Pete Thamel: Tim Banks finalizing deal for DC

So to upgrade his experience we should give him a coach that we fired for giving up tons of yards at the end of games and has a questionable moral compass? Maybe we should just let the people that know about football decide what is best.
Defense actually got better with him year over year and then immediately had a worse year after he left. Top 20 D his last year here. I think we’d love to have that back actually.

Defense actually got better with him year over year and then immediately had a worse year after he left. Top 20 D his last year here. I think we’d love to have that back actually.
I still have some nightmares about his defense at the end of games. And of course there are other rumors about why he was fired. Let’s move on.

Anyone convincing himself that this is a good hire is a damn fool.
The fool is the one that won’t give the man a chance. Is he a great hire? A good hire? Or the worst hire ever? Who knows? He may turn out to be the “best thing since sliced bread”. But give the man a chance.

Last edited:
Looks at current roster...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Office Space is a damn good movie.

I like it a lot.

Also, watch the same people who said this needed to get done quickly (for no reason whatsoever) now complain that it's the wrong person.
You just can’t make some folks happy. I for one and fairly happy with the staff JH and DW has put together, especially seeing the horrible situation facing UT. We still have some talent, just need to be coached up, something that has been missing here for over a decade. It is going to be a wild ride.

What are you even trying to say? If this is not blue font, then we should forego hiring a defensive coordinator and try to create a couple of edge rushers? In what plane of existence does this make sense? Should said edge rushers call the plays? If Big Cat actually does transfer to us, there is your edge rusher.
What I'm trying to say is our talent is pathetic compared to the top-tier schools it doesn't matter who the damn DC is

Reactions: photovol
Not really impressed, not really upset either. Willing to give him a chance. Can't be any worse than last year.

Reactions: OllVol
I looked up his recruiting rankings on 247 sports. Blah. Currently ranked 44th. Ranking in 50's and 60's over the past couple of years. Never near the top of PSU recruiters during that time. After that nothing in the top 200 going back to 2018. He better be a hell of a coach and player development guy. Certainly unimpressed with what I've seen of his recruiting.

You better read again. He was top PSU recruiter in 2021 and a notch better than Al Washington! He was number 11 recruiter in Big 10 in 2020 and 2021, top at PSU in 2021, number 3 on staff in 2020. Yes, it isn't the SEC. But, he may be able to have the same success in the SEC given the chance which he now has. Number 11 out of about 110 plus recruiters in the Big Ten puts him in the top 10% in the Big 10 the last 2 years!

Last edited:
Reactions: volfan8
Talked to a friend who is a Penn State fan and follows every detail of their program very closely. Said he’s very good with player development and X’s and O’s, while more average in terms of recruiting. Thinks he will be a very good DC for us. Said he turns a lot of 3 stars into solid starters.

To couple with that, I pinged a couple of diehard PSU fans and both replied the same thing: “Great hire”. Not sure if he’ll translate to a DC role, but I’m optimistic.

VN Store

Back