Pitino: Policing arm is 'a joke'

Back in ancient days when I was in college... I was in ROTC. They paid me. I wasn't yet a professional soldier. I worked a summer job. It wasn't a professional job... it was pretty menial actually.

I do not agree that players should be paid by the school. They receive a scholarship and benefits worth as much as $100k per year. That's enough. NIL is like endorsements for pros. Related to their job? Yes. Pay for play? No. MJ hasn't played in years and still has commercial value for his NIL. Coaches can do all sorts of endorsements and make MORE than what the program pays them.

The athletes are "amateur" by the definition of the compensation provided FOR THEIR PLAY. Beyond that... their NIL belongs to THEM>

Back in ancient days when I was in college... I was in ROTC. They paid me. I wasn't yet a professional soldier. I worked a summer job. It wasn't a professional job... it was pretty menial actually.

I do not agree that players should be paid by the school. They receive a scholarship and benefits worth as much as $100k per year. That's enough. NIL is like endorsements for pros. Related to their job? Yes. Pay for play? No. MJ hasn't played in years and still has commercial value for his NIL. Coaches can do all sorts of endorsements and make MORE than what the program pays them.

The athletes are "amateur" by the definition of the compensation provided FOR THEIR PLAY. Beyond that... their NIL belongs to THEM>

My issue is again enforcement. How do you stop rogue boosters? How do you monitor? I think players have been getting paid all along (at least star ones). Maybe not quite at the scale of NIL. My issue with enforcement is that it will be selective whether accidental or not and favor certain programs over others.

Everyone that argues that players shouldn't be paid can't explain to me how you stop it.

My issue is again enforcement. How do you stop rogue boosters? How do you monitor? I think players have been getting paid all along (at least star ones). Maybe not quite at the scale of NIL. My issue with enforcement is that it will be selective whether accidental or not and favor certain programs over others.

Everyone that argues that players shouldn't be paid can't explain to me how you stop it.
I think the minimum intrusion is the best.

I would say something like players having to report their NIL income to a governing body. The compromise would be discretion. Unless there were some evidence of wrong doing, the details would be completely discreet and private. If something was discovered then the athlete or their rep would have the first right to respond... without anyone else knowing.

Reactions: igotworms

Interestingly--and applicable to the thread's topic--when you were paid back in your college days for being in ROTC, it was the US Army that paid you. Not UT. The military. You had a contract with the Army that was separate and distinct from the University of Tennessee. The program was simply run with the concurrence and assistance of the college.

That has striking parallels to today's NIL collective relationships with students.

Of course, the AMOUNT of money is hugely different here from your case. Heh.

But the principle is pretty similar.

NCAA needs to get their knickers out of a bind, and emerge into the 21st Century world.

Go Vols!

The whole question when it comes down to the case of UT is whether NIL collectives are considered boosters or third party agents representing the athletes. Or, if they are considered boosters, when did that status begin, because the NCAA official position on that came after the recruitment of Nico. On top of that, it doesn't even address the case the states of TN and VA have filed challenging the anti-trust issue. In the end it will probably result in a players' union, so bargaining and rules approved by the players themselves can be introduced.

Last edited:
The collective is all a farce in the name of NIL. In theory a collective would sign an athlete and in turn have the athlete indorse a product or attend an event for a business and then that business would pay the collective for using the athletes NIL. As it is now, the collectives are getting all or most of their money from boosters/donations.

Interestingly--and applicable to the thread's topic--when you were paid back in your college days for being in ROTC, it was the US Army that paid you. Not UT. The military. You had a contract with the Army that was separate and distinct from the University of Tennessee. The program was simply run with the concurrence and assistance of the college.

That has striking parallels to today's NIL collective relationships with students.

Of course, the AMOUNT of money is hugely different here from your case. Heh.

But the principle is pretty similar.

NCAA needs to get their knickers out of a bind, and emerge into the 21st Century world.

Go Vols!
Good point. We weren't well off... but still couldn't get aid. Nothing was free for us. It was less expensive then... but still expensive relative to what my parents made.

My main point is that the scholarship and perks plus the opportunity to make NIL money on the side isn't "cheating" anyone. Not the athlete. Not the school. Not the fans. Not the sponsors... and DEFINITELY not the NCAA.

The collective is all a farce in the name of NIL. In theory a collective would sign an athlete and in turn have the athlete indorse a product or attend an event for a business and then that business would pay the collective for using the athletes NIL. As it is now, the collectives are getting all or most of their money from boosters/donations.
Thats the main problem as all the major schools are doing it in the open. Look at Miami for example, a booster literally has been financing the team, but the NCAA looks the other way. Bama, Georgia...lets look the other way. for UT, its lets make up new rules and go after them.

The whole question when it comes down to the case of UT is whether NIL collectives are considered boosters or third party agents representing the athletes. Or, if they are considered boosters, when did that status begin, because the NCAA official position on that came after the recruitment of Nico. On top of that, it doesn't even address the case the states of TN and VA have filed challenging the anti-trust issue. In the end it will probably result in a players' union, so bargaining and rules approved by the players themselves can be introduced.
Along the lines of what you said in your last sentence:

I agree that the NCAA is a fledgling group at this point. However, Rick Pitino calling out the enforcement arm of the NCAA is one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard. He knows every person at the NCAA personally after all of his infractions. Dancers, hookers, money, etc., He was caught for it all at some point.

Speaking of Pitino. We should consider hiring his son after Barnes decides to retire. He's doing a helluva job at UNM

Patino has zero credibility. Why do you think he's coaching lowly St. John's now? Because his Louisville program cheated for years, the program was harshly punished and he was fired. So he's got an ax to grind, in a big way. Somebody will govern college athletics going forward--setting and enforcing rules--and fans will continue to get run around waving their arms hysterically when their school is investigated. Nothing will change.

Patino has zero credibility. Why do you think he's coaching lowly St. John's now? Because his Louisville program cheated for years, the program was harshly punished and he was fired. So he's got an ax to grind, in a big way. Somebody will govern college athletics going forward--setting and enforcing rules--and fans will continue to get run around waving their arms hysterically when their school is investigated. Nothing will change.
"HIS SON"

Reactions: SAPPER 5
He is right. NIL is here to stay, they ARE Professionals and "you can't stop it." "Disband the ncaa enforcement arm." I say disband the whole thing.
they arent the police. they are an entity to govern, and manage. why are they obsessed with punitive measures?is it because they forgot how to lead 30 years ago?

needs to go back to the states to enforce whatever rules/laws they see fit.....NCAA is just a professional extortion business

^^^ It always has favored certain programs.

Reactions: volbound1700
I think the minimum intrusion is the best.

I would say something like players having to report their NIL income to a governing body. The compromise would be discretion. Unless there were some evidence of wrong doing, the details would be completely discreet and private. If something was discovered then the athlete or their rep would have the first right to respond... without anyone else knowing.
It is already in place,,,, it's called the IRS.

VN Store

Back