Pete Thamel: Tim Banks finalizing deal for DC

we'll end up paying Steele to leave - if he was going to be on staff, he would have been DC but I think he thought he would become HC (probably a deal made with Fulmer)
Exactly,The Sports Source guys said yesterday administration was hoping Steele would find another job to cushion a buyout.

Reactions: feathersax
I thought we lost some impetus in recruiting northeast from Virginia upward with releasing Osovet. This move counters it somewhat. I seem to remember Willis considering Penn State...so more of similar would be good.

Butch Jones' old guy, awesome. Just what we wanted. There's nothing better than hiring a co-defensive coordinator over an actual defensive coordinator. Go Vols!

Just checked 2020 team defense. Penn state 17, Tennessee out of top 50. Improvement is good. Understand we have a tough schedule. If JG is gone, that is a big problem solved. I’m good with most current coaches being considered.

Micah Parsons was recruited and coached by Banks at Penn State. Parsons is considered the number 1 defensive guy (not just linebacker) in this years draft and expected to be a top 5 pick.

Parsons did sit out this season due to Covid and that Penn State defensive was definitely not the same.

Like others, I'm a little concerned about the co-DC thing and also if he is good with the defensive hires already made like Garner.
I'm excited to see how this plays out and glad to have you here Coach Banks.
Parsons was recruited by Pry and Spencer. I thought Banks was the Safeties coach, no mention of him coaching the LBs?

Kinda feels like an affirmative action type higher had heard that upper admin wasn't wanting more diversity on staff.
Matt house allegedly almost took the job last night, I don't know if you've seen him, but he isn't meeting any affirmative action quotas. I think they were just wanting to find a good fit.

I think the reason Steele was not named DC is because his style doesn’t pair up very well with the style of offense JH will be running. He wants an attacking, aggressive defense that can get turnovers and “splash” plays that will give his offense another opportunity with the ball. He isn’t planning on having statistically great defenses, but hoping they can make turnovers or key stops at the right time. Apparently, JH doesn’t think KS runs the type of defense that complements his offense best.
Yes.

But this is an interesting possibility: what if Steele is named head defensive analyst, in charge of breaking down and understanding future opponents?

I mean, his skill set may not be ideal for the kind of quick-paced, opportunistic defense Heupel wants to run...but maybe his skill set IS ideal for explaining and preparing our players for the SEC teams they're going to run into week after week.

I have seen no indicators that will be Steele's job, just kind of hoping. I can certainly see the value in him being the guy in charge of our scout team defense, our film prep for the offense (showing the foe's defense), and our reverse engineering the other team's defensive playbook.

I think he might just be brilliant in that role.

Honestly don’t know anything about PSU other than their HC and color of their uniforms. Used the cut & paste reply for KS because there are still many wondering why he wasn’t named the DC, and this seems to be the most plausible reason.

Reply to Hubbard post #300.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter who the defensive coordinator is our front seven is a joke, and we need edge rushers all day long!!!!!!
What are you even trying to say? If this is not blue font, then we should forego hiring a defensive coordinator and try to create a couple of edge rushers? In what plane of existence does this make sense? Should said edge rushers call the plays? If Big Cat actually does transfer to us, there is your edge rusher.

While that number is telling, the number of players with that ranking ending up in the NFL would indicate the original rankings were off, he can really coach somebody up, or both, he has the talent to find a diamond in the rough and polish it..... I just ope whichever, he continues to get our guys in the NFL.
Talked to a friend who is a Penn State fan and follows every detail of their program very closely. Said he’s very good with player development and X’s and O’s, while more average in terms of recruiting. Thinks he will be a very good DC for us. Said he turns a lot of 3 stars into solid starters.

VN Store

Back