 2 games today determine who will be their opponents in those 2 late games. The winners of the 2 late games tonight play tomorrow in a single, winner take all championship.

The whole tourney needs to be single elimination or double, this format is terrible

This used to be the NCAA format several years ago with the Championship Title game was a Single elimination and Winner take all.

The SEC never adjusted.

Sadly for some the SEC needs to only take the Top 8 teams and run a pure Double Elimination tournament.

They could go to a 2 Bye format and take the Top 10.

The NCAA now resets for a best 2 out of 3 Championship regardless of the losses entering the final.

Sorry if this Q has been asked but, I didnt see it but, why O why was UT the Visiting Team last night vs KY?? Thanks

Sorry if this Q has been asked but, I didnt see it but, why O why was UT the Visiting Team last night vs KY?? Thanks
SEC tournament Rules
# number of times home team, Comparison of teams with Less gets home
# number of times visiting Team Team with more gets home

about 5 rules until tie breaker is broken.

SEC tournament Rules
# number of times home team, Comparison of teams with Less gets home
# number of times visiting Team Team with more gets home

about 5 rules until tie breaker is broken.
It is Stupid. Just Coin flip vs all this crap or

Better Yet when you return to single elimination part of the tournament go to Seeding vs the other bull above

You earned the Seed based on the a Season of Work and the SEC seems to ignore it from that perspective when the tournament shows up. Late games are not the way to go we should have been in the afternoon session vs the night cap.

Really no advantage to being the No. 1 seed except the bye.....

Last edited:
I can't explain this schedule. It's single elimination the first day, then switches to double elim for a while, then back to single elim at the semis. The #1 seed doesn't play the worst seeded team out of the box, and even though has never lost a game, is playing until 2 am two nights in a row, and has to play to 2 am the night before a 3 pm championship game where the lesser seed in that game gets 4 more hours of rest. Meanwhile, the undefeated 1 seed has to win a single elimination championship game against a lesser seed who has already lost a game in a winner take all. Just a stupid setup. SEC should be ashamed.

VN Store

Back