PC Graphics card discussion

In other words, I’m getting less than my ideal targeted frame rate and I’m not sure why. I'd like to be able to look at my system and figure out what I'm bumping up against, but I'm not smart enough. lol.

Last edited:
In other words, I’m getting less than my ideal targeted frame rate and I’m not sure why. I'd like to be able to look at my system and figure out what I'm bumping up against, but I'm not smart enough. lol.
Some things to check off your list:
Drivers up to date?
Sufficient disk space?
Closed all "memory hog" applications through Task Manager?
Adequate power supply - have you updated hardware recently, namely your GPU?
Turned on/off in game settings, particularly V-Sync & Anti-Aliasing (SSAA, MSAA, FXAA)?

Drivers up to date?
Sufficient disk space?
Turned on/off in game settings, particularly V-Sync & Anti-Aliasing (SSAA, MSAA, FXAA)?
I'm not sure whether my power supply could be the issue, but I've checked all the other stuff.

I went down this rabbit hole because the game didn't feel like it was running smoothly. Editing the config file to enable DX12 has helped quite a bit, but I'm still curious and would like to figure out how to tell what's limiting the system in certain circumstances. I've been messing around with some of the monitoring tools in RTSS, trying to learn what's what.

Drivers up to date?
Sufficient disk space?
I remember you sold your graphics card. Did you replace it with anything? Just curious what you're running now.

I'm not sure whether my power supply could be the issue, but I've checked all the other stuff.

I went down this rabbit hole because the game didn't feel like it was running smoothly. Editing the config file to enable DX12 has helped quite a bit, but I'm still curious and would like to figure out how to tell what's limiting the system in certain circumstances. I've been messing around with some of the monitoring tools in RTSS, trying to learn what's what.
Could be a game-specific or game/hardware issue that isn't necessarily due to not having enough power. I would Google "game name FPS issues" and see what others are saying. I remember having an issue with Fallout 4 of all things - there were certain places in the map where FPS would drop huge amounts and it ended up being an issue with higher end Nvidia cards and I had to edit some game files to correct it. If you want to get into more specifics feel free to let me know.

I’m not having performance issues exactly, just trying to maximize frame rate. It seems as though with nothing maxed I could squeeze out more performance.

Probably a game engine problem then. Some games just aren't optimized to use all of your CPU or GPU properly.

What RAM are you using? I've seen 'slow' RAM be the bottleneck. Doesn't matter how much CPU/GPU horsepower you have if it is starved for data. You could try overclocking the RAM and see if that yields a positive increase in FPS.

Reactions: Freak
What RAM are you using? I've seen 'slow' RAM be the bottleneck. Doesn't matter how much CPU/GPU horsepower you have if it is starved for data. You could try overclocking the RAM and see if that yields a positive increase in FPS.
I think RAM speed is a possibility, but I'm not sure how to tell for sure.

Nice!

What's the rest of your setup looking like?
Ryzen 9 5950x
MSI Suprim 3090 Ti
64GB Corsair Vengeance 3600
NZXT N7 B550 Mobo
Corsair iCue Elite Capellix 360 (7 total Corsair LL120s)
Corsair HX 1200 PSU
Corsair 5000d Airflow

With the VOLS setup for the next few months, obviously:
VOLS.jpg
VOLS2.jpg

VN Store

Back