Playoff loss vs Orange Bowl win

Vols1891

Would you all have rather gone to the Playoffs and lost in the first round or win the Orange Bowl like we did? I’m assuming most people will still pick the Playoffs, but I personally hate losing the final game of the season and it feels good to get a New Year’s Six win. I’m interested to see what our final ranking will be; Top 5 would be really nice. Overall, I am just so happy about this season. It hasn’t been the greatest year for me, but the Vols kept me smiling through some rough times.

Last edited:
idk at this point....making the CFP would have been a huge step for us...but then losing? or getting beat by 3+ scores? That would have had all the media saying "see, I told you they didn't belong".

Now, after making a NY6 bowl, and beating the #7 team in the country, we have (1) set ourselves up nicely for 2023, (2) go into offseason with a little less angst regarding JMIII and his long ball (was it just me or were his shots on the money?), (3) now have media talking about how "Tennessee is back, people", (4) we can now say that "we belonged in the CFP" and no one can argue with us.

I mean, a CFP appearance with a Loss likely has media stating "was TN just a flash in the pan with Hooker? Compare that to how we feel and what the media is saying now about TN....much better hype. We will likely be top 10 next year pre-season.

Now, C'mon KState....beat the horse pucky out of Alabama...I want them embarrassed so everyone can see just how stupid it was for ALA to be ranked above us.

Playoff loss without a doubt. Last night was great compared to where many believed we’d end up in the preseason, but as the year played out we all found out that this was a special team (four of our offensive players have been projected in the first round by atleast one mock draft at some point, iirc, Hooker, Tillman, Hyatt, Wright) that picked a really bad time to choke. Being ranked #1 in the CFP poll at one point only to not even make it. That had only happened one time previously in the 7 or so years of the playoff… “dream” seasons like this don’t happen often and you have to make the most of them when you get the chance… some will say this team did, while others will think of what could’ve been… just depends on the type of fan you are… neither is incorrect

Much like love, I believe its better to have played as a potential champion (even in a losing effort) than to have never played in the big game at all.

But can I get "Hell Yeah" and a "God Bless Josh Heupel" for the overall memories and success of this season?

Well done Volnation, Well Done indeed.

I look at it like this. The loss at South Carolina kept us from making the CFP. So what you're really asking is: Would you have rather not lost to South Carolina? The answer is: Of course. Making the CFP and losing the first game would have still resulted in the same overall record: 11-2. But we would have had the extra prestige of being a playoff team.

Having said all of that, I am thrilled with our overall season accomplishments. And a great win vs. Clemson (the ACC Champion) in the Orange Bowl in primetime was the perfect punctuation to a season that we will all remember fondly for the rest of our lives. It's all good.

Win or lose, I would have loved to see them in the playoffs. And to willinhf, K State is ahead of 'bama 10-0 with 3 minutes to go in the 1st quarter, and 'bama ain't looking good at all.

Reactions: willinhf
Orange Bowl win. A win is always better than a loss. I always find it hilarious to see those who say bowls don’t matter and it’s only for fans. Yeah the team clearly didn’t think it mattered. I am sure guys like Nico and the other EEs thought the win didn’t matter. I am sure the coaching staff really didn’t care about it. Or former players or the administration. I am sure none of them cared. 😂😂😂😂

Reactions: Vols1891
I enjoyed the win last night but I would have been much more excited anticipating the playoffs even if we lost. It feels like the bowl games are warm up games for the playoffs IMO.

Personal opinion only…the benefits of beating another recent National Champion, and perceived elite team in the Orange Bowl far outweigh the National perception hit we would have taken by losing badly in the playoffs. We can ride finishing on a high note into next season as opposed to licking our wounds for the next 9 months. Truthfully, without Hooker (not taking anything away from Milton) we weren’t quite championship caliber at this point.

I liked this match-up from the standpoint of taking back the prestige and success that Clemson benefitted from during our journey through the wilderness. I dearly hope we sent them packing to the same place we just came back from.

Reactions: D-Vols and 08Vol
Personal opinion only…the benefits of beating another recent National Champion, and perceived elite team in the Orange Bowl far outweigh the National perception hit we would have taken by losing badly in the playoffs. We can ride finishing on a high note into next season as opposed to licking our wounds for the next 9 months. Truthfully, without Hooker (not taking anything away from Milton) we weren’t quite championship caliber at this point.

I liked this match-up from the standpoint of taking back the prestige and success that Clemson benefitted from during our journey through the wilderness. I dearly hope we sent them packing to the same place we just came back from.
Exactly. The positivity surrounding our program was greatly enhanced last night. Recruiting, the portal, the off season all have a much better look with the end of the season being a win vs Clemson instead of a possible playoff loss. We needed to end this season on a high and we did just that. Lots of momentum and wind in our sails right now.

Maybe it’s just me but just this once……..I don’t care at all about “what could have been.”

What “was” is perfectly fine. Seriously amazing season, beating Bama, Florida and LSU, while destroying KY and Vandy. It was exciting, capped off with a great win vs Clemson.

Sure they had the terrible loss……but that doesn’t even linger for “me.” They bounced back without one of the best QB’s in the game to demolish Vandy, then stepped on the neck of Clemson………while having even more players gone.

This entire season is what all of VolNation and everyone within the Tennessee program needed. Tennessee is definitely back where they belong and growing.

Exactly. The positivity surrounding our program was greatly enhanced last night. Recruiting, the portal, the off season all have a much better look with the end of the season being a win vs Clemson instead of a possible playoff loss. We needed to end this season on a high and we did just that. Lots of momentum and wind in our sails right now.
I think it helps continue to build the winning culture here if we have to climb the ladder. I’d really like to capture the SEC next. When you progress and get better, expecting to win becomes the norm. As much as I wanted to be in the playoff, it may have been too big of a stage at this point. I want to be there when we undeniably belong there. There are no negatives to absorb from what happened last night.

Reactions: D-Vols

VN Store

Back