Picture Of Bear Bryant

My Favorite Bear Picture. Isn't Alabama that team that is on probation all the time?
BearBryta.jpg

I'm late to the conversation (as usual) but here are a few points.

First, anyone can find examples of poor performances against inferior teams. Let's say for example the 2002 Tide - the year they were "back". This was a 10 win season (13 games) with a close one against Oklahoma (that many Bama fans claim "we should've won it") and a big win in Knoxville

What happened the game before the OU game? How about a 5 point win over the perennial powerhouse MTSU. That's right Middle Tennessee State University in their 2nd or so year as a D1 team. Final score, 39 - 34 with a late interception by Bama to seal it.

How on earth did such a great team allow a pitiful MTSU team to score 34? In all the Bama fan crowing about the 2002 season, the MTSU game is conveniently forgotten. Instead we hear about the loss to OU which Bama should've won except for one or two plays by OU, the loss to Georgia (a result of comments by Pat Dye saying UGA wasn't man enough) and the loss to Auburn (because Fran was distracted). The argument goes on that Bama should have been 13-0 if if if.

As you see, this argument is meaningless. Good teams struggle at times.

As for the tiresome argument about "if we had Brodie". It is ridiculous to say what would have happened. Bama had some open receivers in the game because of the D-scheme run by UT. Had Brodie been playing, the D-scheme would have been different. As for the "fumble", don't forget that the early interception by Bama occurred on a bobble by a UT receiver. The ball was easily catchable and instead the receiver batted it around long enough for a Bama player to intercept. This put the ball in UT territory and resulted in the ONLY TD drive for the Tide. How about the long UT drive where Ainge stupidly threw into coverage in the endzone. To say this game was determined by one play (fumble) or would have been a win for the Tide with Brodie is also a fruitless argument. Look at the stats of the game. Bama was held to 50% of their normal rushing yardage and about 50% of their average score for the year (this stat is based on post-Brodie scoring). Finally, review the game and notice how while UT was able to move the ball in the second half, they sat on it preferring to run the clock. All this was part of a game plan designed for the personnel that Bama had that day. Add Brodie, change the game plan.

If you want to talk football that's fine. But if you throw out a veiled flame (e.g. how did you give up all those points to an intramural team) then expect to get it back.

Yay Vols, you may as well get used to it - the Bear is not coming back.

Here's a look at the post-Bear Tide.

Winning % - 67%
SEC titles - 3
NC's - 1

Not too bad however compare that to the Vols since then

Winning % - 75%
SEC titles - 5
NC's - 1

Also how about that head to head record.

UT 13, Bama 9, one tie.

Roooolll Tide :eek:lol:

Originally posted by volinbham@May 17, 2005 11:00 AM
I'm late to the conversation (as usual) but here are a few points.

First, anyone can find examples of poor performances against inferior teams.  Let's say for example the 2002 Tide - the year they were "back".  This was a 10 win season (13 games) with a close one against Oklahoma (that many Bama fans claim "we should've won it") and a big win in Knoxville

What happened the game before the OU game?  How about a 5 point win over the perennial powerhouse MTSU.  That's right Middle Tennessee State University in their 2nd or so year as a D1 team.  Final score, 39 - 34 with a late interception by Bama to seal it.

How on earth did such a great team allow a pitiful MTSU team to score 34?  In all the Bama fan crowing about the 2002 season, the MTSU game is conveniently forgotten.  Instead we hear about the loss to OU which Bama should've won except for one or two plays by OU, the loss to Georgia (a result of comments by Pat Dye saying UGA wasn't man enough) and the loss to Auburn (because Fran was distracted).  The argument goes on that Bama should have been 13-0 if if if.

As you see, this argument is meaningless.  Good teams struggle at times.

As for the tiresome argument about "if we had Brodie".  It is ridiculous to say what would have happened.  Bama had some open receivers in the game because of the D-scheme run by UT.  Had Brodie been playing, the D-scheme would have been different.  As for the "fumble", don't forget that the early interception by Bama occurred on a bobble by a UT receiver.  The ball was easily catchable and instead the receiver batted it around long enough for a Bama player to intercept.  This put the ball in UT territory and resulted in the ONLY TD drive for the Tide.  How about the long UT drive where Ainge stupidly threw into coverage in the endzone.  To say this game was determined by one play (fumble) or would have been a win for the Tide with Brodie is also a fruitless argument.  Look at the stats of the game.  Bama was held to 50% of their normal rushing yardage and about 50% of their average score for the year (this stat is based on post-Brodie scoring).  Finally, review the game and notice how while UT was able to move the ball in the second half, they sat on it preferring to run the clock.  All this was part of a game plan designed for the personnel that Bama had that day.  Add Brodie, change the game plan. 

If you want to talk football that's fine.  But if you throw out a veiled flame (e.g. how did you give up all those points to an intramural team) then expect to get it back.
[snapback]95104[/snapback]​

If you want to get into ut holding Bama rushing...lets do some comparison:

Total Rush Yards

Bama: 143
UT: 79

ut wasnt even able to move the ball until the second half

And we still won....go figure.

Bama sucks and it shows.

10 wins in 2 seasons

ha!

The rushing stats for the game are 105 for Bama, 63 for UT. You stated rush yards "gained" not net rush yards (the official statistic). You conveniently left out rush yards lost (e.g. tackles behind the line). Typical spin.

More importantly, you missed my point Yay Vols. Living in Bammerville, I hear the comments like you made such as 1) Bama dominated the game except for one play (the fumble) and 2) if Brodie was there, Bama would have won.

What I'm pointing out is that Bama struggled in that game more than any other of the season. Bama rushed for many more yards per season than UT, so it is a comparison of performance to season average that's of interest here. Bama did not "dominate" the game.

Go back and look at the history of this series and you'll see many games decided by a touchdown or less. It's nuts to play what if with one game.

Take a loss with the "class" that Bama fans claim to have.

history past what could have been....all signs point to a bama fan.

get over it. talk to some alumni about The Bear and let's see what happens on 10/22/05 in Tuscaloosa.

I have not made ONE reference to our great PAST coach. It is you all that keep bringing him up. If you say we struggled the most at the UT game, keep in mind the score, it was still very close. Its done, you guys won, I realize this. I just hate it when you chastise my team when it was a very close game. Then youre going to talk about class...

Which I have already commented on...I mean honestly dude, did you expect KY and Vandy to be that close of a game? I really do believe yall messed up big time in those games and when Bama came around both teams played their hearts out.

So....what is your point?

You have already tried making the point that UT sucked because the games were close yet we already showed how idiotic and pointless that comment is by showing how great teams still play much worse teams (Alabama, Vandy, Kentucky) close....

Can you at least come up with some sort of logical, semi-intelligent response that has facts behind it?

Yay Vols,

I'm commenting on your comments.

1) You've tried to make a big deal about the UK and VU games. We all acknowledge that UT should have won much more easily.

Again, I reference the MTSU game where this happened to Bama. It happens. You've stated yourself that you bring it up in an effort to bring down UT fans that act as if UT is great. My point is that all teams good and bad sometimes don't play to their potential. I would imagine that if you look back at Bama's NC teams you'd find some examples. That however, doesn't diminish the NC.

2) You made reference to the Bama would've won with Brodie argument. I simply point out that the argument is fruitless and present evidence that Bama didn't dominate and only lose because of a fumble.

I never said Bama didn't play hard - I was very impressed with their play and disappointed UT didn't look more impressive against Bama, UK and VU.

So as you see, I'm not chastising Bama - I thought they played very tough in every game last year which is a tribute to the players and coaches. I'm arguing the notion that Bama "should have won" if, if and if.

Originally posted by Yay Vols@May 18, 2005 11:01 AM
I have not made ONE reference to our great PAST coach. It is you all that keep bringing him up.
[snapback]95740[/snapback]​

You may want to check you post on the second page of the thread.

:neener:

"You may want to check you post on the second page of the thread. "

BUSTED!!!!

Originally posted by Yay Vols@May 18, 2005 11:01 AM
If you say we struggled the most at the UT game, keep in mind the score, it was still very close. Its done, you guys won, I realize this. I just hate it when you chastise my team when it was a very close game. Then youre going to talk about class...
[snapback]95740[/snapback]​

All Bama/UT games are close, please check your history. However, I have never seen the column for "moral victories" listed in the record books.

In this series since '85 the average score is UT-24.15 & UA-23.35. This is and always will be a tight game. Also since '85 the series is 11-9 in favor of UT. (or 10-9-1 if you ignore the forfeit in 93). I have watched too many UT/Bama games to ever be able to predict the outcome. (except in '95 when I won $500 on that game! :rocks: )

Close or not, a loss is still a loss. Your moral victories jibberish puts you right up there with Vandy fans. Congratulations.

Originally posted by U-T@May 18, 2005 2:07 PM
UT almost won the SECCG too

Hey, we won it then!
[snapback]95839[/snapback]​

Then where's our Sugar Bowl trophy?! :angry:

VN Store

Back