Payton Verhulst

You beat me to it! Lol I was just compiling some stuff for her. She played in VA and is a BALLER!!! I wish Kellie would get in on this girl she would fit in seamlessly and contribute at the pg position!

This photo is on her twitter page
ESrM8OLX0AAtNVD

We are going to miss out on more recruits than we get. That’s just how that works. I like our targets on paper (Striplin).
Yes and someone on this site pointed out Coach is going up against programs that have been recruiting these players for years. I will Be disappointed if we do not get a point guard and power forward like the young lady from Canada, L. Lattimore.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
We need a class of five in 2021. Key and Puckett are players that I feel we have a great chance for and of course we need a point guard. Everyone on the board that has Tennessee as an option is a player we need or we wouldn't be recruiting them. Hopefully we get four or five of them.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
of course we need a point guard.
We do? Didn't we just hand the keys to a sophomore? Are we now looking for someone who wants to be backup the next three years? That would probably rule out elite pg recruits.

I need major clarity (which I doubt I'll get) on a big question: did Jaz leave bc KJH decided JH is the pg of the future? JM's departure is SO mysterious, the only real clue being the always reliable Deer Park saying it was bc of a difference in approach to the role of pg btw coach and player. If (big if) KJH decided she's rather having a scoring pg than a good ball handler and is fully invested in JH as pg, it may be hard to get an elite recruit to be a 3yr backup.

If indeed the decision has been made to go with JH as pg of the future, it is both terrifying and confusing. It's said on this board that JH wants to be pg and considers that her natural position. But why? She's obviously a scorer; isn't it common bball knowledge that having to handle and distribute inhibits scoring? How long into next season before we're saying poor Jordan would score more if only she didn't have to play pg? (Actually its already been said, nonsensically, that JH made so many tos bc she was "forced" to play pg due to JM's failure to "play hard".) Maybe its old school, but I thought a super steady handle like JM and a dynamite scorer just waiting for the fuse to be lit like JH would be a really good backcourt combo.

Hopefully this is all stupid speculation on my part and we'll get a ready-to-start elite pg and JH will happily slide over to her real natural role, shooting guard. If not, we better hope JH, Davis, and Burrell can outscore their turnovers, and that a decent backup pg who is willing to wait comes our way.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcannon1
Yes and someone on this site pointed out Coach is going up against programs that have been recruiting these players for years. I will Be disappointed if we do not get a point guard and power forward like the young lady from Canada, L. Lattimore.
Lattimire named Kentucky, Florida and Syracuse as her finalists, unfortunately.

We do? Didn't we just hand the keys to a sophomore? Are we now looking for someone who wants to be backup the next three years? That would probably rule out elite pg recruits.

I need major clarity (which I doubt I'll get) on a big question: did Jaz leave bc KJH decided JH is the pg of the future? JM's departure is SO mysterious, the only real clue being the always reliable Deer Park saying it was bc of a difference in approach to the role of pg btw coach and player. If (big if) KJH decided she's rather having a scoring pg than a good ball handler and is fully invested in JH as pg, it may be hard to get an elite recruit to be a 3yr backup.

If indeed the decision has been made to go with JH as pg of the future, it is both terrifying and confusing. It's said on this board that JH wants to be pg and considers that her natural position. But why? She's obviously a scorer; isn't it common bball knowledge that having to handle and distribute inhibits scoring? How long into next season before we're saying poor Jordan would score more if only she didn't have to play pg? (Actually its already been said, nonsensically, that JH made so many tos bc she was "forced" to play pg due to JM's failure to "play hard".) Maybe its old school, but I thought a super steady handle like JM and a dynamite scorer just waiting for the fuse to be lit like JH would be a really good backcourt combo.

Hopefully this is all stupid speculation on my part and we'll get a ready-to-start elite pg and JH will happily slide over to her real natural role, shooting guard. If not, we better hope JH, Davis, and Burrell can outscore their turnovers, and that a decent backup pg who is willing to wait comes our way.
Hopefully the Coaches are not recruiting any point guard and telling them they are going to be a backup. I also hope that Kellie is not in anyway saying that Horston is the starting point guard next season. I am hoping that we will get a senior in here that will be the starter or at least the chance to be so as JMO Horston did not play that well at the point position. She made some good decisions, but just as many bad ones. Were not going to get anybody for next season or in this recruiting class if were saying that they are the backup. No one wants to be the backup. Hard to understand why Horston would not want to play some two guard or even small forward, but she has to be a lot better to be the point guard going forward or were in deep trouble and so is this coaching staff. Already have a lot of people doubting this staff and that will increase if the 2021 class is not a great one and we don't see responsible decisions in personnel and where they can play.
Really hard to define what it means role of PG coach and player. Does this mean that Kellie wanted Jaz to take a more leadership role on the floor getting on players that weren't doing their job or role or that she thought Kellie was asking to much of the point guard position like wanting her to take more of an offensive approach. If it was either of these and she didn't want to accept the challenge or deal with this much responsibility then probably best for all that she left. Maybe Deerpark will clear this up more.

The problem with a new senior PG is that they still need to learn the offense and become an expert in running it in just a few months.

Reactions: Amb3096

The MVP of the NCAA for last year was a PG (Sabrina Ionescu) who had Freshmen numbers of
14.6 points, 6.6 rebounds and 5.5 assists, 2.8 turnovers, per game
Jordan Horston's Freshman numbers:
10.1 points, 5.5 rebounds, 4.6 assists, 4.6 turnovers, per game

Add 5 points, 1 rebound,1 assist and drop 2 turnovers a game and she equals the best player in college basketballs Freshman campaign.

I'll take that!

Last edited:
Is she the same type of player as Striplin or would she be more of a post type player? Striplin plays in the post mostly but can be a stretch 4 as well.
Not really, Striplin plays more of a stretch 4, like Lou. From what I’ve seen/read, Hollingshead plays more power forward, like Bashaara Graves but few inches taller - believe 6’5 now.
Edit: Appears her HS team won state title = Article Not many videos but found one which is year old = Video

Last edited:
The MVP of the NCAA for last year was a PG (Sabrina Ionescu) who had Freshmen numbers of
14.6 points, 6.6 rebounds and 5.5 assists, 2.8 turnovers, per game
Jordan Horston's Freshman numbers:
10.1 points, 5.5 rebounds, 4.6 assists, 4.6 turnovers, per game

Add 5 points, 1 rebound,1 assist and drop 2 turnovers a game and she equals the best player in college basketballs Freshman campaign.

I'll take that!
Just as important or more important are percentages. 39 percent shooting and 59 percent from the free throw line need to see a lot of improvement as a sophomore. She played 26 minutes a game and that will probably go up to over thirty so she has to cut the turnovers as it was something like 7 per forty minutes played. I have a lot of confidence that she is going to be a lot better in all these categories still I hope that we have another solid point guard on the roster. We must have another option for performance reasons as well as possible injury reasons.

Reactions: Lucy and VA_VOLFAN
I thought Jordan had a very good freshman season. I will also say I think she is a far better player than how she played last season. I'm certainly believe this year she will be one of the top players in the SEC. I think she has that kind of talent. To get there she does have to be a better shooter both at the line and in the field. I have total confidence that she will do just that.

All of these players are working right now.
At a time when no gyms are available, they are finding a place to work,,, and play

Reactions: krichunaka
...committing to Louisville as per her IG posted by a follower on Margo's FB page.

Come on Kellie... Tennessee needs some more studs from this class!
That gives Louisville a full roster for next season and the season after unless somebody leaves. Of course there has been a lot of leaving at that school so we'll see what happens from here. Hope he didn't tell them all that they are starters or will get a lot of playing time not going to happen.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I'm not piling on Kellie yet...it's early, and she has a chance to make her mark. But she needs to start getting some recruiting wins. With the transfers in the upcoming season and Rennia only having one year left, the next two recruiting classes/portal poaching will be critical for the future of the program.
2021 has to be a top class think most would agree that is where it must start. That means we must get about three more off the list hopefully four can't totally whiff on the list and don't believe we will. Right now I feel were in good shape with Puckett and maybe Key.

VN Store

Back