Pitino: Policing arm is 'a joke'

they arent the police. they are an entity to govern, and manage. why are they obsessed with punitive measures?is it because they forgot how to lead 30 years ago?

How do you propose that any entity ensure that programs across the country are not cheating in one way or another? Yahoo fans just like to feign outrage when their program is investigated. The NCAA isn't obsessed with punitive measures--but, again, what do propose any governing body should do when a program is caught cheating? Give it and the coaches a big "tsk, tsk, now boys, I hope you won't do that again?"

Enforcing rules is no easy task, there's no doubt about that.

Programs that were cheating in the past got caught and,in some cases, were punished severely--see bama 20 years ago. Major scandal, major punishment. That can be a deterent.

The sport(s) needs rules or there will be what we have now--chaos and idiocy...and PLENTY of cheating.

How do you propose that any entity ensure that programs across the country are not cheating in one way or another? Yahoo fans just like to feign outrage when their program is investigated. The NCAA isn't obsessed with punitive measures--but, again, what do propose any governing body should do when a program is caught cheating? Give it and the coaches a big "tsk, tsk, now boys, I hope you won't do that again?"

Enforcing rules is no easy task, there's no doubt about that.

Programs that were cheating in the past got caught and,in some cases, were punished severely--see bama 20 years ago. Major scandal, major punishment. That can be a deterent.

The sport(s) needs rules or there will be what we have now--chaos and idiocy...and PLENTY of cheating.
For starters investigate every school and do so in a timely and equal footing. Can't slap Tennessee/UF/ UM/James Madison and allow Georgia/ OSU/ Bama etc to commit the same crimes and go unpunished. The system is flawed. You absolutely have to Govern by the same set of rules. Which the NCAA has not done. I don't need to point out their fk ups. Its a long list

You start by wiping the slate clean, setting a clear defined set of rules and enforcing whether it is Michigan, Tennessee or Georgia. If you break the rules it should be the same outcome across the board. Anything less is failure. If you want parity amongst the sport you do not allow the good ole boys to get away with illegal tactics while punishing others doing the same violation

You start by wiping the slate clean, setting a clear defined set of rules and enforcing whether it is Michigan, Tennessee or Georgia. If you break the rules it should be the same outcome across the board. Anything less is failure. If you want parity amongst the sport you do not allow the good ole boys to get away with illegal tactics while punishing others doing the same violation

So for you this is about the NCAA picking on Tennessee? I don't think that's the case. The NCAA's punishments have generally been fairly standard for everybody--scholarship reductions, maybe a postseason ban. There has been some variability--maybe too much--but the sanctions have generally been similar. I don't know where you guys get this idea that only Tenneessee gets picked on--it's ludicrious. Harbaugh was banned from coaching in, what, six games last year for Michigan. Many schools have been investigated and gotten penalties over the years. Bama got hammered--major penalities--20 years ago. Every major has compliance officers who are supposed to help keep their programs on the straight and narrow. It's a good idea, but one gets the impression that some of them have been ignored by schools over the years. As is obvious, enforcement is going to be a huge challenge no matter who governs college football. People seem to forget: the schools ARE the NCAA.

The real problem is that the sport has just become irrationally competitive and dumb--and this has been true for a long time. Too many crazy old rich boosters/fans who care way too much about college games. They start stomping their feet and ranting if things are not going well, and they're happy to throw their money around to help old State U. When you agree to spend $76 million to sack a coach, you've jumped the shark.

So for you this is about the NCAA picking on Tennessee? I don't think that's the case. The NCAA's punishments have generally been fairly standard for everybody--scholarship reductions, maybe a postseason ban. There has been some variability--maybe too much--but the sanctions have generally been similar. I don't know where you guys get this idea that only Tenneessee gets picked on--it's ludicrious. Harbaugh was banned from coaching in, what, six games last year for Michigan. Many schools have been investigated and gotten penalties over the years. Bama got hammered--major penalities--20 years ago. Every major has compliance officers who are supposed to help keep their programs on the straight and narrow. It's a good idea, but one gets the impression that some of them have been ignored by schools over the years. As is obvious, enforcement is going to be a huge challenge no matter who governs college football. People seem to forget: the schools ARE the NCAA.

The real problem is that the sport has just become irrationally competitive and dumb--and this has been true for a long time. Too many crazy old rich boosters/fans who care way too much about college games. They start stomping their feet and ranting if things are not going well, and they're happy to throw their money around to help old State U. When you agree to spend $76 million to sack a coach, you've jumped the shark.
No it's not just about Tennessee, it is about keep sports ethical and fair play. As I said if everyone plays by the same rules I have no issue. The NCAA does not hold all programs to the same standard. You think the NCAA has been fair ? UnC running fake classes and nothing, LSU nothing. How about Ohio State spending 13 Million on transfer portal ? You think some tampering wasn't involved ? Yet BRU wasn't cleared to play or the Kid from UNC last season. You think they give the same delay to Bama, OSU or Michigan ? Time and time again they have proven to play favorites

Back in ancient days when I was in college... I was in ROTC. They paid me. I wasn't yet a professional soldier. I worked a summer job. It wasn't a professional job... it was pretty menial actually.

I do not agree that players should be paid by the school. They receive a scholarship and benefits worth as much as $100k per year. That's enough. NIL is like endorsements for pros. Related to their job? Yes. Pay for play? No. MJ hasn't played in years and still has commercial value for his NIL. Coaches can do all sorts of endorsements and make MORE than what the program pays them.

The athletes are "amateur" by the definition of the compensation provided FOR THEIR PLAY. Beyond that... their NIL belongs to THEM>
lol this isn’t 1995 , and get off my lawn !

He did a good job when here at Chattanooga. Then the Gamecocks stole him away. Many, including me, thought he should have waited a couple of years for a better job but he proved us wrong.

I think the minimum intrusion is the best.

I would say something like players having to report their NIL income to a governing body. The compromise would be discretion. Unless there were some evidence of wrong doing, the details would be completely discreet and private. If something was discovered then the athlete or their rep would have the first right to respond... without anyone else knowing.
So you advocate for violating federal antitrust law?

Glad it ain't my money.

VN Store

Back