PFF grades Jennings as a 1st round draft pick

If he went to those late twenty teams picking with established QBs, he'd be a devastating addition. I think I might take Jennings over any WR in the draft besides Jerudy (sic?)

Green Bay with Jennings? Houston with Jennings? Baltimore with Jennings? Some team will either be smart enough to take him in the late first or trade up real quick early second to get him.

Larry Fitzgerald 4.63
Jerry Rice 4.71
Cris Carter 4.63
Anquan Bolden 4.71
Chad Johnson 4.57

It's also worth mentioning there are countless 4.2, 4.3 guys that hardly ever see the field. Being a WR in the NFL has more to do with route running, blocking, and good hands than it does speed.
While you make a valid point. That Jerry Rice time, which is what pops up on google, doesn't have a source that I've seen. He's been reported to have been timed everywhere from 4.45 to 4.59.

Also not sure about the Larry Fitzgerald number. He didn't run at the combine despite what much of the internet says but he did run a 4.47-4.50 at his pro day.

Reactions: K-town Vol Fan
Burrow will be a bust. Tua will be a sure thing assuming he can stay healthy. Lawrence will be a hall of famer.
Are you serious? Tua hasn't showed up in any big games outside of that one pass against GA that got him overhyped. Burrow went through murderer's row this year and didn't skip a beat. He also doesn't have a history of bad ankles and busted hips. You wanna gamble millions on Tua? Go right ahead.

Are you serious? Tua hasn't showed up in any big games outside of that one pass against GA that got him overhyped. Burrow went through murderer's row this year and didn't skip a beat. He also doesn't have a history of bad ankles and busted hips. You wanna gamble millions on Tua? Go right ahead.

Lets not forget this...

LSU beat more top-10 teams (7) than any other team in history
LSU's offense scored more points that any other team in history
LSU's QB threw more touchdowns in one season than any other QB in history

I'd bet the farm on this guy were I a GM....

Reactions: Remy
Burrow's football IQ and accuracy are both insanely high. I also loved his answer to an interview question, he said that every receiver is open if the CB isn't looking.

This link gives you some idea how you just toss a fast guy on the outside as a WR is money, it's not. This link gives you some idea of WRs who did not blaze in the NFL combines. Jerry Rice never was timed at 4.71 as this link reports, that is an urban myth, however Bill Walsh his 49er coach was once quoted as stating Rice's forty time was a 4.58.

5 great receivers who posted slow times while running the 40

Therefore yes, JJ could go very very high in the draft IMO.

While you make a valid point. That Jerry Rice time, which is what pops up on google, doesn't have a source that I've seen. He's been reported to have been timed everywhere from 4.45 to 4.59.

Also not sure about the Larry Fitzgerald number. He didn't run at the combine despite what much of the internet says but he did run a 4.47-4.50 at his pro day.
Nice job on the research. I just searched for "best NFL WRs with slow 40 times" and posted what the article said. Pro day times are hand time I'm sure that makes a little difference. Either way I think JJ is fast enough to have a successful NFL career due to excelling at everything else that will be expected of him.

Exactly. Reason #1. He has a great arm, but he is a system quarterback that benefited from incredible receivers. And he won’t be able to run around and throw those bombs in the NFL.

Needed a good laugh. Brady is also a system QB. Worked out alright for him. Burrow throws better than Tua. As far as being mobile, it’s what the NFL is going to. He’s not incredibly fast, but if he remains accurate, he has some Rodgers type qualities with mobility. Your claim is ridiculous. Your talking about the guy that had quite possibly the best Collective collegiate year in history.

I have seen many many crazy posts here over the years...

But anybody who watches Burrow and didnt see that he hits his receivers IN THE HANDS OR NUMBERS on 95% of his throws...while throwing them open/leading them perfectly is insane. I have never seen ball placement accuracy like him in college. Ever. Never. Maybe that's why he just threw for 61TDs...breaking the all time record. His deep ball is INSANE...he missed 1 with an overthrow against Clemson . None against OK or Bama. None. Hands every time...on post routes that I have heard Peyton say on national TV are expected to complete 30% of the time . If we had a QB that could throw WR open HALF as good as him we win 10 games last year...maybe 11 with the bowl.

Tua is talented but not a cannon. If he can stay healthy he can make it as a pro IMO.

Lawrence will make an NFL starter...but those calling him a HOF player are waaaaay premature. He can run...but not as much in the pros. Strong arm...but not as accurate or as much touch as Burrow. He COULD develop into a pro bowl QB .. but he certainly could not. Time will tell. FWIW I like the kid.

Burrow-1st picked
Tua- Bust
Lawrence- Top tier eventually

I am surprised a bit. Not because I didn't think he was worthy, but rather I thought the NFL would downgrade him because of his lack of top end speed.
NFL would downgrade him because of his lack of top end speed.[/QUOTE]

He'll be an excellent possession receiver, not every receiver in the NFL has blazing speed. He won't be the guy to take the top off the defense but he will catch a lot of underneath routes.

Tua will be a bust at the next level. I am surprised to see Jennings so high. I thought he'd be a 3-4 round pick. We'll see. I think his speed knocks him down some.

Larry Fitzgerald 4.63
Jerry Rice 4.71
Cris Carter 4.63
Anquan Bolden 4.71
Chad Johnson 4.57

It's also worth mentioning there are countless 4.2, 4.3 guys that hardly ever see the field. Being a WR in the NFL has more to do with route running, blocking, and good hands than it does speed.

What you said is mostly true. Speed is not a requirement, but if you're slow (i.e. in the mid 4.5s or worse) you better be big/physical (Michael Thomas, Larry, Anquan) or have a GOAT throwing to you. Because you can be on your route, but if you have a terrible QB, a HoF career can quickly devolve into nothing.

However, to be fair, we can look at the current leader board, most of which are going to be 4.4 guys, some 4.5s, some 4.3s or the All-Time and it will show a similar story.

#1 Jerry Rice - definitely faster than 4.71. Parcells says he consistently ran mid-4.5s. Rice wasn't elite speed, but he was fast.
#2 Larry Fitz - monster.
#3 Terrell Owens - 4.41
#4 Randy Moss - 4.25
#5 Isaac Bruce - 4.48
#6 Tim Brown - 4.46
#7 Steve Smith - 4.37
#8 Marvin Harrison - 4.38
#9 Reggie Wayne - 4.45
#10 Andre Johnson - 4.39

So Gil Brandt, in his famous evaluation and reasoning behind formulating the 40, was right. "4.6 and slower has a 1% chance of making a Pro Bowl, and 4.4 is the benchmark for elite speed". I'd say those figures are shifting because that was in a time when most Safeties were 4.6 guys and LBs were oftentimes 4.7/4.8 guys. With a lot of LBs being sub 4.7 guys, your WRs have to have speed to stretch the field.

The 40 is not the one-all-end-all but it does showcase critical metrics like short-burst acceleration and how long it takes you to get to top speed and what that top speed is.

That's funny, but how good were the Colts when they drafted Peyton?
Better than the Bengals.

The Bengals were in the midst of the worst 10 year run in NFL history.

Peyton would have sat out and forced a trade before playing for the Bengals, just like Eli wouldn't play for San Diego.

BTW, there's nothing funny about being a Bengals fan. I was a kid when Boomer took them to the super bowl. My friends down the street were from Cincy & I watched the playoff run with them. Don't laugh at me. I didn't know any better.

It was much better than a good year.

Missing the point.....I think Burrow had a supernatural type of year....but he's NOT the best QB to every play in the SEC.
I like the kid, he's a hard worker, he's humble, he's smart, he can read defenses....and he's tough-nosed.
And he certainly should be the first QB taken in the NFL draft.

But one year does not a superstar make--too small of a sample size.
We saw that this year in Trevor Lawrence--who looked like a superstar last year in the regular season, playoffs, and NC game, too. .
But now we have a greater sample size from which to evaluate Lawrence.

However, if I were the Bengals GM.....I'd certainly float that #1 pick in 2020 around to see if I couldn't get multiple #1's in a Herschel Walker-type deal like Jimmy Johnson got from Minnesota back in the day.
Miami certainly has the first round picks to trade...and they NEED a QB.....

VN Store

Back