Per Hyams - Tennessee shut down due to Covid

So, YOU caught it from your Daughter and then spread it to your workplace...Did I read that right or what?
Nope. Not in the least. I specifically said we've had ZERO transmissions at work. NONE. Guys working in a 12X12 room in one particular case for 12 hour shifts. No transmissions at work.

My wife, son, and I caught it from my daughter at home after she caught it from one of two co-workers.

I hate when people use statistics like this to argue that the severity of the virus is overblown. So what point are we making here? That people over 65 years old don't matter?
That they should take appropriate precautions and they aren't playing college football

That they should take appropriate precautions and they aren't playing college football

So basically if you're over 65 the message to expect from the rest of us should be, "we hate it for you and you should take precaution but don't expect us to do any of the heavy lifting to try and help keep you safe."

I hate when people use statistics like this to argue that the severity of the virus is overblown. So what point are we making here? That people over 65 years old don't matter?

No, that younger folks with demi-god mindsets will continue to be the spreader. That mindset is what perpetuates the virus to the elderly, and ultimately making it difficult to erradicate.

Here's the deal...

Ignore the virus, it wins.
Follow simple guidelines, it loses.

Quarantining less than 10 days (14 is better) is a loser.

If everyone, at any point since March 2020, would have (or would in the future) follow the simple guidelines of masking, 6 feet distancing, and washing hands for 2 weeks, this would have been (and will be) over. Don't do it and it won't until you either get the disease or get vaccinated.

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Argue all you want but biology wins the argument.

Except Fauci just came out and said that 3ft was acceptable in a classroom. LOL.

Bama had a bunch of cases early in Fall camp including Mac Jones and almost every offensive lineman. It worked out okay.

Just follow the protocols and be glad it's happened so early.

Here's the deal...

Ignore the virus, it wins.
Follow simple guidelines, it loses.

Quarantining less than 10 days (14 is better) is a loser.

If everyone, at any point since March 2020, would have (or would in the future) follow the simple guidelines of masking, 6 feet distancing, and washing hands for 2 weeks, this would have been (and will be) over. Don't do it and it won't until you either get the disease or get vaccinated.

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Argue all you want but biology wins the argument.
Masks have had NO impact on the spread of the virus. We have that data now. The % of usage does not stop or lessen spikes when they hit a community.

The impact of the quarantines is unknown. There may never be data to prove or disprove the effectiveness.

Biology does win the argument. The most important thing is the thing that is not talked about- viral load. Almost everyone has the capacity to fight off low exposure to viruses including Covid. Masks have not proven to be effective in preventing viral load in close or closed spaces. They are of minimal value in places with good ventilation and large volumes of air.

There was NEVER a time when those three things would have stopped the virus. They still won't.

OTOH... airlines including the time before masks were required have had about 3 dozen transmissions out of around 1.3 billion travelers. Infected people... on a plane bunched together with Covid readily escaping around masks and running through the HVAC system... and virtually no transmission. For decades, airliners have had requirements for air exchange and have employed HEPA filters.

If effective air filtration and increased air exchange had been made a requirement for restaurants, offices, schools, and other places where people are vulnerable... this might have been over. It would have been much less.

I still wear a mask when I go to crowded places, because (a) 5% chance you're not covered, even with vaccine (the best vaccines are 95% effective, not 100%), and (b) it reassures the people who haven't yet gotten the chance at a vaccine.

Costs me next to nothing to add that little extra bit of protection and significant (for some) extra reassurance. No-brainer.

Amen JP. And from what I read the vaccines don’t prevent you from still being a carrier of the virus.

So basically if you're over 65 the message to expect from the rest of us should be, "we hate it for you and you should take precaution but don't expect us to do any of the heavy lifting to try and help keep you safe."
The message is they should stay out of UT football practice for the time being or wear a mask. Also you are responsible for your personal health

I still wear a mask when I go to crowded places, because (a) 5% chance you're not covered, even with vaccine (the best vaccines are 95% effective, not 100%), and (b) it reassures the people who haven't yet gotten the chance at a vaccine.

Costs me next to nothing to add that little extra bit of protection and significant (for some) extra reassurance. No-brainer.
I wear rubbers for that exact reason, you know in case it rains.

OK, Good deal!

Nope. Not in the least. I specifically said we've had ZERO transmissions at work. NONE. Guys working in a 12X12 room in one particular case for 12 hour shifts. No transmissions at work.

My wife, son, and I caught it from my daughter at home after she caught it from one of two co-workers.

At first I thought this was about the basketball team and was mortified.

Still.

These protocols ARE AN AFFRONT TO THE LOGIC THAT WE HUMANS EVOLVED OVER MILLIONS OF YEARS.

It's beyond stupid at this point.

Can we give it a rest? We are all slaves to nonsense.

I have a cousin (20's) who didn't care about the health of others and infected my 93 yr old Grandmother and she died. I wouldn't want to live with that guilt.

Reactions: AM64 and Vol524
We have our excuses when we start out 1-3

" we didn't get a spring practice due to covid" or " QB didn't get enough snaps. That's why he is struggling"

Thanks for the advice, Doctor. :rolleyes:

I mean, I was all set to listen to actual medical professionals and public health experts, but your ALL CAPS and multiple exclamation points has changed my mind!!!!!
Yeah... because those "professionals" and "experts" have done such a fine job, right?

Fauci has tacitly admitted that they've withheld information to manipulate people. When honest early on, he stated that masks would be ineffective against Covid. He waffled a few times then started preaching masks. The results since... say he was right to start with. Masks have not stopped spikes. Masks have not slowed or mitigated spikes. But masks have been the central tenet of their "plan" to survive until the vaccines came out.... Vaccines that several of them including Fauci have a financial interest in.

The players are reading your negative posts and are feeling discouraged from practicing proper hygiene and social distancing! Shame on you people!

Golfballs? Sometimes, i want to look down on you, and yell "FORE!"

I have a cousin (20's) who didn't care about the health of others and infected my 93 yr old Grandmother and she died. I wouldn't want to live with that guilt.
If you are saying they infected her by not wearing a mask then the mounting evidence says you are wrong. They should have stayed away if that was the concern.

Sorry for your loss. My father in law who had a long history of lung disease died after catching Covid. He did not come in direct contact with the son who gave it to him. He lived in the son's basement and apparently caught it through the HVAC system.

I know it says that we'll be open in time for spring practice, but nothing is ever certain with covid. I could see this getting extended if others get it. Hope not, we're gonna need as much practice time as possible before the season starts, especially learning a new system.

Masks have had NO impact on the spread of the virus. We have that data now. The % of usage does not stop or lessen spikes when they hit a community.

The impact of the quarantines is unknown. There may never be data to prove or disprove the effectiveness.

Biology does win the argument. The most important thing is the thing that is not talked about- viral load. Almost everyone has the capacity to fight off low exposure to viruses including Covid. Masks have not proven to be effective in preventing viral load in close or closed spaces. They are of minimal value in places with good ventilation and large volumes of air.

There was NEVER a time when those three things would have stopped the virus. They still won't.

OTOH... airlines including the time before masks were required have had about 3 dozen transmissions out of around 1.3 billion travelers. Infected people... on a plane bunched together with Covid readily escaping around masks and running through the HVAC system... and virtually no transmission. For decades, airliners have had requirements for air exchange and have employed HEPA filters.

If effective air filtration and increased air exchange had been made a requirement for restaurants, offices, schools, and other places where people are vulnerable... this might have been over. It would have been much less.

Turtles all the way down...

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

Let's break it down more.

You and some dude are standing there naked. He pee-pees and some splashes on you.
Let's say then you happen to be wearing pants. When he pee-pees, only a little gets on you.
Now, just for kicks, let's say both of you are wearing pants. He pee-pees...you stay completely dry!

See? That's how masks work.

It's the reality of the situation. Covid isn't ever going away, we can all either live in lockdown over it forever or we can get back with our lives. It's sad, but we can't keep forcing everyone to do this forever.

Turtles all the way down...
Some Prussian Army chief of staff said, like 100 years ago, something along these lines:

-- The intelligent who is also energetic will make an excellent General Staff officer.
-- The intelligent who is lazy, make him a field commander; he will excel at delegating less important tasks and focusing on the important.
-- The stupid who is lazy is fine as a soldier.
-- But the stupid who is energetic, get rid of him immediately; he can do untold harm.

Reactions: Rickyvol77 and AM64

VN Store

Back