Pac-12 player group threatens to opt out, makes list of demands on injustice, safety

VolFaninFla

Pac-12 players threaten to opt out, list demands
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
If their demands are met, or if they come to some kind of resolution, I imagine that players across the conferences will be looking to do the same.
I still think that with all of the money that some sports bring in to the coffers, that they should have some sort of financial compensation in addition to their scholarships.

"The group's list of demands, according to the text message, includes safe play amid the pandemic, fighting racial injustice, securing economic rights and fair compensation, protecting all sports and obtaining long-term health insurance.

People familiar with the group's mission told ESPN that the central issue it wants to address with the league and its schools is racial injustice."

From here https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pac-12-players-covid-19-statement-football-season

"Preserve All Existing Sports by Eliminating Excessive Expenditures
Larry Scott, administrators, and coaches to voluntarily and drastically reduce excessive pay." :)

End lavish facility expenditures and use some endowment funds to preserve all sports.*
*As an example, Stanford University should reinstate all sports discontinued by tapping into their $27.7 billion endowment.

"In partnership with the Pac-12, 2% of conference revenue would be directed by players to support financial aid for low-income Black students, community initiatives, and development programs for college athletes on each campus."

"Medical insurance selected by players for sports-related medical conditions, including COVID- 19 illness, to cover six years after college athletics eligibility ends."

"Distribute 50% of each sport’s total conference revenue evenly among athletes in their respective sports....Six-year athletic scholarships to foster undergraduate and graduate degree completion."

How are they making this about racial injustice? Do African American not have the same opportunities as anyone else in college sports? The last time I checked football and basketball was predominantly black athletes. I see no problem with college athletes wanting to be able to receive pay for their name and likeness but for them to make it specifically about black athletes and exclude others, that’s really something there.

I will admit that grammar has always been my poorest subject. That said, I am wondering if I am going crazy as I am starting to the the term "black" written with an uppercase B. I dont recall that being a proper noun.

Really?

“Because unjust rules prevent the 98% of college football and basketball players who won’t go pro from capitalizing economically “on what would otherwise be the most valuable years of our lives, including many Black players from low-income homes, #WeAreUnited.”

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Really?

“Because unjust rules prevent the 98% of college football and basketball players who won’t go pro from capitalizing economically “on what would otherwise be the most valuable years of our lives, including many Black players from low-income homes, #WeAreUnited.”

There is so much stupid in that document that it would take hours to dissect it all.

But I noticed that one also. They think their 20s are supposed to be the most valuable years of their lives? This thing looks like it was written by a class of 10 year olds.

Athletes are paying attention, don't like what they hear in push to start college football
Dan Wolken
USA TODAY Aug 2, 2020

College football: Athletes push back on playing amid COVID-19 pandemic

"On Sunday morning, an unnamed group of Pac-12 players affiliated with the National Collegiate Players Association announced a list of demands that was also published on The Players Tribune to ensure their participation in the football season."

"Some of the demands are more easily achievable like expanded medical insurance for players after their eligibility, COVID-19 safety standards that are agreed to by players and monitored by an independent third party and initiatives to address racial injustice. Others will be viewed as controversial or simply impossible, in particular the demand to “distribute 50% of each sport’s total conference revenue evenly among athletes in their respective sports.”

Reactions: tricitiesvolsfan
There is so much stupid in that document that it would take hours to dissect it all.

But I noticed that one also. They think their 20s are supposed to be the most valuable years of their lives? This thing looks like it was written by a class of 10 year olds.
Exactly. People could break this down in so many different ways for a societal standpoint. Guys that I knew that played football at UT that didn’t make it pro had a huge advantage over just about anyone else graduating because they had hookups in the community. It’s not just about the League, it’s about the connections . The dumbest damn thing I ever did in Knoxville was turn down the opportunity to be one of the Lady Vols male practice players. I was too worried about partying and the short term instead of thinking about what it would’ve done for me.

Also, asked for cut in coach's salaries and spending on extravagant facilities with savings being used to find minor sports rather than dropping them.

FTR I am on board with NIL for players. I’m all for Eric Gray doing commercials for X dealership on the Airport Motor Mile and getting compensated. I do think there need to be some rules put in place that keep USC alums from offering 7 figures to a recruit from being in a Will Ferrell movie or something crazy like that.

Who is this group?
Who does this group represent?
Or are they just typical left wing left coast crazies trying to out scream common sense for attention?

ESPN will run crazy with this, fits their agenda.
At some point, we dumb ass people in the fly over states will have had enough and quit being sports fans.
Then ESPN can go broke. Players can pay for their own college education or go to work like everyone else.
Working class people will be the first fans lost.
Jock sniffers whose life accomplishments are high school sports will be last.

VN Store

Back