Playoff loss vs Orange Bowl win

Would you all have rather gone to the Playoffs and lost in the first round or win the Orange Bowl like we did? I’m assuming most people will still pick the Playoffs, but I personally hate losing the final game of the season and it feels good to get a New Year’s Six win. I’m interested to see what our final ranking will be; Top 5 would be really nice. Overall, I am just so happy about this season. It hasn’t been the greatest year for me, but the Vols kept me smiling through some rough times.
We wouldn't have lost in the first round.

Having said that, we don't need any hypotheticals. We had a pretty great season, capped with an Orange Bowl win. I'll take that.

Go Vols!

It's hard not to like this ending for 2022. Prime time NY6 game against a team like Clemson that won titles on what would have been our recruits. All Orange in the orange bowl so its a memorable matchup. It was the biggest game of the day and Tennessee gave Dabo a whoopin despite missing a bunch of guys. It puts us on great trajectory. I think I'll take this outcome for this year while we're still rebuilding on defense.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
IMO the Orange Bowl was exactly where we belonged in Year 2 of a complete rebuild.

Especially with Hooker injured.

And the beatdown win vs a high profile recent 2x NC was exactly what we needed to accelerate our offseason progress.

We’re in a better postseason position than AL will be after throttling a national nobody in the Sugar Bowl 🤷🏻‍♂️.

We just need to close the major gap in recruiting which will NO DOUBT happen in 2024 as Saban loses his grip. Especially if we can beat AL in their house making it two in a row.

We’re already seeing a momentum shift IMO on the field and among higher impact recruits. That’s why Alabubba is my pick as our 2023 #1 MUST WIN game.

2022 was a bolt of lightning we had the guts but simply didn’t have the NC level starting players or depth to seriously compete for an NC.

Take away the loss vs SC, Hooker’s injury and the opt outs and you can debate all you want

I’ll be bashed but I’m realistic. There’s 0 chance we beat beat bama, Michigan, or OSU on a neutral field without hooker. Especially with players sitting and our defense lacking at times. With that said, I’ll take going out on the win, possibly gaining some recruits, and carrying momentum to next year.

I would have rather been banned from postseason than have lost to the sorry chickens.

I'm glad we are we're we are however, if you are asking; if we beat USCjr, Hooker didn't get hurt and Hyatt and Tillman playing against Michigan. I'm taking that all day!!!! That would've set up a rematch with UGA! Never turning that down!!!!!

I'm glad we are we're we are however, if you are asking; if we beat USCjr, Hooker didn't get hurt and Hyatt and Tillman playing against Michigan. I'm taking that all day!!!! That would've set up a rematch with UGA! Never turning that down!!!!!
A healthy Hooker and a win against SC changes most peoples answer. But, his injury and the loss happened. The opinions are likely based on our circumstances. I still go back to August and ask if I’d take 11 wins and an Orange Bowl. Without question I would.

I got battered for asking a similar question in basketball.
Nit championship or NCAA Tournament first round loss.

If I had to pick blindly I would pick a playoff loss. But since I know that Clemson is the Orange Bowl win, that makes it more meaningful for me. I’ve been looking forward to this since 2004. Also, recruits perceive Clemson as a top notch team, so I think this win goes a long way for recruiting.

Reactions: knox73
I don't think you can overestimate the value of the Orange Bowl WIN which was a convincing victory. Making the playoffs would have been special for sure but soundly defeating Clemson in the Orange with Milton as qb in prime time is also amazing for this team. A full strength Vol team playing a competitive loss to Michigan or TCU would have been a phenomenal achievement as well but following SC and the loss of Hooker, etc. an Orange bowl win was the ceiling for success. The Vols are a developing program with a great young coach and learning how to win.

It depends on whether this hypothetical question is predicated on our having all "hands on deck" offensively. Without the SEC Offensive Player of the Year at quarterback and our top two receivers, we maximized the possible outcome under the circumstances by winning the Orange Bowl convincingly and defeating the number 7-ranked team in the country, ACC champions and recent national champion.

Assuming Tennessee wins at SCAR and Hooker is still hurt and out for the year, I think the CFP committee puts OSU above Tennessee and the Vols are still in the Orange Bowl.

Hooker's injury seemed to be the overriding factor in their assessment of Tennessee and was why they continued to have Bama ranked higher

Silly stuff, you always strive for the biggest strides. Having said that I am happy for the Orange Bowl won and the momentum going into spring. GBO

Either way our record is the same.

This team was special and always will be. I have faith they helped shape a culture under the guidance of a great staff and we will see years of success with this staff.

The thought never occurred to me. We are who we are, we did what we did, and anything other than that was just not meant to be. I'm gonna take the money and run, and not look back. I'll take this season as-is and as-was and be very happy with it.

Given the injury to Hooker and from a program advancement perspective, which would have been better:
The Orange Bowl win
VS
Making the playoffs and getting beaten?

I don't know but I'm alright with winning a NY6 bowl. Obviously making the playoff would've been nice but not if it meant a bad loss

Reactions: Lady_Vol
Although I would have LOVED to see Tennessee make the playoffs, given the Hooker injury situation, I think the Orange Bowl win and a Top 5 finish will serve the program better rolling into next year.

With Hooker out, I just don’t think we would have been as competitive in the playoffs.

We finished the season on a good note in a big bowl game against one the recent cfb elites. It's a good selling point.

VN Store

Back