Pitt Was The Better Team?

That's correct, and I guess that tells you they were actually the better team. Disciplined and functional all over and with very good QB play.
Talent wise. No. UT is more talented and should have won the game in spite of making enough mistakes to lose 5 games. But Pitt is a "good" team that didn't make mistakes.

Even with all that, McElroy nailed it today in a 247 interview. UT needed Milton to hit 3 deep balls. If he had done that then Pitt couldn't have walked their safeties down. If their safeties' first step had to always be back then the run lanes and shorter throws would have been open. Missing those wide open deep balls turned the game.

Obviously a lot of people don't like to talk about "hope" and "moral victories" and all that, but I think Tennessee Recruiting is going to be bad for a while, and you're not going to out-skill mediocre teams for a while. Entitlement can only do so much in real life, and for us it may not do anything right now. I don't think there's any need to say "just wait until Heupel gets his players into the system". He can't recruit very well and so this is just who we are for a while. Now that certain people can pay players, we might have some advantages that way.
Nope. This was a loss not a moral victory. UT blew what should have been a multi-score win. The "hope" that these mistakes can be corrected and would have changed the outcome of this particular game isn't unreasonable at all. In fact... it is the only reasonable position to believe that this team with a few less mistakes takes Pitt to the woodshed.

No one... including the clairvoyant you... knows whether Heupel and his staff can correct these mistakes and win games like this going forward. However UT has more talent than UK, USCe, Mizzou, and probably Ole Miss. Recruiting depends on having something to show players on the field. We won't know how that will go... until we see it.

Teams include not just players but also the coaches who make decisions regarding plays, opponent penalty acceptance/rejection, and so forth. Based on that reality, Pitt\burgh was the better team.

Reactions: Rooster1
UT should have beaten them by multiple scores. Still... the best three teams remaining on their schedule are VT, UNC, and Clemson. Clemson doesn't look good but will still probably beat them. They could now... maybe should now... be a 10 win team and STILL not be a team that would break .500 in the SEC.
They will find a way to lose. Miami will beat them also being that its late in the year.

We lost this game. Joe doesn’t miss those open shots early we win. Can’t blame is on the 4th spot thats 1 play.
No, but I can blame that PI on Flowers gifting Pitt a Touchdown instead of a FG. We hit one of Miltons deep shots we win on those two plays alone. We shot ourselves in the foot for sure but to say the officials didn’t do more than their share is negligence. The PI on Burrell also wouldn’t have been called in the SEC. I hate the concept of the visiting team gets their officials in cross conference play.

Our coaching staff called a win. The players did not execute. Got a good feeling about this staff.

Our coaching staff called a win. The players did not execute. Got a good feeling about this staff.

I'm glad you do because I don't. 3 and done and I hope Lincoln leaves and Oklahoma comes calling...... SEE YA!

I'm not going to mix words here but that 4th down play that was called was beyond terrible. It was fourth and inches and you couldn't dial in another play then what they ran? You guys can have him, I'm out on this clown. Let him take White with him. FLAME AWAY!

Game should’ve been well in hand before the 4th and inches play. We had squandered at least 21 points throughout the game.

Reactions: VolRage
I'm glad you do because I don't. 3 and done and I hope Lincoln leaves and Oklahoma comes calling...... SEE YA!

I'm not going to mix words here but that 4th down play that was called was beyond terrible. It was fourth and inches and you couldn't dial in another play then what they ran? You guys can have him, I'm out on this clown. Let him take White with him. FLAME AWAY!
How did you feel when Lane Kiffin ran the ball 4 times up the middle against UCLA from the 2 yard line? Did you quit on him?

Pitts Schedule is back loaded. @VT,Clemson, Unc, Viginia
Yea but 4 of those are in Pittsburgh once the weather changes. They will probably win their next 3 before @ Va Tech to get to 5-0. I could see 8-4 but that would mean their going 1-3 in late fall early winter, at home in Pittsburgh vs teams from the SE coast. I honestly wouldnt be suprised by 9-3 or 10-2 with Clemson being the only clearly better team on the schedule.

Let's look at this.... If you take away the over throws, the penalties, and the stupid calls on defense, and QB choice and played to win what would the score had been? 4th and inches and we don't convert? who was the better team?

We gave them this game. Plain and simple.

All part of the game. Pitt was also playing on the road....

Last edited:

VN Store

Back