Pastner negative recruitment towards UT...

What are you trying to argue? That Pastner's a better coach?

No, Pastner has only been coach for 3 years...so that is all I can look upon when compared to any coach for that matter. I would bet you can't find a coach in the country who has a better record with recruits, wins, NCAA appearances, etc in their first 3 years then Pastner!

No, Pastner has only been coach for 3 years...so that is all I can look upon when compared to any coach for that matter. I would bet you can't find a coach in the country who has a better record with recruits, wins, NCAA appearances, etc in their first 3 years then Pastner!

Its easy to win when your given a team that has 5x more talent then the second best team in the conference. Cal made Memphis a hotspot and now Pastner can conveniently recruit with much more ease then other first time HCs. Imagine if Pastner was the HC at memphis when Cal took over. How would his record look then?

Its easy to win when your given a team that has 5x more talent then the second best team in the conference. Cal made Memphis a hotspot and now Pastner can conveniently recruit with much more ease then other first time HCs. Imagine if Pastner was the HC at memphis when Cal took over. How would his record look then?

Well, C'mon now. Cal had his share of trouble building Memphis' program. He's lost to Austin Peay, etc. in his first few seasons before things got rolling.

A lot of Memphis' momentum from Cal's regime was killed when he left. We missed a whole recruiting class, upperclassmen left prematurely, and we had to operate under NCAA sanctions. Pretty similar to what Martin had to deal with at UT when he followed the GOAT Bruce Pearl.

You can't argue that Pastner had it made at Memphis, then turn around and use that as a crutch for Martin. Does not compute.

If he has said it.....who cares? That's not even close to one of the worst things you can say about a coach and a program.

I 100% agree that the reason Pastner is recruiting so well is bc Cal coached there before him, why do you think coach Martin is recruiting so well following Bruce Pearl?

Well, C'mon now. Cal had his share of trouble building Memphis' program. He's lost to Austin Peay, etc. in his first few seasons before things got rolling.

A lot of Memphis' momentum from Cal's regime was killed when he left. We missed a whole recruiting class, upperclassmen left prematurely, and we had to operate under NCAA sanctions. Pretty similar to what Martin had to deal with at UT when he followed the GOAT Bruce Pearl.

You can't argue that Pastner had it made at Memphis, then turn around and use that as a crutch for Martin. Does not compute.

Memphis basketball program was in the dumps when Cal left for UK. Josh was left with not much at all to work with.

It is true that Memphis took a hit when Cal left. Lost a recruiting class and some players declared. Pastner still had more than enough talent to run through C-usa, however. Cal had a lot less coming into Memphis with much stronger opposition. When Cal left there were still great recruits eyeing Memphis and Pastner reels them in.

all i can say is, from what ive seen so far........i hope pastner stays at memphis for a very long time.

I am sure with the raise he got last season you have nothing to worry about, he would be a fool to leave Memphis with the kind of money he is making.

I am sure with the raise he got last season you have nothing to worry about, he would be a fool to leave Memphis with the kind of money he is making.

im pretty sure with the resume so far......the option of leaving memphis for a more lucrative job is pretty far fetched.

You should have heard Memphis radio this afternoon. The blind ignorance is amazing!
They were saying they could see going to Duke instead of Memphis but not Tennessee. Saying why would anyone do that. They act like Pastner is elite and don't give Martin a chance.
I guess they forgot that Pastner was the biggest "nobody" hire ever. I guess they don't know we had better attendance than Memphis last year, let alone compared to Pastners first year. I guess they forgot that Martin has 3 wins against ranked opponents in his first year while Pastner has NONE in 3 years. I guess they didn't know that since we started caring about basketball that we have achieved about as much success as they have, and that includes the Cal years. A level they will never see again. I guess they forgot UT has won 9 of the last 14 games head to head versus Memphis. I will give them credit for their passion in basketball, but there are other things that can sway young kids. Like the fact that UT campus and college life is much better, other sports like football factor in, and there is no comparing beautiful east TN with the sh!t hole that is Memphis!

RANT OVER!

You must have been listening to Gary Parrish.

I will admit Knoxville is 10x more fun then Lex. The fact the Pigeon Forge is only 45 min away makes it all the sweeter.
Go Karts FTFW!!!

Thought id share...

A poster on TOS who is a pretty decen poster (not a troll) says he spoke with a Memphis booster today (poster is from Memphis). Says the booster told him that Pastner is telling AN that Martin is going to leave for the Big10 at first opportunity, and this is how he's trying to sway Nichols. Supposedly Pastner isn't even pushing the come to Memphis aspect, as much as he is, don't go to Tennessee.

Fwiw, galilee and some other posters over there who are solid or know the Nichols...say this will only help UT because he comes from a good family and negative recruitment will do nothing but hurt their chances.

Just thought I'd share.

BTO --- as the recognized leader of this board, you took third-hand "info" and threw it to your minions as THE TRUTH. And I think you did it KNOWING CJP wouldn't stoop to anything that smacked of negative recruiting. It's obvious you have a thing for Pastner, but this is a new low for you.

Reactions: 2 people
BTO --- as the recognized leader of this board, you took third-hand "info" and threw it to your minions as THE TRUTH. And I think you did it KNOWING CJP wouldn't stoop to anything that smacked of negative recruiting. It's obvious you have a thing for Pastner, but this is a new low for you.

I try to let stuff like that roll off my back. When Cal gets slammed on here i bite my tongue and ignore it. This is a UT board after all.

Did you mean to type "pussed out", Ke$ha?

As for ban bets, I would never enter into a ban bet with you. You lose, you off yourself b/c this board is what keeps you going, then the blood is on my hands. I don't need that evil on me.

I just can't imagine what possess a MEMPHIS TIGER fan to hang out CONSTANTLY on a UT VOLS site.....JUST BIZARRE TO ME!

Probably need to add "playing in weaker league".....

Probably need to add "playing in weaker league".....

Whatever...doesn't matter; no real way to compare. I DO know Pastner won more games in his first 3 years then any other Tiger coach and the first year Memphis had 7 scholarship players and zero freshmen. Thats all im saying.

For a 35 year old coach going into his 4 season....he has done VERY good. Has he underacheived...Maybe, BUT there isn't a single coach in the country that has done what he has in their first 3 years of coaching.

BOTTOM LINE

Whatever...doesn't matter; no real way to compare. I DO know Pastner won more games in his first 3 years then any other Tiger coach and the first year Memphis had 7 scholarship players and zero freshmen. Thats all im saying.

For a 35 year old coach going into his 4 season....he has done VERY good. Has he underacheived...Maybe, BUT there isn't a single coach in the country that has done what he has in their first 3 years of coaching.

BOTTOM LINE

What, go 0-2 in the NCAA tournament? Yeah, screams John Wooden right there.

Pastner is a hall monitor for that roster and the best thing about it is that Tiger fans will make the same excuses Vol fans make for Dooley once Boy Wonder starts losing on a regular basis in the Big East.

Until then, Tiger fans can fellate themselves over their near-Duke status within Shelby County, while the rest of the country couldn't give two ****s about them.

- Can Memphis fans tell me about the great Pastner taking his Memphis team from the top 10 out of the top 25 within 3 weeks last year, never to return?

- Can you explain to me, in vivid detail, how difficult it is to win in Hattiesburg? Or a reasonable explanation for losing by 15 points to noted basketball powerhouse Rice?

- Can one of you tell me why Pastner, the next Calipari, failed to beat a single ranked team in three years despite pulling in four 5-star players in that time period? Hell, Martin beat 3 last year alone with a makeshift roster.

Please, explain these to me, I'm dying to hear from you.

Last edited:
Thought id share...

A poster on TOS who is a pretty decen poster (not a troll) says he spoke with a Memphis booster today (poster is from Memphis). Says the booster told him that Pastner is telling AN that Martin is going to leave for the Big10 at first opportunity, and this is how he's trying to sway Nichols. Supposedly Pastner isn't even pushing the come to Memphis aspect, as much as he is, don't go to Tennessee.

Fwiw, galilee and some other posters over there who are solid or know the Nichols...say this will only help UT because he comes from a good family and negative recruitment will do nothing but hurt their chances.

Just thought I'd share.
What, negative recruiting in college sports? That can't be true. :cray:

BTO, you know I think you are a quality poster, but...who cares man?

If this is the worst Pastner has said about Cuonzo Martin and UT, then he's a better man than 90% of college basketball coaches. And why would Pastner care about where Austin Nichols ends up? Because he's not going to any of Memphis' competitors.

This isn't negative recruiting. This is just playing an angle. Huge difference.

Reactions: 1 person

The Truth??

That's what the words, just thought I'd share this, and this is from TOS now means???

This is no different than posting a rumor and saying...this is a rumor just thought I'd share, doesn't mean I think it's true, just sharing with people.

BTO, you know I think you are a quality poster, but...who cares man?

If this is the worst Pastner has said about Cuonzo Martin and UT, then he's a better man than 90% of college basketball coaches. And why would Pastner care about where Austin Nichols ends up? Because he's not going to any of Memphis' competitors.

This isn't negative recruiting. This is just playing an angle. Huge difference.

JUST THOUGHT ID SHARE....that what I plainly put in the OP. it's not something I claimed to be true, or am trying to convince anyone is true...I'm simply sharing with someone. This is no different than linking an article that has UT outside the top 50 or something, and using it as a conversation piece. Doesn't mean that I agree with the article, just means I'm bringing it up to share.

You ask why he cares??? I've heard John Martin of the commercial appeal say Nichols is one of the 5 most important recruits in Memphis history...losing him no matter where it's too isn't something that will sit well.

VN Store

Back