Plavsic denied by NCAA

The NCAA needs to allow immediate eligibility after a student athletes first transfer, it would save the NCAA a lot of time.

I think I am for a rule that states if going through the portal by a specific date, eligibility is granted UNLESS it is opposed for cause by the school they are leaving and must be initially declared ineligible within in X days of entrance into the portal. May require the school losing the kid to commit the scholly for the season the student is required to sit out. Or something like that....

I'm not an advocate for paying players. But it is bull chit that scholarships are only for a year at a time but if players want to leave they are penalized with sitting out a year. It's also BS that yesterday the SECNW was asked to scale back on the commercials during UT Vandy to hurry up and get ahead of the thunder storms and they refused. Got to make that money first and foremost. Never mind player and fan safety.

Obviously this won’t be popular but I just don’t see anything in that article that makes me think he deserves a waiver under the current rules. If we want to make college sports free agency then so be it but as the rules are now you aren’t allowed to play immediately if you leave because an assistant coach leaves.

Kids shouldn’t choose schools because of assistant coaches and they darn sure shouldn’t let those same coaches make all their decisions which sounds like happened here

Obviously this won’t be popular but I just don’t see anything in that article that makes me think he deserves a waiver under the current rules. If we want to make college sports free agency then so be it but as the rules are now you aren’t allowed to play immediately if you leave because an assistant coach leaves.

Kids shouldn’t choose schools because of assistant coaches and they darn sure shouldn’t let those same coaches make all their decisions which sounds like happened here
I get that, and that may be fair, but that’s not my point...my point is that someone with a very similar story just got cleared.

Reactions: minorvol

Sure, all of us get to pick our own doctors, lawyers, financial advisors, etc. because it’s who we feel comfortable with. Yet these kids can’t pick a school because of a coach, one who could possibly set them for life. No sense at all.

I’m not for free agency, but it’s diffucult to reconcile that concept. If I had to go to a foreign country to play a sport or go to school, then I would probably be much more comfortable with an American who has done it before. The more I read, the more he should get a waiver.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

In every normal situation I agree.

However for me, if I were an “international” player I might tend to go where I may at least know that one guy.......and to where that one guy could communicate with me.

I don’t know for sure if that is the situation here or not......but it has to be much harder moving to a new country, alone, and possibly not even know the language.

In every normal situation I agree.

However for me, if I were an “international” player I might tend to go where I may at least know that one guy.......and to where that one guy could communicate with me.

I don’t know for sure if that is the situation here or not......but it has to be much harder moving to a new country, alone, and possibly not even know the language.

I don’t disagree but you can’t have a different set of rules for America and international players imo

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I don’t disagree but you can’t have a different set of rules for America and international players imo

Agree, but for this one situation we are primarily talking about a kids decision and not any certain rule.

Normal kids shouldn’t come to a school solely because of one assistant, and that assistant shouldn’t be part of “other” decisions the kid makes........however for an international kid, that “could” be a bit different.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Agree, but for this one situation we are primarily talking about a kids decision and not any certain rule.

Normal kids shouldn’t come to a school solely because of one assistant, and that assistant shouldn’t be part of “other” decisions the kid makes........however for an international kid, that “could” be a bit different.

I get it but as I have said from the start of this the ncaa can’t set a precedent to allow players to leave when assistants leave under the current set of rules

I wish we had a much stronger reason to grant a waiver but I am not sure we have one.

I get it but as I have said from the start of this the ncaa can’t set a precedent to allow players to leave when assistants leave under the current set of rules

I wish we had a much stronger reason to grant a waiver but I am not sure we have one.
After thinking on the transfer rule I’m more open to the one time without restriction. I think the number of transfers will sky rocket but it would also force coaches to practice more honest recruiting. As long as you have a coach like Barnes that’s great.

I agree with Bruin. Also, I think it is a red flag for this to be his third team in three years.

My complaint is that other people are getting by with way worse. It is almost like the NCAA just throws darts to make decisions.

Reactions: minorvol
I agree with Bruin. Also, I think it is a red flag for this to be his third team in three years.

My complaint is that other people are getting by with way worse. It is almost like the NCAA just throws darts to make decisions.

This is Uros' 2nd stop FWIW. He did commit to Cleveland State originally and then flipped to ASU and signed there when they hired Zolarich.

Reactions: Kristy*
I just don't like how the NCAA gets to burn a year of a player's eligibility because of their rules that you have to sit out. If it's them forcing you to sit out then it shouldn't count as a yr of eligibility.

Reactions: cardvolfan
You can't count Cleveland state against him, since he was only committed there. Hundreds of kids decommit a year. He followed a coach. That happens dozens of times a year as well. Think about the porter boys that followed dad to Missouri. His coach also helped him because he couldn't really speak English when he got here. Of course he's going to be more attached to him.

On top of that, his host family here is in Chattanooga, so now he's a lot closer to them as well. Zolaric was a GA here, so we had another obvious connection.

I get the whole kind of handler aspect of it, but the whole situation adds up to why he should be eligible here. I guess we'll see though, or not.

You can't count Cleveland state against him, since he was only committed there. Hundreds of kids decommit a year. He followed a coach. That happens dozens of times a year as well. Think about the porter boys that followed dad to Missouri. His coach also helped him because he couldn't really speak English when he got here. Of course he's going to be more attached to him.

On top of that, his host family here is in Chattanooga, so now he's a lot closer to them as well. Zolaric was a GA here, so we had another obvious connection.

I get the whole kind of handler aspect of it, but the whole situation adds up to why he should be eligible here. I guess we'll see though, or not.

Does anyone know where Zolaric is now? Is he still in East TN?

Per Barnes he is so upset with the Uros situation because Uros has done nothing but listen to the adults in his life about where to go to school, etc. He was apparently made promises by them that they didn't keep. The NCAA is penalizing him for doing as he was told by people who knew far more about the NCAA system than he did himself.

As an aside, if scholarships are 1 year contracts, staying in school should be a 1 year contract. Even if it leads to a wild west situation, which I don't think it would lead to significantly more transfers than now.

It's time to alter the transfer rules. Every kid gets one free transfer with immediate eligibility, no questions asked. If there is not going to be a clear set of standards to abide by and with an increasingly large number of transfers each year, I don't think it's fair to keep punishing the student athlete. Any transfer after the first requires the player to sit for a year. As some have stated, it might keep coaches honest in recruiting. No more snake oil salesmen trying to con impressionable young student athletes.

VN Store

Back