Paul Finebaum. What's with his bama love when he's UT grad?

Not taking up for Paul but I have met him and do believe he is a TN fan. Unless he wants to talk about what a cluster#$$% the TN program has been what else would he talk about. And he is host of an SECNW show which means you talk about all the teams and Bama is the SEC right now.

Having said this I do believe him to be a total ass at times but that's how he has made his career.

He actually first gained notoriety at the Knoxville News Sentinel. I can remember when he moved from Knoxville to the Birmingham news paper. That was long before sports radio.

I was thinking on a national scale. I've read that he worked at the Daily Beacon and KNS, but I doubt too many outside of Knoxville were aware of him back then. Phyllis from Mulga first brought him to my attention, thanks to her calls going viral on the internet.

I was thinking on a national scale. I've read that he worked at the Daily Beacon and KNS, but I doubt too many outside of Knoxville were aware of him back then. Phyllis from Mulga first brought him to my attention, thanks to her calls going viral on the internet.

I was at TN when he was there. He wrote controversial sports articles for the Daily Beacon and found out quickly that got a lot of readers that both liked and hated him. He didn't care which one. That has served him well his entire career.

It's a little more complicated than just saying $$$$$$.

Finebaum started out as a reporter....But I think he only said he was also a Bama fan to endear himself to the bulk of his radio listenership. But who knows.

I agree with you. If you have only been around for the last 15 years you think he is a Bama homer. He is, but this is mainly due to his show. Today he is mostly a call in show host and he does what he does to get and goad callers.

He used to be a excellent investigate journalist and he was equally hard on all schools at various times. He was not always popular with any school but he did not care.

I do not listen or watch his show. I hate it. However, if you can separate his rhetoric from his real opinions, he is still good. His interviews are excellent. However it gets harder to tell the rhetoric from his true thoughts so I take all with a grain of salt these days.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Well he is in the business of making money talking football Bama is on top right now and TN is on bottom. He knows it makes the UT fan base mad to talk Bama Love so you listen to his show and talk about his show . Bama fans love him talking about his show so win win for him. I do not watch or talk about his show so I win LOL

Am I the only one that gets sick just looking at the guy. His obsession with bama is so obvious and Espn loves him for it. You're a grad of UT for pete's sake! I can't watch Sec network because of this guy anymore Thoughts. Comments. Who agrees?
Well how many nattys they got since 2005 vs how many sec east does tenn have?

It didn't go unnoticed that he implied that "get vaccinated or forfeit games". Good for him! The same should go for all school kids. We already have a bunch of shots kids must have to even start to 1st grade and before. One more on the list should make no difference.
You are one of those people who like to tell others what is best for them. lol For me, it is a personal decision each person should have the FREEDOM to make for themselves. Plenty of false information out there about the COVID shots, good and bad. I appreciate your "concern" for others but people should be able to think for themselves and decide what is best for them. Thank you.

P.S. Equating the COVID shots with other vaccinations is not comparable. Need a better argument than that. If people want the shot then good for them and if they don't good for them as well.

Reactions: tbwhhs
Finebaum is the Jerry Springer of college football talk show hosts, and Alabama fans are a never-ending Springer show. His show creates drama and they eat it up. Sponsors do too.

Finebaum makes his living talking about SEC Football and like it or not, Alabama has been the best team in the SEC for the last 10-12 years. If he just tells the truth about the Tide, it sounds like he's a homer. Volunteer Football needs to give Paul something positive to talk about. His show is very entertaining if you don't take everything so dang personal.

Reactions: Sarms58
I am stunned that a man with a face like his, who dresses like its 1960 with a very irritating voice can have a TV career on ESPN. Especially considering he never played any sport and has little knowledge of the topics he discusses. This is quite amazing.

He went to Tennessee, but he never loved Tennessee, Tennessee never loved him as a young journalist, he went to Alabama, fell in love with the Bear, and the rest is history. He can't talk about the Bear without crying! I can't stand him, and I don't watch or listen to him!

I don't like him, he is a peckerhead, don't like or watch his show. He is however a host on espn. He talks about what sells, and that's bama. Reporters do click bait headlines for the same reason. I love my team, but we just don't have anything to talk about right now. Being a UT grad don't make him a living. If we start beating those teams we need to beat along with a few upsets we will get more air time. Again I can't stand him.
Peckerhead is the perfect description of the guy.

I don't like him, he is a peckerhead, don't like or watch his show. He is however a host on espn. He talks about what sells, and that's bama. Reporters do click bait headlines for the same reason. I love my team, but we just don't have anything to talk about right now. Being a UT grad don't make him a living. If we start beating those teams we need to beat along with a few upsets we will get more air time. Again I can't stand him.

Yup. You have to understand that Bama is now a national brand and ESPN is broadcast everywhere. $$$$$

Am I the only one that gets sick just looking at the guy. His obsession with bama is so obvious and Espn loves him for it. You're a grad of UT for pete's sake! I can't watch Sec network because of this guy anymore Thoughts. Comments. Who agrees?

Because Alabama football (more specifically stupid-ass Alabama and Auburn football fans) made his career what it is. He lives (or lived) in Birmingham and built an empire pitting Bama fans and Auburn fans on the radio.

Its not really his fault that Alabama and to a lesser degree Auburn had great national success over the last 15 years. It was a perfect storm for him and his career.

Meanwhile, Tennessee has been a stinking hell hole of a football program over that same time period with nothing but pure embarrassment to talk about. No bright spots to speak of on a national level. What sports broadcaster outside of Knoxville "loves" UT?

I hate to sound like a smart alec, but this isn't any news that the vast majority of UT fans don't know. Add in the fact he was tossed from the locker room by CFP years ago PF took a hatred for UT ten fold. As having been mentioned, he's made a living pitting UA vs AU..... and any time he could snipe at UT and pull them in he didn't miss a beat,

When Alabama went on probation he made it a point to center on CPF and UT, Ratings is all he cares about. I actually met him once and thought I was about to be arrested because I made it known he was a POS and asked how can you live with yourself but his bank account explains that. He is a wormy guy, bet he doesn't weigh 125 pounds and he's the epitome of the word Richard cranium. Now I feel terrible by even addressing this moron. If I never have to hear his name or see his face I could die happy.

And to make matters worse, look around ETN and all the people wearing bama gear. Sickening!!! Gotta pull for the winners, not the Home Team. Of course we need CJH to get us turned around too and that is a big job

the butter comes from listeners and viewers. There would be considerably more UT fans listening/watching/calling if he was gushing about the Vols.
True, but he won't and can't get as much BS out of UT fans as he can and does from his long time Bama loudmouths that have been cultivated over many years.

Reactions: VOLfrombama
You are one of those people who like to tell others what is best for them. lol For me, it is a personal decision each person should have the FREEDOM to make for themselves. Plenty of false information out there about the COVID shots, good and bad. I appreciate your "concern" for others but people should be able to think for themselves and decide what is best for them. Thank you.

P.S. Equating the COVID shots with other vaccinations is not comparable. Need a better argument than that. If people want the shot then good for them and if they don't good for them as well.

NO I personally don't give a big damn what other people do. I just was pointing out what we have been doing as a society for most of my life. What is the difference in vacs? Both cover long term health problems? C-19 is not going away. It has proven it's ability to change and seems to be part of the landscape from here on out.

VN Store

Back