Path to a bowl game

The Stockdale Paradox comes to mind. When Admiral Stockdale, who commanded POW's in the Viet Nam War, was asked "who didn't make it?", he said, "That's easy. The optimists."

POW's who were optimistic would think "We will be home by Christmas." And Christmas would come and Christmas would go and still stuck in the Hanoi Hilton. "We'll be home by Easter" and Easter would come and Easter would go. The optimists would slowly feel the light burn out of their eyes and they would become numb, susceptible and die.

The realists not only survived, but thrived. They KNEW that they would be rescued or freed one day in the future, but never once doubted it. Nor did they sugarcoat their situation. "We are in hell" they would say ... but one day, we'll be out. So the important thing to do is survive until that day.

Folks who keep thinking, "We can still make a bowl" are the optimists. And soon to be disappointed. Better to think, "We are challenged right now, and it's tough. But my spirit will never waive that one day, UT will win again." THAT is positive thinking with a purpose.

Correct. BYU is not very good. They re better than Ga ST, but not good.

But UT did play better football Saturday outside the QB. That actually got worse.

I would say byu is on par with this year's Vandy, maybe a little better. It wouldn't surprise me if they beat usc this week.

No I haven’t been sniffing glue, drinking moonshine or smoking crack. I truly believe if we continue our game by game improvement on the same trajectory as from game 1 to game 2 that we can win 6 games.

JG has to play better...not lights out, just better. Simplify his reads. Two reads for every pass play and then check down or run. OL needs to continue to improve. BYU was a big step in right direction but they need to establish a starting 5 this week to start building chemistry and cohesiveness. Our defensive leader Bituli comes back and adds stability to the defense and the freshmen studs need to keep growing and learning. Defense MUST generate turnovers! Coaching...I really liked Pruitt’s comments today to the Touchdown club despite the out of context Titanic comment. He seems to be circling the wagons and I think the players will respond.

If this occurs, like I think it will...we can find 6 wins.

1. UTC
2. South Carolina
3. UAB
4. MS State or Missouri
5. Kentucky
6. Vandy

If you don’t agree that’s fine. No need to respond and say and say so. I know I’m in the minority. Honestly I’m most worried about the JG aspect. He has to play better but I still believe in this team and by damn it feels a lot better to have hope each Saturday.

Appreciate your input OP. Hopefully we can find those 6+ wins (trying to be positive). For me, its just one game at a time after this disappointing start. Go Vols.

JG has to play better...not lights out, just better. Simplify his reads. Two reads for every pass play and then check down or run.
The issue with this isn't that JG needs to simplify his reads...it's that he doesn't really make reads at all. On most of his drop backs, he instantaneously locks onto one receiver on one side of the field. There is no true reading of the field. He plays QB like a lot of younger kids play EA Madden football.

A range of outcomes ensues after that:
- the WR he locked on to is actually open, resulting in a completion
- the WR he locked on to is open, but he's late with the ball, resulting in an incompletion or INT
- the WR he locked onto isn't open, so he throws it to his check down guy even though there might be one or more WRs open at other parts of the field

Reactions: lifeVol
The issue with this isn't that JG needs to simplify his reads...it's that he doesn't really make reads at all. On most of his drop backs, he instantaneously locks onto one receiver on one side of the field. There is no true reading of the field. He plays QB like a lot of younger kids play EA Madden football.

A range of outcomes ensues after that:
- the WR he locked on to is actually open, resulting in a completion
- the WR he locked on to is open, but he's late with the ball, resulting in an incompletion or INT
- the WR he locked onto isn't open, so he throws it to his check down guy even though there might be one or more WRs open at other parts of the field
This.

This Vol team can’t even get lined up correctly and are 0-2
Yet fans are talking bowl game

Don’t throw in the towel

Don’t have to be a d*ck about it. Constructive feedback or don’t reply.
Some can't help it, they were bullied as children and now their, employers, kids and wives tell them what to do and the only place they feel "big" is here. Don't take that away from them.

Reactions: Pineyvol
No I haven’t been sniffing glue, drinking moonshine or smoking crack. I truly believe if we continue our game by game improvement on the same trajectory as from game 1 to game 2 that we can win 6 games.

JG has to play better...not lights out, just better. Simplify his reads. Two reads for every pass play and then check down or run. OL needs to continue to improve. BYU was a big step in right direction but they need to establish a starting 5 this week to start building chemistry and cohesiveness. Our defensive leader Bituli comes back and adds stability to the defense and the freshmen studs need to keep growing and learning. Defense MUST generate turnovers! Coaching...I really liked Pruitt’s comments today to the Touchdown club despite the out of context Titanic comment. He seems to be circling the wagons and I think the players will respond.

1. UTC Win
2. South Carolina Win
3. UAB
4. MS State Win or Missouri
5. Kentucky
6. Vandy

If you don’t agree that’s fine. No need to respond and say and say so. I know I’m in the minority. Honestly I’m most worried about the JG aspect. He has to play better but I still believe in this team and by damn it feels a lot better to have hope each Saturday.

So far we are still on the path. Hopefully the injuries don’t derail things but I’m still confident we’re headed for a bowl.

1. UTC W
2. South Carolina W
3. UAB W
4. MS State or Missouri W and W
5. Kentucky W
6. Vandy SOON!

Shameless (and last) bump. Let it be known that I (and a few others) BELIEVED this was possible even after 0&2! Props to those that scooted out on the limb with me!

1. UTC
2. South Carolina
3. UAB
4. MS State or Missouri
5. Kentucky
6. Vandy

The man is a prophet!

I knew we could do it, I just didn't think we would do it. The QB play was so bad early on, that my confidence in them getting to as bowl game was very low. I was very critical of JG early in the season, but he has come through as a trooper and we have seen what he can really do. The team has played well, and they deserve to be happy. After their 0-2 start, if they go 7-5 that would be nothing short of amazing and fantastic.

GO VOLS - BEAT VANDY!

Reactions: DowsaTV

VN Store

Back