Paul Finebaum and Marcus Spears have been removed from SEC Nation

With ESPN’s management, I’m surprised it isn’t Tessitore and Booger.

Seriously, I don’t understand this move. Can anyone enlighten me?

Marcus Spears is moving to NFL coverage full-time. ESPN considers him a rising star in studio coverage and they're expanding NFL Live starting in July.

Paul Finebaum cannot travel because of some undisclosed health issues. He will announce a new contract with ESPN this fall for his show to continue on the SEC Network for years to come.

The report I saw said Laura is returning to SEC nation, along with Tebow, and adding Jordan Rodgers. See link:
Report: SEC Nation undergoing overhaul for 2020, with 2 main analysts leaving
I really like Marcus, sorry to see him go, but this is apparently a promotion which I think he deserves. As an ex-Vandy player, Rodgers talks down Tennessee sometimes, so we will see how that goes. I don't remember Marcus ever talking down about any team, usually gave good analysis about various SEC football situations. Interesting news.

Maybe not recently. Why the mass layoffs previously?

Well, first the layoffs were company-wide at their corporate parent Disney, meaning even profitable divisions had to make cuts.

Second, the amount of money they paid for rights fees to the NBA, Major League Baseball and the NFL have increased by nearly a billion dollars in the last five years while cable subscriptions have gone down.

Despite that, ESPN is still profitable before they ever sell a single ad. And they sell a lot of them. Bless the bundle. 80 million people still subscribe to cable/satellite bundles that include ESPN and every one of them is paying an average of $11 a month for ESPN. That's $880 million every month before one ad is sold. Add another 7 million people that subscribe to ESPN+ streaming service at an average of $4 a month and you're at over $900 million every month. They're fine.

Well, first the layoffs were company-wide at their corporate parent Disney, meaning even profitable divisions had to make cuts.

Second, the amount of money they paid for rights fees to the NBA, Major League Baseball and the NFL have increased by nearly a billion dollars in the last five years while cable subscriptions have gone down.

Despite that, ESPN is still profitable before they ever sell a single ad. And they sell a lot of them. Bless the bundle. 80 million people still subscribe to cable/satellite bundles that include ESPN and every one of them is paying an average of $11 a month for ESPN. That's $880 million every month before one ad is sold. Add another 7 million people that subscribe to ESPN+ streaming service at an average of $4 a month and you're at over $900 million every month. They're fine.
So they had to restructure. Sounds fine.

I'm probably in the minority but I'm so very sick of listening to other people (supposed experts in their field) talk at me for hours on game day, news day, holiday, etc etc and have completely revamped my life mostly to NOT include any of this stuff going forward. Its all to make money, all politicized, all "take advantage of what's hot today", all dumbed down, etc and I knew this for a while but have just this year started to take action in my own personal life. I'll not watch a single minute of the NFL, NBA, WNBA, etc etc this year much less the talking heads that drone on endlessly to fill the vacuum the media, including sports media, have created. And I'll probably curtail a lot of the NCAA as well. I think all we've been through this year has finally taught me how damaging a constant diet of all this stuff is and has exposed those who want to exploit it for gain of money, fame, politics, etc . Actually I could not care less what Paul or Marcus thing about ANYTHING so why would I sit and listen for hours at that stuff? Not singling out those two (actually did kinda like Spears take sometimes) but good riddance. What will I do with all this free time? Maybe spend it will my children and grandchildren!!!

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me but, I've always thought Pawl is such a big bore & waste of time ...... I never watched his show more than a few minutes at a time on the SEC channel. Good Lord ....... talk about Bama LSU plus Georgia. They hardly ever would talk about Tenn and their great program until a coaching change would come along.
Not going to watch his big ears talk for 4 freaking hours of BS as far as I'm concern. I don't miss him at all.

PF is a decent interviewer when it’s someone he’s not intimidated by (like a coach, AD, he’s a slow pitch softball pitcher) but thats it. And listening to rednecks fight their radio talk show wars from 1990 is a complete bore.

Reactions: sierraorange
These type shows require some type of the ability to generate some excitement, bye the tone of voice, facial expression, something. Paul, with his laid back persona can put out a bonfire. Not a good fit for the anchor of this type of show. He could fit in as a spot contributor now and then, especially where something concerning Bama is required.

Marcus Spears is moving to NFL coverage full-time. ESPN considers him a rising star in studio coverage and they're expanding NFL Live starting in July.

Paul Finebaum cannot travel because of some undisclosed health issues. He will announce a new contract with ESPN this fall for his show to continue on the SEC Network for years to come.

Thanks.

Issue to me is becoming more and more political! ESPN has been as about leftwing as it gets. They couldnt leave sports alone, Now that all Confederate Generals and soldiers are openly referred to as Traitors any reference to South will be too much. As the great Poet "Billy Idol" claimed "WITH A REBEL YELL! SHE CRIED MO, MO, MO!

SEC Network should have Never Let espn take over. The SEC network is actually better than anything espn trots out. That said, Finebaum is a Tool.

Love Marcus, and Paul was not too bad. I think Rodgers should go kick rocks. But on the bright side, I won’t have to hear him call UT games! That is a huge win...

VN Store

Back