Pitt Was The Better Team?

Truth Pitt sucks and probably wont win 7 games. We **** the bed.

Haven’t you heard though? Pitt is a juggernaut because they beat us. Peyton likes their QB so that means he is the next Tom Brady. Their QB is the best one we will face this year. He is just an absolute stud. 😂😂😂😂

Pitt is an average team that lost SEC teams would have beaten. The ACC is down this year so they will likely have a decent record. But make no mistake, they are not that good. We are just that bad.

Reactions: JoAllan
Let's look at this.... If you take away the over throws, the penalties, and the stupid calls on defense, and QB choice and played to win what would the score had been? 4th and inches and we don't convert? who was the better team?

We gave them this game. Plain and simple.

Using the boxing analogy, you have a guy on the ropes and you better finish him off. It's not time to go soft and let him back into the match. There is something called momentum and Pitt took it back from us. We had it and we would have demoralized them with 3 scores up.

Silly, undisciplined mistakes. You cannot body slam a guy. It does not look good and you get a penalty. Do these guys lose their minds out there and go crazy? They just need to stop the foolishness.

Pitt had enough sense to take advantage of all of our mistakes. But after seeing them play, I would not classify them as the better team. It was in our grasp.

He’s going to end up throwing for about 10,000 yards at a P5 school and is projecting 3rd or 4th round in the draft. That’s pretty strong.

Ok but he has been a starter since 2018. This is his 4th year. That equates to a round 2500 yards a season. That’s far from elite. Is he good? Sure. Elite? No. I don’t think he will be close to as good of a QB as we will face this year.

I don't understand the infatuation with running qbs. You have wide receivers and you have running backs. When you have a qb who can deliver the ball down field to his receivers it opens the running game. If you rely on your qb to run the ball and he is not Lamar Jackson you may not win. Bailey should start the rest of the way.

Let's look at this.... If you take away the over throws, the penalties, and the stupid calls on defense, and QB choice and played to win what would the score had been? 4th and inches and we don't convert? who was the better team?

I thought Pitt almost gave us the game. They turned conservative every time they got ahead. It was like playing Butch Jones. That QB picked our secondary apart at will but the coach wanted to run the ball up the tube with a 14 point lead.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Well, let's see here:

1. Pitt won the game
2. Pitt had the better QB
3. Pitt had fewer penalties and fewer penalty yards
4. Pitt had fewer turnovers (zero)
5. Pitt was more disciplined

Yeah, that does determine who the better team was.

This game to me was never about the QB… we lost this game because of the entire team. I do think Pitt is the better team but we had our chances to pull off the upset.

The Kentucky team I saw play Saturday night would curb stomp Pitt.
They have a very good shot at being second in the east this year.

mmmm, gonna pump the brakes on that. They were at home against a team that had a losing record last year and looked bad in their opener (not to mention lost to us last year!). Let's not get carried away. I think Florida will curb stomp Kentucky, actually. We will see though (and actually hope I'm wrong).

I think Pitt is a pretty solid team. I can see them being around 9-3 this season. UT should of beaten them by a couple scores though. Too many mistakes. Didn't make the plays they neeeded to, ect ect.

Pitt is the “supposed” better team. They may very well have been coached and developed better over the past years.

Tennessee has been terrible……you don’t have 8 losing seasons out of 13 without being BAD (and I thank Dobbs and co…not the coach for some of those winning years).

However Tennessee has always had the talent…….enough to beat teams like Pitt and at least not have a losing seasons.

Now they just have to get coached, get developed, and learn to win. When you’ve been down for years you can’t do ALL the things Tennessee did Saturday and expect to win……yet they still had a chance to.

mmmm, gonna pump the brakes on that. They were at home against a team that had a losing record last year and looked bad in their opener (not to mention lost to us last year!). Let's not get carried away. I think Florida will curb stomp Kentucky, actually. We will see though (and actually hope I'm wrong).
This is most likely a bad take just considering the way those Kentucky/Florida games have gone the last 5-6 years.

LOL
If Bama didn't have 5* players everywhere and Nick Saban, Bama wouldn't be the greatest.
These threads happen how many times a year?

Reactions: Firebirdparts
I never get the dynamic of saying a team that just beat you isn’t that good. The logic just isn’t there.
The dude listed like 5 things. Major things. Things that define one program from the other. I almost wonder if it was satire, but alas we see it all too often.

Scoreboard never lies. The better team doesn’t give away the game. You could argue the refs gave them the game.

Well, let's see here:

1. Pitt won the game
2. Pitt had the better QB
3. Pitt had fewer penalties and fewer penalty yards
4. Pitt had fewer turnovers (zero)
5. Pitt was more disciplined

Yeah, that does determine who the better team was.
No doubt they were the better coached team. The post above attest to that fact. I do think we had more talent on the field.
Hopefully, CJH learns from his mistakes and makes corrections in practice and his in game adjustments are quicker. Pitts’s 27 pt second qtr shows slow adjusting, both in ball control on offense and defense getting stops…….

Clearly the better team. They didn't make many mistakes. They were nowhere nearly as talented, but a better team. A team is the sum of its production.

Reactions: Alto1
Change QB's between Pitt and TN and we win by double digit no question.
That's correct, and I guess that tells you they were actually the better team. Disciplined and functional all over and with very good QB play.

Obviously a lot of people don't like to talk about "hope" and "moral victories" and all that, but I think Tennessee Recruiting is going to be bad for a while, and you're not going to out-skill mediocre teams for a while. Entitlement can only do so much in real life, and for us it may not do anything right now. I don't think there's any need to say "just wait until Heupel gets his players into the system". He can't recruit very well and so this is just who we are for a while. Now that certain people can pay players, we might have some advantages that way.

Truth Pitt sucks and probably wont win 7 games. We **** the bed.
UT should have beaten them by multiple scores. Still... the best three teams remaining on their schedule are VT, UNC, and Clemson. Clemson doesn't look good but will still probably beat them. They could now... maybe should now... be a 10 win team and STILL not be a team that would break .500 in the SEC.

VN Store

Back