Pearl is Barnes’s nightmare

This is on point.... Pearl's teams are never fundamentally sound but they sure can make the game look fun
Huh?
Pearls teams are great ball handlers, motion well, screen well, and he made a living drawing up inbounds defense. How is that not fundamental?

The closer you get to March the game changes. Listen to the Calipari interview. Beating a team like Gonzaga early in the year is great but really good teams have an 11 on their dial, and they do not burn themselves out early in the year. They pace themselves. Barnes has done a remarkable job with this team, but it isn’t a mystery why they look worse now than they did earlier in the year. The team was amazing in the comeback against UK, but it was apparent that they were done at that point. Nothing left in the tank.

You do remember the coach that took us to our ONLY Elite 8 don't you? Thanks Bruce!

I can see you have a hard on for Bruce Pearl.

It’s ok, I’m sure he’ll invite you to one of his BBQ’s this summer.

There’s plenty of room to hop on the Auburn bandwagon.

Reactions: k-town_king
Pearl recruits guards who can shoot the ball and lets them go haywire. That’s all there is to it.

If they’re not hitting their shots, their game plan isn’t executed.

Pearl’s type of offense is good enough to win in your conference but when it comes to playing multiple good teams in the big dance, it’s not as effective, especially if they guard the three well.

Only reason why Pearl is being brought up so much because there’s Vol fans still hung up on him and wishes he was still our coach even though he started our downfall.

It’s not like Pearl brought final fours and beat Kentucky consistently while he was here.

Just stupid for the most part.
Pearl was 9-4 vs Kentucky while at Tennessee. What is your definition of consistent?

Huh?
Pearls teams are great ball handlers, motion well, screen well, and he made a living drawing up inbounds defense. How is that not fundamental?

The closer you get to March the game changes. Listen to the Calipari interview. Beating a team like Gonzaga early in the year is great but really good teams have an 11 on their dial, and they do not burn themselves out early in the year. They pace themselves. Barnes has done a remarkable job with this team, but it isn’t a mystery why they look worse now than they did earlier in the year. The team was amazing in the comeback against UK, but it was apparent that they were done at that point. Nothing left in the tank.

Pearl has relied on some great shooters. Yes, it’s part of the game, but they had several trips where they ran no offense, chucked up a three, and made it.

His team relies on spacing, shooting, and “hands on” defense. It works at times, and it doesn’t work at times. I wouldn’t exactly call him a fundamental coach. It is fun to watch when they are on.

We had too many turnovers today and that played right into Auburn's hands plus it is very hard to defend every 3 point shot consistently.
Add our lack of rebounding to those turnovers and that's the recipe for disaster. Even before the game ended AU had 21 points off of our T/O's.

Tell it like it is. I agree.
I have to admit I wouldn't mind seeing CRB getting aggressive off the bench once in awhile when obvious bad calls are made. At times he does jump a players butt over bad plays and does bring it to their attention. Still the team has to perform and recruit at a better level. UT is currently better off with CRB and looks to continue. UT should go deeper into the tournament than AU but this win against UT may fire them up even more. They have good confidence at present and Pearl is smart enough to use it to their advantage.

Reactions: Big time vol
Same here, and Pearl would crawl back to Knoxville if he was ever offered this job. I love Barnes but do think he is weak with in game coaching and making adjustments. His nest asset is developing players, however, he's even struggling with that with Pons, Kent, JJ, Walker and even Fulkerson to some extent.
If he chose to develop these players at a faster pace it would likely cost us some wins. The solution would be to get big leads on teams and then get these up and coming players on the court more often. UT has a problem holding leads much less stretching leads. They simply become passive/complacent right before our eyes many times. That needs to be coached out of them.

Reactions: Big time vol
I have to admit I wouldn't mind seeing CRB getting aggressive off the bench once in awhile when obvious bad calls are made. At times he does jump a players butt over bad plays and does bring it to their attention. Still the team has to perform and recruit at a better level. UT is currently better off with CRB and looks to continue. UT should go deeper into the tournament than AU but this win against UT may fire them up even more. They have good confidence at present and Pearl is smart enough to use it to their advantage.

People in the game thread were crapping all over Barnes in the UK game for not getting a tech. Yet we came back and won, and if he had gotten a tech that would likely be 2-4 more points we would have had to overcome. So in the end, Barnes not going off paid off.

And if he had done that, the same people complaining he was "just sitting there" would have crapped on him for "losing his cool" and costing the team a win.

Personally, I don't get the obsession with a segment of fans (not necessarily you but in general) who want Barnes to rant and rave on the sidelines. It's like they need Barnes to act like they are feeling to make themselves feel better. It usually accomplishes nothing. And sure you can say "Cal and Will Wade do it"...great, I have pretty much no respect for either of those clowns.

Everybody cheats or has cheated. Pearl is not good at not getting caught. But he is a damn good basketball coach and he owns Barnes head to head.

Lol, 6-4 is owning huh? Some of you are ridiculous.
Yes, he owns him. It's a hard pill to swallow but it's true. Pearl has stolen two outright championships and shared championship in the last two years. That is taking somebody behind the wood shed and then some. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Pearl is better overall just that Barnes struggles with his style of play.

VN Store

Back