PAC-12 cancels football in Fall 2020.

Depends how you look at it. The Pac12 had a ton of players that were refusing to play. Recruits could also stay away from conferences and universities that will willingly put them in danger for the entertainment of people at home. That's a two-way street.

I'm not sure there are "tons" refusing to play. I've seen reports of 100+, but I have not seen a list. If their name isn't out there publically, I wouldn't take them seriously.

Players are in more danger in their home communities than in their university communities. On-campus, they have the best medical care available, incentives, and structure that will make them safer than being at home completely unsupervised. You think they will just sit in their room, nope. Without football, they will be going out with friends much more than if they were on-campus and training.

Unintended consequenses.

Reactions: chuckb1448 and A.J.
SEC, ACC, Big 12 are playing. BOOK IT!
th

I'm not sure there are "tons" refusing to play. I've seen reports of 100+, but I have not seen a list. If their name isn't out there publically, I wouldn't take them seriously.

Players are in more danger in their home communities than in their university communities. On-campus, they have the best medical care available, incentives, and structure that will make them safer than being at home completely unsupervised. You think they will just sit in their room, nope. Without football, they will be going out with friends much more than if they were on-campus and training.

Unintended consequenses.

This has yet to be proven IMO. I get the logic and probably some truth to it. HOWEVER, you gonna tell me 80+ teenagers and 20 somethings are gonna just sit in their dorm rooms and only "work out" and not go to bars and parties with the student population? Nah I ain't buying it. And then just like in MLB, a couple of dudes bring the virus into the training facility and locker rooms and boom 20 people have covid. Not just the players but trainers and coaches too.

The alternative, if each kid goes back to his hometown and one gets sick, the one doesn't infect the rest of the team.

The medical care part is probably true tho.

If they institute a policy with armed guards and curfews for the players then I may get on board with that but I'm not buying that these guys will "behave" once the fun begins.

Reactions: imw8n4u
This might be a reasonable concern. Pac-12 cancels fall 2020 college football season, aims to play in spring 2021

While the Big Ten's coaches were outspoken about wanting to play, the Pac-12's coaches were largely silent. Perhaps that is because the league's coaches and athletic directors were reportedly given "eye-opening" information Monday evening from Pac-12 doctors, specifically regarding myocarditis, a heart condition that can develop as a result of battling the coronavirus. The condition involves an inflammation of the heart muscle. It can reduce the heart's ability to pump, causing rapid or abnormal heartbeat.

Though COVID-19 had previously been linked to longer-lasting heart complications, the medical advice given to Pac-12 decision-makers was apparently enough to lead them to pull the plug on playing this fall.

Myocarditis emerged as a significant health concern that largely led to the Big Ten's decision, according to CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd. At least 15 Big Ten players have been left with myocarditis after contracting COVID-19, according to a high-ranking source within the Big Ten.

"Myocarditis is the ballgame right now," the source told Dodd. "Myocarditis is the major issue they're looking at. … Between the Pac-12 and the Big Ten, that's what is really driving the push to push this off to spring."

In its latest medical guidelines, the NCAA said infected persons "of any age" with underlying heart conditions are a risk. There's at least one Power Five school where athletes who test positive for the coronavirus automatically get an EKG. Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told the Associated Press on Sunday there was "growing evidence" of concern over myocarditis. Medical experts have told West Virginia athletic director Shane Lyons that moving to the spring "will give us more time to be able to understand if the virus does necessarily impact the heart."

Recovery from myocarditis can vary anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, according to Harvard Medical School.
"the NCAA said infected persons "of any age" with underlying heart conditions are a risk."

Playing football at that level is certainly already a risk for someone with a existing heart condition.

Reactions: Squoshua17
The alternative, if each kid goes back to his hometown and one gets sick, the one doesn't infect the rest of the team.

He goes home and gives it to mom and grandpaw. Grandpaw only has a 70% chance of making it.

There's a tremendous amount of peer pressure that can be applied to not bring the virus into the facility. I suspect that each team would come up with their own "bubble strategy". Break the "bubble" rules and you miss 14 days or potentially 3 games. It's much safer with oversight and good medical care than without any of that. Many of the #wewanttoplay guys have acknowledged as much.

This might be a reasonable concern. Pac-12 cancels fall 2020 college football season, aims to play in spring 2021

While the Big Ten's coaches were outspoken about wanting to play, the Pac-12's coaches were largely silent. Perhaps that is because the league's coaches and athletic directors were reportedly given "eye-opening" information Monday evening from Pac-12 doctors, specifically regarding myocarditis, a heart condition that can develop as a result of battling the coronavirus. The condition involves an inflammation of the heart muscle. It can reduce the heart's ability to pump, causing rapid or abnormal heartbeat.

Though COVID-19 had previously been linked to longer-lasting heart complications, the medical advice given to Pac-12 decision-makers was apparently enough to lead them to pull the plug on playing this fall.

Myocarditis emerged as a significant health concern that largely led to the Big Ten's decision, according to CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd. At least 15 Big Ten players have been left with myocarditis after contracting COVID-19, according to a high-ranking source within the Big Ten.

"Myocarditis is the ballgame right now," the source told Dodd. "Myocarditis is the major issue they're looking at. … Between the Pac-12 and the Big Ten, that's what is really driving the push to push this off to spring."

In its latest medical guidelines, the NCAA said infected persons "of any age" with underlying heart conditions are a risk. There's at least one Power Five school where athletes who test positive for the coronavirus automatically get an EKG. Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told the Associated Press on Sunday there was "growing evidence" of concern over myocarditis. Medical experts have told West Virginia athletic director Shane Lyons that moving to the spring "will give us more time to be able to understand if the virus does necessarily impact the heart."

Recovery from myocarditis can vary anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, according to Harvard Medical School.
That is confusing. Does this develop with a healthy heart after contracting covid? We've got 5 million confirmed cases. Are all of these people having heart problems?

I was a scholarship swimmer at Tennessee back in the day. When I was 17, I had pericarditis out of the blue. To this day, I have no idea what caused it. Just a random thing apparently, but it knocked me on my ass for over a month.

This is serious sh*t, guys. No sport is worth it. Not for your entertainment. Not for anything.

Just let it go.

Life will return eventually, and we'll appreciate football and everything else that much more.

Unintended consequenses.
"Tons" would be 4000 lbs so assuming (conservatively) 200 lbs per player, you're only talking 20 players.

Reactions: hmhawk and 37620VOL
Have you lived under a rock the last decade? Look at all the ways they have changed football to mitigate concussions (and lawsuits). But you cant change the rules of football to stop a virus unless you get a 15 yard penalty for getting within two yards of another player.LOL
Anybody that has ever watched PAC 12 football already knows that wouldn't be an issue for PAC 12 defenses.

Life will return eventually, and we'll appreciate football and everything else that much more.

That's debatable. covd19 may not be going anywhere. Per polling, only 42% of people are going to get the vaccine. A vaccine that we optimistically hope is 75% effective.

As long as hospitals are not getting overwhelmed, we need to get back to living while taking reasonable safeguards. This virus is going to be with us for a LONNNNG time.

That is confusing. Does this develop with a healthy heart after contracting covid? We've got 5 million confirmed cases. Are all of these people having heart problems?

A lot of people are yes. Ace2 receptors which the virus attacks are prevalent in the lungs, heart, gut, and kidneys. There have been ongoing issues of people recovering but developing clotting problems, stroke, heart attack and so on.

That's debatable. covd19 may not be going anywhere. Per polling, only 42% of people are going to get the vaccine. A vaccine that we optimistically hope is 75% effective.

As long as hospitals are not getting overwhelmed, we need to get back to living while taking reasonable safeguards. This virus is going to be with us for a LONNNNG time.

I agree. The financial markets don't thought. Here we are at new highs like COVID ain't even here. It's crazy.

So will the athletes only get miocarditis if they play a sport? They’ll be on campus, right?

Have you lived under a rock the last decade? Look at all the ways they have changed football to mitigate concussions (and lawsuits). But you cant change the rules of football to stop a virus unless you get a 15 yard penalty for getting within two yards of another player.LOL

None of which changes have any empirical efficacy in preventing CTE which is linked to repeated subconcussive hits. We are in the infancy of CTE litigation. If schools do not receive liability protection, football might ultimately be in danger of extinction, at least as currently played.

They are at a higher risk of dying from it if they play contact sports
Contact sports? Not a doctor but it seems to me underlying heart problems would be a bigger issue for highly aerobic sports like track, cycling, etc. Not sure how contact could increase the risk to the heart

I was a scholarship swimmer at Tennessee back in the day. When I was 17, I had pericarditis out of the blue. To this day, I have no idea what caused it. Just a random thing apparently, but it knocked me on my ass for over a month.

This is serious sh*t, guys. No sport is worth it. Not for your entertainment. Not for anything.

Just let it go.

AND AGAIN they are SAFER while adhering to the protocols that would be enforced by the universities medical team.

If you cared about the players then you would realize that fact, as many of the players have stated.

MWAVolfan picked up on it first. When I noticed I posted a thread on the B-Ball forum. The PAC 12 is also zapping basketball for 2020. Lord no, not that, too.

You're going to be disappointed.
The amount of people that think there's actually going to be football in the fall, c'mon...It sucks, it REALLY sucks, but it's just an inevitability at this point...And the very best thing we can hope for at this point is some freakish, Frankenstein Spring season.

I hate it, but it is what it is.

Despite everyone’s efforts to say COVID doesn’t affect young athletes, myocarditis from COVID is real. I don’t envy Sankey right now. Tough decision

The problem is what this means when it comes to litigation exposure. Let's say the SEC plays and an athlete gets very sick, just one, which the statistics say will happen out of that sample size. Doesn't matter if he dies, experiences long-term heart issues or long-term lung issues. Now the lawyers come in, not the hacks but top tier plaintiffs' attorneys (these are the guys that almost never lose). They will argue that the university took an unreasonable risk in light of the fact that several mid-majors and at least 2 of the majors cancelled their season, but the evil university this athlete played for put money above his life and that the kid couldn't really say no because of peer pressure, pressure from the coaches or fear of loss of scholarship.

The damages, particularly the punitives, could add up to hundreds of millions. I believe you'll see at least one more Power 5 cancel and at that point the two remaining ones won't want to assume that risk.

You may not think the Pac-12 and the Big-10 are not any good but if they're not going to play, it significantly increases the probability the season gets cancelled.

VN Store

Back