Players Sitting out Bowl game

I'm not going to argue some future hypothetical, involving some high schooler who may not even have that option... but I will say that it's not a decision that every competitor will/would make. It's wrong to speak of this in absolute terms.

It’s also wrong to suggest today’s players risk injuries playing in the Music City Bowl, because 23 years ago Peyton Manning played with an injury in the Orange Bowl, which played a direct role in crowning a national champion...or half a national champion.

Last edited:
Reactions: VOLINVONORE
Sitting out the bowl game undermines our experience as fans, but can you really blame the guys who do it? It’s a life decision - If the NFL is in their future, positioning themselves for the next step is sensible. Not what fans might want to hear it, but it’s probably the best answer for those guys.
I'm sure it has probably happened, but can you think of a player whose draft prospects were diminished as the result of an injury sustained in a bowl game? Few examples of such occurrences are ever provided in threads such as this.

Even though I don't like the idea of skipping the bowl game I get it. What I don't understand and correct me if I'm wrong, Isn't Alontae playing in the Senior Bowl? If so, then I have a problem with them skipping the bowl game.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
Even though I don't like the idea of skipping the bowl game I get it. What I don't understand and correct me if I'm wrong, Isn't Alontae playing in the Senior Bowl? If so, then I have a problem with them skipping the bowl game.
Great point. If that is true, then the whole "afraid of an injury" ahead of the draft crutch is exposed for the bull $hit excuse that it is.

He’s skipping the bowl game because of an injury.

He’ll be 100% for the Senior Bowl, which means nothing to you, but AT’s choices at this point aren’t about you.

It’s also wrong to suggest today’s players risk injuries playing in the Music City Bowl because Peyton Manning played with an injury in the Orange Bowl, which played a direct role in crowning a national champion...or half a national champion.
It's not something I'm going to spend a lot of time on, but the players who are healthy enough to play in their team's bowl game, and elect not to due to concerns over a potential injury... but then turn up in the Senior Bowl 2 weeks later? They have clearly used the risk of potential injury as an excuse not to play, and they should not be held above criticism for it. Is it a big deal? Nah... but neither are most of the topics discussed on here.

Reactions: FallCreekVols
It's not something I'm going to spend a lot of time on, but the players who are healthy enough to play in their team's bowl game, and elect not to due to concerns over a potential injury... but then turn up in the Senior Bowl 2 weeks later? They have clearly used the risk of potential injury as an excuse not to play, and they should not be held above criticism for it. Is it a big deal? Nah... but neither are most of the topics discussed on here.

Why should they be criticized at all?

Because the fans don’t get what they want?

If AT was 100% and sat out the bowl game, but played in the Senior Bowl, good for him.

Reactions: Raebo
Exactly. People say that bowl games outside the playoff are meaningless... but they mean just as much to a non-contender as any other game.
No kne
Respectfully disagree, otherwise no players would opt out.

You mean players and coaches aren't equally excited to play in the Beef O'Bradys bowl as they are the fiesta?

Why should they be criticized at all?

Because the fans don’t get what they want?

If AT was 100% and sat out the bowl game, but played in the Senior Bowl, good for him.
I doubt you would get a consensus from within the team on that... but there is no way for us to know unless we have close access to the team.

I'm definitely not going to say "good for him" under the scenario that you described. Not going to argue over it anymore either.

We perceive this decision differently.

I doubt you would get a consensus from within the team on that... but there is no way for us to know unless we have close access to the team.

I'm definitely not going to say "good for him" under the scenario that you described. Not going to argue over it anymore either.

We perceive this decision differently.

What’s best for AT and his future doesn’t require consensus from anyone, except for AT and his family.

(When reading this post, the word “family” in the previous sentence should be spoken using Brian Kelly’s fake southern accent.)

I'm sure it has probably happened, but can you think of a player whose draft prospects were diminished as the result of an injury sustained in a bowl game? Few examples of such occurrences are ever provided in threads such as this.
Willis McGahee was still a first round pick, but lost a lot of money because of the injury he sustained in the Fiesta Bowl.

Willis McGahee was still a first round pick, but lost a lot of money because of the injury he sustained in the Fiesta Bowl.
I remember that injury vs Ohio State. It was ugly, but Buffalo drafted him about where he was projected to go before the injury. How do you figure that he lost a lot of money?

What’s best for AT and his future doesn’t require consensus from anyone, except for AT and his family.

(When reading this post, the word “family” in the previous sentence should be spoken using Brian Kelly’s fake southern accent.)
... and there is nothing wrong with being critical of him for it.

I remember that injury vs Ohio State. It was ugly, but Buffalo drafted him about where he was projected to go before the injury. How do you figure that he lost a lot of money?
What are you taking about? He was projected to be a top three pick. Most likely to Detroit at #2. If selected at #2 he would have signed a deal worth $40 million. Instead he signed a deal worth $17 million.

I guess these guys are thinking about *not* playing as an insurance policy to ensure that it doesn’t turn out that way. My position as a fan is that it sucks, but these young men are making their own choices. Who knows all the factors each player is weighing in his mind? In any event, none of them care what we think. I am thankful they suited up for the Big Orange.

What are you taking about? He was projected to be a top three pick. Most likely to Detroit at #2. If selected at #2 he would ah e signed a deal worth $40 million. Instead he signed a deal worth $17 million.
I don't remember him being projected that high... that was 19 years ago though.

Coaches can be fired too. Can we job performance kids at anytime?

Interesting that you would hold professional coaches and college kids to the same standard.

Are coaches running around the field risking a torn ACL every few moments?

Ask Metchie III that question right now.

I don't remember him being projected that high... that was 19 years ago though.
From ESPN

“McGahee, of course, still is rehabilitating from a catastrophic knee injury suffered in the Fiesta Bowl seven months ago. The injury, coming in the national championship game loss to Ohio State, included at least partial tears to three of the four knee ligaments.

Had McGahee been healthy, there is little doubt he would have been among the top three players chosen in this year's draft.”

VN Store

Back