PFF grades Jennings as a 1st round draft pick

If JJ goes to an experienced team with a HC that can keep him "level-headed"...skys the limit for Jennings

I love JJ and would be thrilled if he went 1st round. That said receivers don't seem to be as much of a premium in the draft as are DE, DT, OT, QB. I would be very happy but also shocked if he were a first round pick.
I sure hope I am wrong. He sure has a lot of DOG in him which means he will be valuable to whoever gets him!

He deserves to be drafted but not so sure about the first round. Regardless, JJ will have a nice payday and an opportunity to play on Sunday. Best of luck.

I love Jauan, don't get me wrong... but, this is crazy.

He runs a 4.62 40. That is flat out SLOW for a WR. The ONLY position that he can play in the NFL is as a slot, possession receiver. He cannot, I repeat cannot possibly play as a true split-end WR, because he simply cannot stretch the field and any CB would be able to simply blanket him.

Can he catch the 50/50 balls? Absolutely. But that is hardly a mainstay in the pros.

Jauan's got heart, great intangibles, strong hands and a great team player, but, there is no way on God's green earth that he should go in the 1st round.

But... I hope he proves me wrong.
Larry Fitzgerald 4.63
Jerry Rice 4.71
Cris Carter 4.63
Anquan Bolden 4.71
Chad Johnson 4.57

It's also worth mentioning there are countless 4.2, 4.3 guys that hardly ever see the field. Being a WR in the NFL has more to do with route running, blocking, and good hands than it does speed.

Exactly. Reason #1. He has a great arm, but he is a system quarterback that benefited from incredible receivers. And he won’t be able to run around and throw those bombs in the NFL.

And Lamar Jackson is what exactly? He’s the MVP because Greg Roman adjusted his system to fit his skill set. He ain’t winning the MVP in a Saints uniform or about 95% of the other teams in the NFL.

Hopefully JJ gets in with a good organization that can see his value as one of the best utility players in the draft. He’s a football player. He’s Hines Ward IMO.

I hope that's true... incredible if it is. Someone seems to see something past a 40 time.

I think Jauan Jennings could be switched to TE and he could be another Kellen Winslow Sr
He'd need to gain at least 30 pounds, and I suspect that he would lose much of what makes him great if he goes from facing cornerbacks to linebackers. Don't get me wrong. I know he wouldn't back down, but he's special in part because he can simply overpower his opposition. That's not happening with a position change. I have a hard time seeing him as a first round pick, and it's not just because of his speed. He also has too many drops, and I think his route running needs to improve. In addition, he's probably the fourth best receiver in the draft at best.

I love Jauan, don't get me wrong... but, this is crazy.

He runs a 4.62 40. That is flat out SLOW for a WR. The ONLY position that he can play in the NFL is as a slot, possession receiver. He cannot, I repeat cannot possibly play as a true split-end WR, because he simply cannot stretch the field and any CB would be able to simply blanket him.

Can he catch the 50/50 balls? Absolutely. But that is hardly a mainstay in the pros.

Jauan's got heart, great intangibles, strong hands and a great team player, but, there is no way on God's green earth that he should go in the 1st round.

But... I hope he proves me wrong.

It is good to have speed, but it is not always the most important skill for a WR. Getting open is the biggest obstacle for a WR against a defender and JJ did that at the highest level of CFB against SEC competition. He has great hands and gets YAC. It is true, he is not a burner and will not house every 7-yard hitch route, but he runs over defenders & is not easy to tackle at all. There have been many WR with average speed and great speed that have excelled in the NFL & others who have not done squat. Whoever signs JJ will be landing a quality football player. Good for him if he is a 1st rounder.

That's exactly what I have been saying, I wouldn't take Tua at all

And abusing people with 5* WRs that run 4.25 (Ruggs)-4.4 40s (DaVonta Smith, Jeudy, Ridley) with slant passes and hitch routes will only take you so far. Tua has never had any less than high 4*-5* talent at WR that are usually physical freaks as well as being blocked by what is usually one of the best OLs in college football.

That's going to come to a crashing halt if he gets picked up by the Dolphins. Burrow was blocked for by 3*-low 4* players and Chase was a mid-4* and Justin Jefferson was a nobody low-3*. Moss, his TE was a high 3*. His #3 WR was a 5* sophomore, that's it.

Pretty big gap in talent between what Burrow had around him and what Tua had. Almost all of LSU's talent (at least in talent coming out of high school) was on the defense.

Reactions: volfanjustin
Exactly. Reason #1. He has a great arm, but he is a system quarterback that benefited from incredible receivers. And he won’t be able to run around and throw those bombs in the NFL.
You may be on your own here pal. Great system? Yes. Great receivers? Yes. Great quarterback? Also Yes.

There's been a lot of great systems and great receivers come through college football... but only ONE quarterback has EVER thrown for 60 TOUCHDOWNS and he did it AGAINST THE BEST DEFENSES IN THE COUNTRY.

Think about this - He competed against Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and Oklahoma and in those games he threw 19 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. That's basically 5 touchdowns per game over the course of 4 games against some the best teams in the country. Oh and against Florida (#9 in total defense) he went 21 of 24 for 3 TDs and 0 INTs... and you think he did all that because he has good receivers? Naw dude.

And abusing people with 5* WRs that run 4.25 (Ruggs)-4.4 40s (DaVonta Smith, Jeudy, Ridley) with slant passes and hitch routes will only take you so far. Tua has never had any less than high 4*-5* talent at WR that are usually physical freaks as well as being blocked by what is usually one of the best OLs in college football.

That's going to come to a crashing halt if he gets picked up by the Dolphins. Burrow was blocked for by 3*-low 4* players and Chase was a mid-4* and Justin Jefferson was a nobody low-3*. Moss, his TE was a high 3*. His #3 WR was a 5* sophomore, that's it.

Pretty big gap in talent between what Burrow had around him and what Tua had. Almost all of LSU's talent (at least in talent coming out of high school) was on the defense.
Both receiving groups for bama and LSU were elite this year. I think both Burrow and Tua will have solid careers.

Larry Fitzgerald 4.63
Jerry Rice 4.71
Cris Carter 4.63
Anquan Bolden 4.71
Chad Johnson 4.57

It's also worth mentioning there are countless 4.2, 4.3 guys that hardly ever see the field. Being a WR in the NFL has more to do with route running, blocking, and good hands than it does speed.

Wow. I'm shocked.

I withdraw my comment altogether.

JJ has an incredible first move that creates separation. He reminds me of Jerry Rice. And once he gets the ball in his hands, he’s as good as it gets. Plus he’s an incredible route runner.

You may be on your own here pal. Great system? Yes. Great receivers? Yes. Great quarterback? Also Yes.

There's been a lot of great systems and great receivers come through college football... but only ONE quarterback has EVER thrown for 60 TOUCHDOWNS and he did it AGAINST THE BEST DEFENSES IN THE COUNTRY.

Think about this - He competed against Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and Oklahoma and in those games he threw 19 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. That's basically 5 touchdowns per game over the course of 4 games against some the best teams in the country. Oh and against Florida (#9 in total defense) he went 21 of 24 for 3 TDs and 0 INTs... and you think he did all that because he has good receivers? Naw dude.

^^^^^^This is spot on correct. Burrow will kill it in the NFL

Reactions: lifeisdeep

VN Store

Back