PC Graphics card discussion

Are games on a desktop better than a console? processing better?
If you have a good enough system, yes. Games look amazing on PS5, but they have to make compromises. If you want the best looking experience possible you have to sacrifice FPS. If you want the smoothest experience possible you have to sacrifice texture quality or live without fancy features like ray tracing. A computer like BC's will play everything that a PS5 can play at higher visual quality and more FPS at the same time (edit: generally, but that goes for every PC) plus every single graphics option can be changed to provide whatever gaming experience you want.

I would wait a while before building a new rig, especially if I was looking to go Intel. The 12 series use a lot of power and get really hot. This is gen1 of DDR5, and I usually give at least a generation or two for the manufacturers to get everything ironed out. Also, GPU availability is a mess.
I got a RTX3080Ti from EVGA because I was luckily paying attention when they opened the queues and was able to get in on launch day.
I put that in my new build with a 5900X, AMD Dark Hero, 32 GB 3800mhz RAM, 2TB NVMe, 2TB SSD and it has been a huge upgrade from the 4770/GTX 1060 I had been running.
PC gaming is always preferable for me just due to large community of modders. Also, with PC I only need to buy the PC version, not the Xbox One version and then the Xbox Series X version when I inevitably have to upgrade.

Reactions: orangotango
I would wait a while before building a new rig, especially if I was looking to go Intel. The 12 series use a lot of power and get really hot. This is gen1 of DDR5, and I usually give at least a generation or two for the manufacturers to get everything ironed out. Also, GPU availability is a mess.
I got a RTX3080Ti from EVGA because I was luckily paying attention when they opened the queues and was able to get in on launch day.
I put that in my new build with a 5900X, AMD Dark Hero, 32 GB 3800mhz RAM, 2TB NVMe, 2TB SSD and it has been a huge upgrade from the 4770/GTX 1060 I had been running.
PC gaming is always preferable for me just due to large community of modders. Also, with PC I only need to buy the PC version, not the Xbox One version and then the Xbox Series X version when I inevitably have to upgrade.
That's some rig you've got. And yes, modding is the best.

Matt Swider on Twitter is the guy to follow for restock info. He gets GPU, PS5 and Xbox info out almost the moment it happens.

Reactions: BearCat204
So, I learned something a week ago. There are dummy RAM sticks that you can buy and install like any other RAM and gives you the RGB RAM look, but here is the kicker…..it’s not RAM. As I said before it’s dummy RAM. It’s not actually RAM. It just looks like RAM. And they sell for like $20-30 cheaper than the actual RAM versions. People buy this stuff lol.

I had to join this convo.

Ryzen 9 5950x
EVGA 3090 Hybrid
32GB CL15 DDR4 PC4000 ram
Crosshair Hero VIII Dark MB
1 360mm rad and 1 240 mm rad
2TB 980 EVO SSD

I mostly sim race in VR at 4k

Reactions: CubsFanTN
So, I learned something a week ago. There are dummy RAM sticks that you can buy and install like any other RAM and gives you the RGB RAM look, but here is the kicker…..it’s not RAM. As I said before it’s dummy RAM. It’s not actually RAM. It just looks like RAM. And they sell for like $20-30 cheaper than the actual RAM versions. People buy this stuff lol.
Now I love purdy lights in my case as much as the next guy, but 20-30 dollars cheaper sounds like its really not worth it.

Reactions: tbwhhs
Man, this has changed the game for me lol. MMOs are so much easier for me now. Just love this product #corsair 010C2655-FA8E-4256-A07A-BB43758CA8A9.jpeg

I have a Razer Naga I used when I played Elder Scrolls Online.

By the way, where did you buy your prebuilt and what brand did you get?
I originally bought a H1 NZXT, but hated the case. So I sold everything but the GPU and CPU and bought the rest and put in a Corsair 4000d and built myself. Ended up spending more than I should have but still got a good bit back from selling the case with I’m the included AIO and Mobo. Only have a 3060ti but that will do me until I can find a 3080 somewhere

I originally bought a H1 NZXT, but hated the case. So I sold everything but the GPU and CPU and bought the rest and put in a Corsair 4000d and built myself. Ended up spending more than I should have but still got a good bit back from selling the case with I’m the included AIO and Mobo. Only have a 3060ti but that will do me until I can find a 3080 somewhere
Yeah it seems like finding a 3080 is a lost cause. That’s why I’m considering the prebuilt. I’ve found a couple at Best Buy online but I really hate to not get exactly what I want, like you with the case.

Are you running 4K/60?

Yeah it seems like finding a 3080 is a lost cause. That’s why I’m considering the prebuilt. I’ve found a couple at Best Buy online but I really hate to not get exactly what I want, like you with the case.

Are you running 4K/60?
I dont ever try 4k, although I am sure my card can handle it. I run 1440p exclusively as I cant tell a huge difference at all between that and 4k. On Halo I run nearly Ultra (couple of settings I put down to Very High) at 1440p and run around 80-100 fps. If I drop that down to all Very High, they I normally get around 100-110

Reactions: Freak
I had to join this convo.

Ryzen 9 5950x
EVGA 3090 Hybrid
32GB CL15 DDR4 PC4000 ram
Crosshair Hero VIII Dark MB
1 360mm rad and 1 240 mm rad
2TB 980 EVO SSD

I mostly sim race in VR at 4k
Nice!
How is the 980? I went with the WD850. Also are you using DOCP or do you have your RAM timings manual? I was nervous looking at the 4000mhz sticks since none were on the QVL, nor supported for AMD per the sites. Also I wanted B-die, so that further limited me.
I am jealous of your water cooling and 3090.

Really wanting to add RGB any way I can to my 3060 ti FE (does not have any now). Looking around I saw a lot of advertisements for custom RGB GPU backplates and thought maybe something like that would be cool to add. Was curious if there were RGB backplates you could add to a card that currently does not have any RGB lighting at all? Also, anyone have any suggestions as far as where to go to get one done? Thanks

Really wanting to add RGB any way I can to my 3060 ti FE (does not have any now). Looking around I saw a lot of advertisements for custom RGB GPU backplates and thought maybe something like that would be cool to add. Was curious if there were RGB backplates you could add to a card that currently does not have any RGB lighting at all? Also, anyone have any suggestions as far as where to go to get one done? Thanks
Backplates Archives - V1 Tech
These have addressable LEDs and work independently of your GPU. They just plug into a 3-pin header.

Reactions: BearCat204
I’m just going to stick it out until the 4000-series cards come out. Going to be a huge jump (again) in performance. Of course I’m sure the same supply issues will happen again.

Reactions: t3hrex

VN Store

Back